Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37131 - 26 Nov 06 20:36 good books recommendation
0101 Offline
Member+

Loc: jakarta selatan
hi

i've been looking for some good books lately. since english written books are expensive here, i've gathered quite some collection of ebooks, which is fine if i'm at home and very bored, but i guess it's not the same. do you guys have any good place to buy, good books and good prices? so i think this haven't been discussed before, maybe we can give recommendation to each other. i'll start:

i've been in scifi mood lately, got neal stephenson's cryptonomicon and baroque cycle (except the first book, quicksilver) from QB closing sale. not recommended for people who doesn't like long immersing reading with technology topics, but if you do, you'll find these books (especially cryptonomicon) satisfying. check out http://www.well.com/user/neal/cypherFAQ.html#10 for further info

for people who likes somewhat odd combination of mythologies and 'modern' fiction, i'd love to hear what you think about neil gaiman's american gods. personally i think it's one of his best work. highly recommended. check out his collaboration with terry pratchett, good omen, too, for a bit of toned down plot and atmosphere from his usual writing. very funny, though i suspect terry's more responsible in that department. he also renowned for his story in comics (vertigo DC), like the one who really jumpstart his success, sandman.

terry pratchett's books, like i said, are real funny. i couldn't help but lol while reading his discworld series. funny and refreshing, i really recommend it for lazy weekends reading.

tell me what you read, people

#37135 - 26 Nov 06 22:08 Re: good books recommendation [Re: 0101]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
english-language bookshops in jakarta are thin on the ground. in fact, a few have gone bust recently (eg, QB). and yes, they seem to be much more expensive than singapore, without the variety and range.

i usually have reason to go to singapore every couple of months, so i stock up on books when i'm there.

there's a bookshop on the basement floor of plaza indonesia which is now accepting second-hand books at 30% of ticket price. this could bring down the price a little for you if you have some old books you don't want any more. (unforuantley, i tend to want to keep my books ...)

#37136 - 26 Nov 06 22:10 Re: good books recommendation [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I bought a book recently, written by one of our board members!

#37144 - 26 Nov 06 14:44 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I get my supply from Grand ol' David of Jaksa, who makes frequent trips to Singapore's second-hand shops and comes back with two suitcases full each month or so. He gets them for like S$1 or S$2 at little shops he's been going to since the 1960s and sells them to us for about Rp30k~100k. Seek him out in Kemang or Jaksa and tell him your wishlist, he'll find something...

Alternatively, there are two very used, slightly abused shops on Jaksa with loads of dusty paperbacks that backpackers have traded in, and you can usually "lease" them. Most are light reading, pop stuff like Grisham, but every once in a while you'll come upon something really nice. Pick one up for 30k~50k and return it after reading and get half the money back.

Jokie was mentioning a few weeks ago about a traditional market place with second-hand books, some of which were English. Can't remember where or the name now. Ask her on Monday

#37145 - 26 Nov 06 14:46 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

If you go to Bali, there's plenty of used books, mostly novels, that you can buy in the street. And during the low season, you can have it for a song... if you go there on vacation or whatever, bring an empty luggage and fill it up!

#37146 - 26 Nov 06 14:55 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Orang Kanada]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Also, If you know someone at The Jakarta Post, they can check out books from their pretty decent library and lend them to you... The public is welcome to browse the JP library, but can't check stuff out. So find what you want and make a friend there and it's all free.. Almost every book they review each week, ends up in their library eventually.

#37160 - 27 Nov 06 10:49 Re: good books recommendation [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I have some which are a bit crinkly and some of the pages are stuck together!

They do not have stories but there are lots of pictures!

I can lend them if required!

#37187 - 28 Nov 06 02:46 Re: good books recommendation [Re: KuKuKaChu]
0101 Offline
Member+

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
there's a bookshop on the basement floor of plaza indonesia which is now accepting second-hand books at 30% of ticket price. this could bring down the price a little for you if you have some old books you don't want any more. (unforuantley, i tend to want to keep my books ...)

i think i know that bookshop. i'll check it someday

riccardo: sounds great. does this david specialize?

dili: is that happened to be titled Hustler? man, that's a magazine! but lend me anyway, i haven't seen one of those in a long time!

#37189 - 28 Nov 06 03:16 Re: good books recommendation [Re: riccardo]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
palasari in Bandung, west Java..if you wish..I can take you there but the all paymeny in you ya wink yay

#37256 - 28 Nov 06 19:13 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
I have some which are a bit crinkly and some of the pages are stuck together!

They do not have stories but there are lots of pictures!

I can lend them if required!

You wouldnt give away your Gay Monthly collection would you Dili? But you go so much pleasure out of them!!!

#37257 - 28 Nov 06 19:46 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

They are the ones I stole from you! They were stuck together when I got them.

I only took them for the Banci sections

#37258 - 28 Nov 06 20:15 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

They are the ones I stole from you! They were stuck together when I got them.

I only took them for the Banci sections

I only collected them cos you appeared in them. I was going to blackmail you with them....

#37259 - 28 Nov 06 20:47 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Think we have finished with this tack?

#37262 - 28 Nov 06 21:02 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Think we have finished with this tack?

That tack is holding up your Playboy calendar behind the toilet door.

#37349 - 29 Nov 06 05:27 Re: good books recommendation [Re: 0101]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: 0101

riccardo: sounds great. does this david specialize?

Yes, David can usually find what you ask for... I spoke to him a couple days ago and he's actually running a little library of sorts out of a couple cafes in town, one is at Eastern Promise in Kemang, the other is near Blok M somewhere. You can inquire about him at EP or Romance/Capt. Morgan's Pub on Jaksa. (He's usually at Morgan's for Sat. Night EPL games and you can see a pic of him in the Jaksa forum thread on the Pub.) Here's the link http://www.jakchat.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/32857/page/1#Post32857
Dave's the one in the middle with the beard and the batik shirt...

#37374 - 29 Nov 06 09:22 Re: good books recommendation [Re: riccardo]
0101 Offline
Member+

thanks riccardo

#37397 - 29 Nov 06 11:40 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: Jokie Jokie Girl
palasari in Bandung, west Java..if you wish..I can take you there but the all paymeny in you ya wink yay

Is there others more far than that one, JJG?

Edited by Lulu (29 Nov 06 11:41)

#37898 - 06 Dec 06 05:54 Re: good books recommendation [Re: Lulu]
meinjakarta Offline

Am a avid reader(less of the ones with the stick stuff in them !) For the seriour readers There are two stores in Pasar Festival. One is in the inner atrium, near the food court the other is next to Hertz Chicken on the outside. Good books and good prices... between 10 to 50K..
Enjoy !
Alternatively like minded people - we could create a liobrary ... what say ?

Moderator:  NetCop