Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37074 - 25 Nov 06 23:36 Shoutbox War of Words
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Most arguments, like most wars, start from a misunderstanding.

Last night a brutal argument took place on the Shout box. It was interesting to see how it developed in real time.

In the interests of everyone’s education (including mine), I will explain exactly what happened. Names are removed to protect everyone.

It started out with some guy complaining that he only had a small penis. One of the girls said it didn’t matter. An Indonesian girl (lets call her “A”) then said – “But all girls like a big dick”.

A Bule then made a comment. In the West what he did was quite common – it is a reworded repeat of the initial statement as a reinforcement. It is a way of agreeing with someone.

He actually said ‘If you have a big lebang you need a big dick”

It wasn’t intended as a comment about, or insult to girl “A”. It was a generalist comment, intended as a joke about all girls in general.

Girl “A” took it as a personal attack, and a war of words developed.

Example:
An example of a reinforcement statement:

Dili: “Only guys with a big dick have fun”

PB: “yes, its no fun if you have a small dick”

PB does not mean that Dili has a small dick, he is agreeing with Dili’s first comment.

Can the English teachers here explain this better?

#37075 - 25 Nov 06 23:45 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Guess where I was last night

Attachments
230-BigWillies.jpg

#37076 - 25 Nov 06 23:48 Re: Shoutbox War of Words *DELETED* [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Post deleted by Dilli

#37080 - 26 Nov 06 00:14 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Where someone had a Birthday Part....here is the cake!

Attachments
235-old_20small_20penis.jpg

#37081 - 26 Nov 06 00:15 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Need I go on!

#37084 - 26 Nov 06 00:37 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

And the relevance is????

#37087 - 26 Nov 06 00:40 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'll delete the legs one then!

#37091 - 26 Nov 06 02:32 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
I saw this happening live too. Misunderstanding, maybe. But the one you refer as "the bule" have a natural instinc on how to piss off people and in an attemp to look smarter then he actually is, he always use "big/complicated" words in complex sentences, making people like miss "A" for whom english is a second language mistaking him... I suppose. 'Coz I read what he wrote, live, and even I didn't understand exactly what he meant. So I suppose when you have a limited IQ like this moron you have to use this technique to have the feeling you upsmart people, but you also have to live with the consequences, people getting upset...

You must admit PB, when miss "A" started to fight back, M. "bule" just put gazoline on the fire, using insulting and diminishing phrases pointing to miss "A"... do you remember that part? He also insulted me in many replies to a topic I wrote, in the same way he tried to upsmart me... without satisfaction.

Talking about the shout box, the other day I asked openly if I was the only one who's getting tired of that guy and the answer was unanimous; he's an ass. So misunderstanding or not, that jackass better watch his behind. (Is that sounds like a threat? Good, 'coz it is)

#37093 - 26 Nov 06 04:01 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Orang Kanada]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yes - once a war starts (of words or of action) both sides fight back. that is the true horror of war. No one steps back and says "fuck me, this is out of hand, maybe I should say sorry. Take a look at WW1 for a classic example.

apparently the two protaganists have had a war of words for some time in another chat area. They dont have the ability to "real time chat" there, so we caught it here.

Re DG - the danger isnt how boring he is, the danger is in what he is doing. He picks up sweet caring girls who feels sorry for him, and tricks then into sex. That is the danger.....

#37117 - 26 Nov 06 09:14 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Fight back ? do you suggest calling someone an "ASSHOLE_F**K_YOU_ASSHOLE" - fighting back ?
I call it ignorance .
Please note my comments elsewhere regarding understanding - I am careful not to get in to a war of words in Indonesian - a language where I am still learning , and continue to do so every day . I have to be sure that I have understood 100% before I start replying .

Th threats are also pretty pathetic - as I mentioned , there are some bules ( and for that matter some WNI) who would take the right hump , and make life difficult .

Should people want to make threats - post their full name and contact details for the follow up , otherwise , just stick to insults.

#37118 - 26 Nov 06 09:24 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

No need for threats. Lets all agree to disagree.

but the issue is there was no need for an argument in the frirst place.....

#37148 - 26 Nov 06 15:26 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Quoting: James Hanratty
Fight back ? do you suggest calling someone an "ASSHOLE_F**K_YOU_ASSHOLE" - fighting back ?
I call it ignorance .

(...)

Should people want to make threats - post their full name and contact details for the follow up , otherwise , just stick to insults.

What's the problem? Insult is your cup of tea... you're pissed because she used it on you? That's what I call fighting back... using your own weapons!

BTW, calling you a fucking asshole is not ignorance, au contraire, that's a proof she knows you well.

#37152 - 26 Nov 06 15:48 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I feel a chorus of "I'm a lumberjack" coming on -
What happened to make so so sore Canuck ?

Did your seal escape before your let it join your club ?

#37154 - 26 Nov 06 17:22 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

You and I have unfinished business, my friend...

I like when you're using cheap racist insults, it means I shut you up mr. Smartmouth... they're the last line of defense for the low IQ pathetic imbeciles...

#37155 - 26 Nov 06 17:23 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
be all that it may, the fact is that certain people -- non-native speakers especially -- sometimes misunderstand English, and take offence where there was no offence.

this is where native-speakers here in particular need to be much more tolerant. say sorry, even if it wasn't your "fault"; take the fall; let it pass. life isn't a pissing competition.

#37156 - 26 Nov 06 19:05 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Did I miss something again!

James, I met OK yesterday for drinks and pool! Reviewing all past posts you may disagree, but let me assure you, the two of you may get on quite well socially!

#37159 - 26 Nov 06 19:38 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

My life is a pissing competition. Thats about all it is..... frown

#37161 - 27 Nov 06 11:52 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'm sure your right - that is why I don't take it seriously .
I'll be in JKT at some point shortly - I have a little project in Boncourt- Switzerland which should be a joke for a while , then back to Indo - have to get the saucepans passports sorted out - We can have a slurp if you wish .

#37165 - 27 Nov 06 13:01 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Eh? What war? Well, Dilli you shouldn't buy me too much drinks again...we really miss the fun here!

#37169 - 27 Nov 06 18:56 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Lulu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Most arguments and fights start from minor misunderstandings.

Take my ex wife. She came home unexpectedly to find me in bed with her best friend. Instead of waiting for my perfectly rational answer she started screaming and throwing things.

If only she had sat down and discussed the situation over a cup of tea instead of taking an unreasonable attitude.

#37179 - 28 Nov 06 00:48 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Polar Bear]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Hey James, you don't take it too seriously? ok... fine with me, every good things must have an end. But let tell you this, for your own good, and to everybody in here: calling a french-Canadian or Québécois a frog or kermit is not a good idea... it's considered rascist as much as negro or nigger for an afro-american, or eskimo for an Inuit, etc... If you want to test it, if you drop by Montréal one day, goes to Hochelaga-Maisonneuve and call the first guy you see a frog... but you must be comfortable going through life in a wheelchair. There's some things you just cannot do. If you didn't knew the magnitude of your remark, a simple "hey dude, I didn't know it could be offensive" and I will pass on. But unfortunately, apologizes don't seems to be your cup of tea*, so I will just pass on anyway.

And just to show you I can have a certain sense of humor, check my new avatar and signature...

*I know I use this figure of speech on and on, but I don't know how to express this idea in other ways... maybe you can teach me one or two...

#37209 - 28 Nov 06 05:59 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Orang Kanada
Hey James, you don't take it too seriously? ok... fine with me, every good things must have an end. But let tell you this, for your own good, and to everybody in here: calling a french-Canadian or Québécois a frog or kermit is not a good idea... it's considered rascist as much as negro or nigger for an afro-american, or eskimo for an Inuit, etc... If you want to test it, if you drop by Montréal one day, goes to Hochelaga-Maisonneuve and call the first guy you see a frog... but you must be comfortable going through life in a wheelchair. There's some things you just cannot do. If you didn't knew the magnitude of your remark, a simple "hey dude, I didn't know it could be offensive" and I will pass on. But unfortunately, apologizes don't seems to be your cup of tea*, so I will just pass on anyway.

And just to show you I can have a certain sense of humor, check my new avatar and signature...

*I know I use this figure of speech on and on, but I don't know how to express this idea in other ways... maybe you can teach me one or two...

Very good ! May I also remind you that from one side of a monitor , you have NO IDEA who you are chatting to , and with this in mind , you may consider it prudent not to make threats of violence .

Do you reckon that being called a kermit is offensive to you as being called a bule is to some expats ? I mean if you wandered around London calling all the English "Albinos" - you would also end up in a wheelchair .

You have access to the internet - you can find your own new phrase to replace the term "Cup Of Tea".

The Indonesian word "cocok" - meaning "fitting" could be used .

You are right about two things - apologies aren't my cup of tea - and you do have a certain sense of humour .

#37214 - 28 Nov 06 06:19 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: James Hanratty
[Very good ! May I also remind you that from one side of a monitor , you have NO IDEA who you are chatting to , and with this in mind , you may consider it prudent not to make threats of violence .

I dont know about Prudence (does she threaten poeple these days) but it is however pointless....

Unless you follow it up with a face to face meeting.....

#37234 - 28 Nov 06 08:44 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Dear Prudence- One of my favourite Beatles tracks

#37244 - 28 Nov 06 09:06 Re: Shoutbox War of Words [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Prudence Wilson.

Ex GF mother, total asshole. Unhappy cos I shagged her precious daughter....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop