Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37716 - 04 Dec 06 05:22 JP/Cleric under fire for taking second wife
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Cleric under fire for taking second wife

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Avid fans of popular cleric Abdullah "AA Gym" Gymnastiar who regularly listen to his dawn sermons got the surprise of their life Saturday to hear him acknowledge he had formally taken a second wife.

Interestingly, the "official" announcement was made by his first wife, Nini Muthmaninah, better known as Teh Nini, while they were co-hosting their regular sermon -- this time from Kuala Lumpur and relayed by some 150 radio stations in Indonesia and overseas.

Aa Gym's new bride is identified as Alfarini Eridani, 37. Neither Aa Gym nor Teh Nini introduced her in their one-hour talk show in which the hosts read out some of the listeners' SMS messages.

Teh Nini, who often appears together with Aa Gym on TV talk shows, said she had accepted her husband's decision to take a second wife.

"After Aa Gym took his second wife ... it's been wonderful; nothing like what people fear," said Teh Nini. It was not clear if Alfarini, better known as Rini, was with them in Kuala Lumpur.

Aa Gym, a 45-year-old turban-sporting cleric, is highly popular for his non-political, practical sermons. His frequent public appearances together with his family have made him a role model for a harmonious family.

Under Islamic teachings, taking a second wife is allowed but many progressive Muslims reject it, arguing that polygamy is a form of subjugation of women and the Holy Koran should be reinterpreted in keeping with the times.

Teh Nini said that she had received countless SMS messages from listeners telling her to be patient and have fortitude.

"I know it's difficult to accept polygamy, I have been thinking it over for the past five years and now it has happened," Teh Nini said, chuckling.

"If it's Allah's will, it will certainly happen. I don't want to go against the divine laws. Thank you for your prayers for me."

Aa Gym told his listeners that Teh Nini made the statement of her own volition without any persuasion on his part.

While Teh Nini's mobile phone has been flooded with messages of sympathy, Aa Gym's is jammed with angry messages.

The cleric also read out some of the SMS messages from his fans outraged by his second marriage.

One message that he read said, "Aa Gym, you have to be honest, don't be hypocritical and deceive the public. Don't abuse the scriptures to lie to us who pay to listen to your sermons. You have sold out your religion."

"Aa Gym, you have so far been a model of an ideal Muslim family. Polygamy is indeed allowed but don't put passion above everything else," said another message.

In his reply, Aa Gym said appreciated all the messages but stressed he did not want to become a "perfect personality". Like any other sinners, he said, he was struggling to overcome worldly passions.

"Now I know what it is like to be insulted and condemned. But I believe people do it out of their love for me," he said.

#37717 - 04 Dec 06 07:32 Re: JP/Cleric under fire for taking second wife [Re: KuKuKaChu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
believe it or not, this issue could set cats among the pigeons ...

#37721 - 04 Dec 06 09:26 Re: JP/Cleric under fire for taking second wife [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Stupid women, putting up with this bollox.

#37726 - 04 Dec 06 20:25 Re: JP/Cleric under fire for taking second wife [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
believe it or not, this issue could set cats among the pigeons ...

There are some unhappy campers out there.

#37800 - 05 Dec 06 05:11 Re: JP/Cleric under fire for taking second wife [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Magda Offline
Member+

Loc: Bali, Indonesia
well happened already and I think Aa Gym need a wife also to be service him in malaysia or another his visit busines in out of Indo - the 1st wife tired yah and sad, after that the issues will be stop.... ( am like a psikolog yah)

#37814 - 05 Dec 06 08:56 Re: JP/Cleric under fire for taking second wife [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Cleric under fire for taking second wife

Under Islamic teachings, taking a second wife is allowed but many progressive Muslims reject it, arguing that polygamy is a form of subjugation of women and the Holy Koran should be reinterpreted in keeping with the times.

Teh Nini said that she had received countless SMS messages from listeners telling her to be patient and have fortitude.

"I know it's difficult to accept polygamy, I have been thinking it over for the past five years and now it has happened," Teh Nini said, chuckling.

"If it's Allah's will, it will certainly happen. I don't want to go against the divine laws. Thank you for your prayers for me."

Aa Gym told his listeners that Teh Nini made the statement of her own volition without any persuasion on his part.

While Teh Nini's mobile phone has been flooded with messages of sympathy, Aa Gym's is jammed with angry messages.

The cleric also read out some of the SMS messages from his fans outraged by his second marriage.

One message that he read said, "Aa Gym, you have to be honest, don't be hypocritical and deceive the public. Don't abuse the scriptures to lie to us who pay to listen to your sermons. You have sold out your religion."

"Aa Gym, you have so far been a model of an ideal Muslim family. Polygamy is indeed allowed but don't put passion above everything else," said another message.

In his reply, Aa Gym said appreciated all the messages but stressed he did not want to become a "perfect personality". Like any other sinners, he said, he was struggling to overcome worldly passions.

"Now I know what it is like to be insulted and condemned. But I believe people do it out of their love for me," he said.

Always using same words "in the name of religion and Allah's will" no wonder sleep eek

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop