Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37016 - 25 Nov 06 05:45 JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins

Anissa S. Febrina, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Many children from transnational couples are legally eligible for Indonesian citizenship after lawmakers passed a bill in August.

Now all their parents have to do is to negotiate thickets of red tape and bureaucratic ignorance to get their claims processed by immigration.

Or they can get someone else to do it.

"My boss, a Malaysian citizen, asked me to help him process the documents for his children (when he heard about the new law)," Lien Abdurrachman said.

"It was quite difficult as there was very little information about where to obtain the forms."

Lien tried contacting several immigration offices only to hear the form was not yet available everywhere she tried.

Things began to resemble a classic local bureaucracy with its much-feared central concept: "if you can make it difficult, why make it easy?".

Lien ended up embarking on a 30-minute "tour" of the South Jakarta immigration office -- handed over from one officer to another -- to search for information about the dual citizenship application process.

Her lucky sixth official finally shed light on the confusion: "the form and documents must be obtained at the Jakarta chapter of the Justice and Human Rights Ministry at Jl. MT Haryono in East Jakarta. They are not available here," he said.

Despite the government's public announcement that 13 children of transnational marriages have already obtained dual Indonesian citizenship, there were no posters or leaflets informing the public about the new service at local immigration offices.

"We admit that we have not properly disbursed the information. However, this is a new law and we will need time to make the process run smoothly," South Jakarta immigration office residential status unit head Adang Hidayat said.

The citizen law signed in August stipulates that all of the necessary regulations for its implementation must be completed within six months of its passing.

"It means that all the regulations will be ready by February 2007," Adang said.

Currently, transnational couples can apply for Indonesian citizenship for all children born before August. The provincial immigration office has opened a special counter for the application forms.

The law stipulates that all children born here after August are to be granted automatic Indonesian citizenship. However, the regulations implementing this are not yet ready.

"There is also no regulation about the fee for the service, so for the moment, people can obtain the forms for free," Adang said.

Currently about 300 to 400 children with non-national fathers are waiting for their dual citizenship applications to be processed.

Before the new law was enacted, children automatically became citizens of their fathers' countries and transnational couples had to pay up to Rp 12 million a year for temporary residence permits for each of their children.

Children with Indonesian fathers are automatically granted Indonesian citizenship.

The dual citizenship application form can be obtained at: Jakarta Provincial Immigration Office Jl. MT Haryono 24, 021 8090704, Contact person: Iwan

#37020 - 25 Nov 06 06:13 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
After all the hype and media coverage of the last few months, this has deteriorated into an international joke on the same level as Borat's fictional portrayal of Kazakhstan... The problem for RI is that the Borat jokes are mostly fiction and here it is friggin' reality.

It is bullshit like this corrupt, backward bureaucracy that really turns away int'l investors and even domestic investors. These ignorant bureaucrats are too stupid and too kampungan to see that something they probably consider minor, like some documents for kids' citizenship, actually is a microcosm, the tip of the iceberg, of a massive problem throughout the nation when anyone wants to do anything here.

ANd the irony is that everyone of these ignorant kampungan fuckwits would say they love their country soooo sooooo much, but they are just way too small-minded to see the damage they are doing to their supposedly beloved country.

#37025 - 25 Nov 06 07:50 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
After all the hype and media coverage of the last few months, this has deteriorated into an international joke on the same level as Borat's fictional portrayal of Kazakhstan... The problem for RI is that the Borat jokes are mostly fiction and here it is friggin' reality.

It is bullshit like this corrupt, backward bureaucracy that really turns away int'l investors and even domestic investors. These ignorant bureaucrats are too stupid and too kampungan to see that something they probably consider minor, like some documents for kids' citizenship, actually is a microcosm, the tip of the iceberg, of a massive problem throughout the nation when anyone wants to do anything here.

ANd the irony is that everyone of these ignorant kampungan fuckwits would say they love their country soooo sooooo much, but they are just way too small-minded to see the damage they are doing to their supposedly beloved country.

As I have said many times to the halfwits who mess up INA - it comes to something when some (and I say just some) of the expats care more about Indonesia than the locals.

I will now struggle to get the forms - I wonder how much fag money was paid for the first applicants to get processed ?

I also wonder how may bule dads who played games with the birth certificates are now running around like headless chickens trying to get the paperwork in order ?

#37044 - 25 Nov 06 10:48 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
The children at the ceremony with Hamid were kids of KPC Melati members/organisers - so they got chosen for the publicity shoot, I very much doubt they had to pay anything at all.

And, I remember when my son was born my former boss, who was an Englishman, scoffed at me for getting the birth all legally registered, etc.

#37056 - 25 Nov 06 21:54 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
It is bullshit like this corrupt, backward bureaucracy that really turns away int'l investors and even domestic investors.

Sadly Riccc its not just Indonesia. I pull my hair out with Australian Bureaucracy....

Latest one - the last Australian Federal Election I was in JKT - so I didnít vote. Thatís an offence. The lunatic bureaucrats sent the fine to my old address - where I havenít lived for 7 years. The first thing I know about it is when the state fine default unit cancels my driving licence.

So I am now dealing with three bunches of incompetent oxygen thieves.... the Electoral Commission, State Debt Recovery Department, and the Motor Licencing Authority. Everyone passes me onto the next.

All are staffed with Idle, slow, cardigan wearing wankers who are waiting to retire, and to whom the idea of customer service is an anathema. My latest move, I told them all to push my driving licence up their arse, and I can add my citizenship papers, my Army ID card, big pack and webbing and I can fuck off out of this moronic land.

Stuggling with a kids citizenship doesnít sound so bad to meÖÖ

#37114 - 26 Nov 06 08:45 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: Polar Bear]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Thank you for putting the Indonesian bureaucracy in perspective, PB. Sometimes we forget that our own countries' bureaucracies can be even worse than the one here. In Indonesia at least we can pay a bit extra to grease the wheels. Is corruption so bad?

#37115 - 26 Nov 06 08:53 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
"Stuggling with a kids citizenship doesn't sound so bad to me??"

Where would you go if you throw your passport back ?
It is something faced by all of us who want to move to Asia - do you sell up everything and take the plunge or .......?

And there was me thinking you understood the ways of Asia !!
Us poor simple fools will stand at the counter and ask for the forms - the reply will be "nggak ada Pak" , but what you won't be told is that the form is available on the table by the door - "you didn't tell me !! well you didn't ask !!" that is the way things are done .

I haven't read an original copy of the Bill - can anyone confirm the status of children born to Indonesian Mother and foreign father , where the birth takes place outside of Indonesia - by all accounts , there is a right of citizenship , however I have read differing account.

Edited by James Hanratty (26 Nov 06 09:00)

#37116 - 26 Nov 06 08:58 Re: JP/Becoming an Indonesian citizen; the headache begins [Re: xsbir]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

In terms of corruption, we have the awful alternative: A government addicted to taxation.

Im just an average dude. I pay 47% on my top earnings, as do a large majority of Australians. Then I pay 2% medicare levy on top of that. Then 10% enforced superannuation. Thatís about 60% of my salary gone.

So I spend the 40 cents I have left. The government enforces 10% sales tax on everything I buy. That means Iím left with 36 cents.

I spent my 36 cents on petrol. The government takes an extra 38 cents a litre in excise tax (in addition to its sales tax).

I spent it on dinner. The government takes payroll tax out of the cost of dinner etc.

I work Monday to Friday lunch for the fucking Australian government, and Friday afternoon for myself. And the government squander my money on crap.

To cap it off, the local councils, who cannot levy taxes, sting me with fucking rates and parking fines Ė which come out of Friday afternoon earnings.

So when you slip the official 100K think yourself lucky. The fucking Australian government has its hand firmly wedged in my back pocketÖ..

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop