Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37923 - 06 Dec 06 12:10 Motorcycle ignorance
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Fools I say, fools, the whole lot of them!
The excerpt below was in the woeful JP without any corrections or qualifications from the journo or editors.
Modern-day motorized vehicles using internal combustion engines (as all these motorcycles do) have something called an ALTERNATOR (like a mini generator) which powers all the electric stuff on motorcycles and cars while the engine is running...So how does his battery go flat?? I've always strongly suspected this with Indonesians, as taxi drivers and others are remiss to use electronic stuff, such as lights until it's pitch black, AC on the lowest setting etc.. Didn't they study physical science and do the fun experiments in elementary school?? HOLY MOLY BATMAN, I KNEW THE SCHOOLS WERE PROBLEMATIC, BUT THIS WIDESPREAD?

Keep your lights on and stay left, traffic police tell Jakarta riders

Prodita Sabarini, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Motorcyclist Muhammad Yamin said he had began[sic] turning on his headlights[sic] last week. However, today the lights had gone out because his battery was running out [sic], he said.

Some bike riders have criticized the new guideline, which they said would mean motorbike batteries ran out quicker.

However, motorcyclist Priyatmono said the cost of change [sic] the battery was cheap. "I think it's a good idea rather than getting in an accident," he said.

#37924 - 06 Dec 06 13:48 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
There was a photo on page one of The Point today that shows a stream of motorcylists passing to the left of a lone police officer.

The photo was titled 'Motorcyles to the left'. Apparently it was originally titled 'Motorcyles to the left, joker to the right ...'

#37936 - 06 Dec 06 21:58 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Here I am. Stuck in the middle with you!

The new rule has no teeth! I cannot see a Brown Shirt jumping three lanes to ticket an errant driver...all the guys with bikes I have spoken too have suggested that this law will be ignored like all other unenforcable laws made over the years.

Attachments
306-MotorMotor.jpg

#37938 - 06 Dec 06 22:10 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
Modern-day motorized vehicles using internal combustion engines (as all these motorcycles do) have something called an ALTERNATOR (like a mini generator) which powers all the electric stuff on motorcycles and cars while the engine is running...So how does his battery go flat??

There is a device called a Magneto, used on small cheap engines... This only powers the spark plug, and doesnt power lghts etc. maybe this is what they use on small cheap motobikes?

I cut and paste from wikipedea:

A magneto provides pulses of electrical power to the spark plugs in some gasoline-powered internal combustion engines where batteries are not available, most commonly those in 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines used in small motorcycles, lawnmowers and chainsaws, serving a similar function as the coil-type ignition system found in automobiles. In these cases the magneto advantage is in its compact nature and simple reliable function. They are used in most small aircraft, some racing automobiles and in older tractors. In aircraft, typically each cylinder has two spark plugs, each driven from a separate magneto. This arrangement provides redundancy in the event of a failure of one of the magnetos, and two sparks burn more efficiently than one.

Magnetos combine the functions of a dynamo, contact breaker points and coil into one unit. The engine rotates a coil of wire between the poles of a permanent magnet to provide a basic source of electrical energy (though in some variants the permanent magnet is rotated and the coil remains stationary). On each revolution, a cam opens the contact breaker one or more times, interrupting the current, causing the voltage in the secondary winding of the coil to reach a very high value, enough to arc across the electrodes of the spark plug. Because no battery or other source of energy is required, the magneto is a rugged, reliable and self-contained solution to providing ignition of the fuel. In some modern magneto designs, an electronic switch replaces the contact breaker.

Since the magneto is a single integrated unit providing its own power source, a vehicle using one has no means to provide electrical power for other needs, such as lighting, which would readily be available from an external dynamo or alternator. Most important, there is no provision for a starter motor, so that an alternative starting means will be required for a machine using a magneto. Such means may be a kickstart, starting crank or pull cord, starting charge, or the like.

#37939 - 06 Dec 06 22:15 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I used to have a dynamo on my bike when I was a kid. It powered lights both front and rear.

If you put the bike on a homemade stand, disconnected the dynamo from the lights, had someone put the wires in their mouth and pedal like fuck you could give them a cracking jolt!

The joys of childhood and dumbfuckers who put wires in their mouth.

#37940 - 06 Dec 06 22:22 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Magneto develops 12-20,000 volts. Wont power a bulb, but makes a nice spark!

I had an old NSU motorbike years ago that only had a magneto. It relied upon battery lighting......

#37995 - 07 Dec 06 11:16 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
you get what you pay for - if you require to use a 20 watt headlight , this will require exactly that to power it . On a "PIFCO" hairdryer type conveyance , there will be mag type ignition , and an alternator or dynamo . There is no need of a battery to start the thing , the EMF for the spark is generated by the mag coils (though there may be a Capacitor Discharge type system tied up with this) .
Take a 3 year old fartmobile bike in Indonesia - the battery has probably either never been maintained or topped up with Fanta Merah , sure , the alternator will support the lighting and other loads at reasonable speed , but there probably is not a lot left over to charge the battery up . Net result , after a long period sitting with the engine ticking over (the battery supplies the load at this point as the alternator can't prodcuce enough umph at low speed ) is a flat battery .

Magneto and coil ignition differ in that a Mag spark gets fatter and hotter at high rpm , while a point/coil system , the sparks gets weaker .

None of this is relevent anyway in a country where people ride along with there helmet perched on top of their head , just waitng to break their necks .

When I lived in Solo , I used to watch the clowns ducking under the barrier at the level crossing , all to save 35 seconds , on the way to do nothing - even watching their comrades getting squished by the Mahapajit Express did nothing to stop the guys following .
I used to have a point in the bar of the Agas hotel , and you could guarantee one a week would try and play with 400 tonnes of train .

#38015 - 07 Dec 06 18:25 Re: Motorcycle ignorance [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Quoting: Dilli
I used to have a dynamo on my bike when I was a kid. It powered lights both front and rear.

If you put the bike on a homemade stand, disconnected the dynamo from the lights, had someone put the wires in their mouth and pedal like fuck you could give them a cracking jolt!

The joys of childhood and dumbfuckers who put wires in their mouth.

What is a dynamo on your bike? I have always been dynamo on my bike but since you are older, and therefore don’t qualify for anything resembling anybody dynamo, I assume you mean a dynamite chick.

Just watching a National Geographic channel special on The Da Vinci code and happened across the hidden code in your email: “dynamo … lights … fuck … mouth … cracking jolt.”

Just like bible.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop