Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36457 - 21 Nov 06 02:52 Anti-Bush Cheerleaders
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
These really paltry little anti-Bush protests are hilarious, but the Indo media keeps trying to make them bigger than they are. I think what has happened here is that govt officials have ordered everyone not to make any of these huge rent-a-crowd protests and so there are just a few doing it out of a real passion and concern. The media, too wimpy to actually go out and protest, instead make a big thing out of next to nothing so the population thinks there is some big mass protest.

In today's huge lead story in THE POINT, they quote PKS chairman Tifatul as saying yesterday's PKS march, "was meant to protest Bush's policy towards [sic] developed countries, particularly populous Muslim countries like Afghanistan and Iraq."

Bush's visit to Bogor later today has been shortened from 20 hours, then to 10, then to 6 and now just 4 hours that he'll spend in Indonesia. SBY and Bush will do a joint press conference in the afternoon/evening. Bush plans to tell people how much humanitarian aid that the USA has given them.

Meanwhile, in Vietnam yesterday, Bush was greeted by tens of thousands of people lining the streets with flags from both countries and kids on their parents shoulders waving with glee at the most powerful man on the planet as his motorcade cruised by.

#36458 - 21 Nov 06 03:18 Re: Anti-Bush Cheerleaders [Re: riccardo]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Ah, but Vietnam is on the up and up, they're getting on board, going with the flow, ........... This place is not, this place is concerned about the plight of the Palestinians and urgently seeks a resolution to the middle eastern conflict, ya-di-yah, insert more bullshit here, it's stagnating, there are too many people determined to join up with a lost cause, a backward dying civilisation.

#36459 - 21 Nov 06 03:19 Re: Anti-Bush Cheerleaders [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Also in THE POINT today, on a different front-page story, that looks for all intents and purposes like a straight news report, the POINT "journo" states without any attribution: --- Under Bush's administration, the U.S. government has been spreading terror worldwide and has created hatred and distrust among the world's nations. ---

While armchair pundits in a pub or a mosque may fully agree and say similar things all the time, it is an outright violation of all that journalism stands for. It is one of the most brazen, obviously libelous statements I've ever read in a "news" story and THE POINT sees fit to run it on page 1!!!

Any proper court of law in the world would easily find the editors and the publisher guilty of libel and slander in a slam-dunk trial -- that is, if anyone who gave a shite about this little podunk rag, cared to take it to court.

#36490 - 21 Nov 06 07:11 Re: Anti-Bush Cheerleaders [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's a blurb from a local AFP journo:

"We reject the arrival of
George Bush, because we deem this guest... has shed Muslim blood," Dadang of the PKS said.

Indonesia's capital was the scene of angry demonstrations Sunday, with some militants calling for Bush to be killed in revenge for the deaths of Muslims across the globe.

"His blood is Halal (permitted under Islam) to be shed. Not only is it halal, but it is obligatory to kill him," Habib Rizieq, the head of the militant Front for the Defenders of Islam, told cheering crowds.
------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

Baying for blood, oh what civilized people we live amongst here. Well If these boys get their wish and kill Bush, they're going to have a bigger Dick to deal with and his name is Dick Cheney! He is VP and a heartbeat away from being the most powerful man on the planet. And in the 2008 election, Cheney would probably get 4 more years on the sympathy vote for heroically taking the reins after such a tragedy. That would be funny actually. If they kill Bush today, they'll be crying for the next 6 years and wishing Bush would come back.

#36491 - 21 Nov 06 07:37 Re: Anti-Bush Cheerleaders [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

George is a weak wanker.

hitler would Nuke Bsgdad, and show the Mlsim world not to fuck about with the West.

Who do these tossers think they are......

The US needs a strong President, not a weak one like george.....

PUSH THE BUTTON!

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop