Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37112 - 26 Nov 06 08:34 A scary future, coming your way very soon.
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

The other day Kuku and I were discussing the point that a majority of Bules in JKT were oxygen thieves. They simply don’t perform at the level expected. They are brought in as Bules to over perform, and mentor and lead the locals. Instead many spend their time getting pissed and laid whilst they stagnate technically, apply decades old ideas, technology and management practices.

In the meantime I am staggered at the number of bright educated Indonesians (especially Chinese Indonesians) I find studying here in Sydney. They go straight from a undergrade to an MBA, collecting a CPA at the same time. One guy in my building casually mentioned the other day that he starts his internship at PWC next week. He intends to return to JKT late next year……

All of which leads to the question: How long can these Bules stay in Indonesia, and what will happen in the future? Perhaps the gravy train is finally leaving town, and a lot of guys are not on it…….

Meanwhile:
Tonight is the Sydney high school spectacular at the Entertainment Centre. As I did my shopping in Market City across the road. The shopping centre was full of young people parading themselves in make up and leotards, presumably straight from a rehearsal. I looked carefully, and could not see a single Asian face.

Why? Because the Asians were too busy to fuck about with a dance routine. They want to be a Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, Accountant, so tonight they are studying to get into a good University. I guarantee none of the 11,000 performers (YES ELEVEN THOUSAND) will make it big time as a dancer or singer. I also guarantee the Asians studying tonight will become professionals. In 10 years time, when the dancers are flipping burgers and they see the Asians driving Mercedes, I hope they understand where they went wrong…..

Both of the above are related to one thing. Bules cannot sit on their arse and expect the world to feed them just because they are white. Those days are vanishing fast. It applies to those kids in leotards, and to the Bules in a bar tonight in JKT…..

#37113 - 26 Nov 06 08:42 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Polar Bear]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

http://www.schoolsspectacular.com.au/index.html

The Schools Spectacular began in 1984 and has been an annual event since then.

Featuring 3,000 of the State’s most talented singers, dancers and musicians, the Spectacular is a brilliantly choreographed and costumed production on an epic scale.
A 1200-voice choir, an 80 piece orchestra, 1500 dancers, rock, jazz and brass bands and talented soloists from ages 5 to 18 are all woven into a totally integrated seamless production.

Students from more than 250 public schools from around New South Wales rehearse for months in preparation for four shows over two days and nights. Audiences that pack Sydney Entertainment Centre are given an insight into the wealth of talent in our public schools, and the dedication, commitment and creativity of the teachers who nurture that talent.

This annual entertainment showcase has launched the careers of a host of Australia’s most popular performers and has introduced tens of thousands of students from New South Wales government schools to the thrill of performing to capacity houses.

#37119 - 26 Nov 06 09:36 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
You could be right - but you are not .

I'll tell you why :-

Discipline and consciousness

In two words - the answer.

You can educate to a high standard , but unless the discipline and consciousness (kesadaraan) is in place - you may as well not have bothered .

#37120 - 26 Nov 06 09:41 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I would be the first to agree with your comments about "drunken bule idiots"
However , within reason , you can trust them to work off their own initiative , turn up on time , not take the p1ss too much .
Having run a business in Indo , I can assure you that you are lucky if you get your local staff to turn up - doesn't matter how much you pay - and if you bollock them ? Oh my - you end up with a complete stoppage (though it is sometimes difficult to tell )

#37121 - 26 Nov 06 10:23 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Inability to motivate a workforce in Indonesia shows lack of respect (both ways), poor leadership or lack of cultural connection.

Yes - it is hard in Indonesia. that’s why they get the expat perks. Arriving thinking its like management in the West will lead to trouble. Motivation of a workforce is a key part of management.

In the West it is less of a problem. Work ethic, high unemployment, career and lifestyle expectations, have all persuaded Western workforces to put in the required effort. Those that don’t make the effort live on the dole and you don’t come across them in the workplace. There is no dole in Indonesia, so you see workers who in the first world would live on benefits.

This means a different management style is required. Sadly it is lacking in many expats, who are too busy shagging and drinking to care about performance. And when head office questions the poor levels of efficiency – these bules shrug their shoulders and say “Hey, This is Indonesia. The workers are lazy here”

In short - it is a managers job to motivate the workforce. Saying "hey these are un-motivatable" doesn’t work. its simply an admission that he cannot do the job he is paid to do.

#37122 - 26 Nov 06 10:39 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Could it be that the local workforce at the level where they interface with most expats is actually lazy ?

What motivations do you need ? kind words ? Pecuniary ?
Or perhaps the Londo way - "di pukul aja " ?
I have spoken with a number of "older" javanese who remember with a tear in their eyes the old days - When "Si Londo" ran the local school . I think that these people have more understanding of their own culture than the young Indonesian pretenders .
Every one knows that if an Indonesian wants a good education for little Endang - then they have to find a good strict Catholic school where discipline is still practiced .

Some years ago I watched an Australin furniture dealer remain completely calm when a local "bar girl" tried to encroach on his business , selling furntiture to one of his competitors - When I asked him why he was so calm ( I would have been raging) , he replied that he knew full well that the chances of one decent chair being in the container at the end of the month was practically nil , he couldn't trust his local people to make sure that the assembly and finishing would be completed without shortcuts - he had to watch every stage - he knew that the competition was buying a container full of matchwood .
I'd very much like to meet him again , looking back , I now understand him so much better .

#37123 - 26 Nov 06 10:58 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

There are a million ways to motivate. Money is the least of them. Peer pressure, charismatic leadership, respect, belonging and a hundred other drivers exist.

I once sat next to an ex Indian Army (pre 1947) Major at a dinner. He was one of a handful of British commanding a regiment of Indian soldiers. Tough job. He told me the men would do anything he ordered because they respected his leadership. To do that he had to rise before they did. He could sleep after he had seen them sleep. He could eat after they had eaten. His dress had to be immaculate. His drill perfect. He could not date a local girl. The Indians got local leave – he didn’t. He had to be firm but tough. He had to be firmer and tougher with his British subordinates, and upon himself.

Now compare Major Leaf to the average bule……

#37129 - 26 Nov 06 13:31 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: James Hanratty
Some years ago I watched an Australin furniture dealer remain completely calm when a local "bar girl" tried to encroach on his business ,

I don’t fully understand the situation here. This guy didn’t like a bit of local competition? The girl failed? End of story?

I can tell you a quick one. Many years ago I had a rich GF. One night at her parents place I had dinner with the head of marketing for Leyland. At the time Rover had done a huge deal with Honda. Both companies would make and sell the same car in the UK. I asked this captain of industry if he was worried.

He turned to me as if I was I had asked the most stupid question in the world, and said “Oh no, people buy Rovers for the quality of an English motor car”.

The Rover came out with rubber fucking mats and a cheap radio. The Honda had carpets, quad stereo, sunroof and electric windows. Plus a lot of other nice fittings and trim. Oh and the Honda was cheaper. A LOT cheaper. Even shipped from Japan.

He misjudged the abilities of his Asian partner. Rover no longer exists. Honda does.

I hope the fat tosspot is now unemployed, because he was a fat, arrogant stupid wanker who got it WRONG.

He is probably now marketing director of a JKT company……

#37130 - 26 Nov 06 14:07 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Allow me to elutriate :-
She was as bold as brass sitting on the knee of one of his foreign customers in the Novotel Bar - He had taken the guy there for a drink , a bit of entertainment , and to discuss business .
This old Brass sat on the Customers knee , and at evry opportunity when the furniture guy was distracted or left the room , whispered in his ear how much she could cut off of the prices by going behind Mr Furnitures back .

At the end of the evening , it became clear that Mr Furniture knew exactly what was going on - he was happy for the customer to find out the hard way that the shipment would be matchwood .

As a Taiwanese colleague said to me a while back during a discussion about copying of equipment - Anyone can copy the hardware , but the software is the difficult bit .
WRT the above - yes , you can by Inodnesian furniture from an unverified source , but if you do so , make sure that the chairs have the requisite number of legs etc .

As the man said - "if they could , they would" , but they can't.

Incidently I met two guys who had come of with a lovely idea post tsunami . They were building flat pack timber houses (either in Solo or Semerang , I can't remember) , and exporting them to Aceh etc , simple idea , but they were coining it - why didn't a local guy come up with the idea ? Too busy stuffing rice and smoking kreteks .

#37132 - 26 Nov 06 21:43 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: James Hanratty
Incidently I met two guys who had come of with a lovely idea post tsunami . They were building flat pack timber houses (either in Solo or Semerang , I can't remember) , and exporting them to Aceh etc , simple idea , but they were coining it - why didn't a local guy come up with the idea ? Too busy stuffing rice and smoking kreteks .

I would be the first to agree that innovation – commercial and technical – are not Asian strongpoints, and its not limited to Indonesia.

I believe its partly the rote learning method used in Asian educational systems as suggested by many observers. Its fine to learn “three twos are six”, but do they understand why?

But IMHO it’s a thought process issue. Asians tend not to be lateral thinkers. Possibly culturally derived.

Or possibly environmentally derived. How many British Engineers had Meccano as kids? It has been around since 1901. How many watched construction sites on the way to school? We grew up in a nation where innovation was a way of life.

The lack of innovation from Asia does sound warning bells. As Asia replaces the West as the commercial centre of the world, the West doesn’t have the money or the desire to produce new solutions. And the Asians don’t have the mindset. So we may have reached a peak….

#37149 - 26 Nov 06 15:27 Re: A scary future, coming your way very soon. [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

So what was the title of this post ?
Something about a scary future ?

Not just yet methinks . I haven't seen enough of a gradient in the level of thinking to give any indication that it is happening.

In addition to the above I think that there is also an element of childishness in Indonesian thinking - despite the fact that there is no Social Security or state assistance , the population still seem to think that someone cares .

Look at the students rioting because fuel went up a bit, in theory the reduction of subsidy was to fund student education .

Long way to go yet before I start quaking in my boots.

Moderator:  NetCop