Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36367 - 19 Nov 06 10:39 Restaurant Review - Warung Italia - Bali
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This cool little place in Bali, near Bali Deli and not too far from Jalan Double 6 serves authentic homestyle Italian food in a real Bali-style warung-type ambiance. Very, very affordable: eg, good house red wine is Rp 12,000/glass. They don't serve pizza, so if that's what you want go elsewhere (there are lots of good ones.)

It's owned/operated by the same Italian guy who now runs the Zanzibar cafe (I'll do a review on that one later.)

Warung Italia specializes in pastas with creamy mushroom pesto and regular pesto. They also have a daily buffet, which is different everyday and has lots of nice lasagna, parmagiana and potato dishes. I had a beautiful spinach & ricotta canneloni, followed by pesto gnocchi.

Later, I had homemade chocolate mousse for dessert followed by an espresso. At the end of the evening - Fabio, Inge, Ai and I closed the place down -- our total bill was less than Rp 200,000 for 4 people with dinner, wine and dessert.

The manager is a little Italian gal from Sardinia and the place is packed every night even in the low season, mostly with in-the-know expats, because the place isn't advertised anywhere - only word-of-mouth.

It's hot and sweaty and crowded, and the only view is a dusty, unlit road with loads of vehicles whizzing by, but the food is absolutely fantastic and it has by far the best prices for proper international food in all of Bali.

Edited by chewwyUK (02 Dec 06 13:04)

#36370 - 19 Nov 06 11:05 Re: Warung Italia [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i know this place. very popular with the local italian contingent in kuta. (note how i refrained from using the term mafia. wink )

the food is very good, varied and "authentic". best of all, very good value. i don't know about anyone else, but overpriced or expensive meals always leave a bad taste in my mouth, if you know what i mean.

the night i was there, the service was a tad slow, and the waiters/waitresses a little clueless, but no worse than any other place in bali that i've been to.

as for the traffic outside this restaurant, i can't say that i found it at annoying. which reminds me, have you got the address, riccardo?? people might like to know where it is! i've already forgotten ...

#36374 - 19 Nov 06 11:30 Re: Warung Italia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I don't have the address, but it's 200 meters south of Bali Deli on the same medium-sized gang. Every taxi driver knows Bali Deli. I think it's technically Seminyak, or right on the edge between Legian and Seminyak -- a good 5 km from Kuta.

#36375 - 19 Nov 06 11:35 Re: Warung Italia [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Ok just SMSed Fabio, here are the details:
Jalan Kunti No. 2
Seminyak Village,
Badung District 80361
Tel +62-361-737437

Oh and I forgot to mention what Ai ate, the absolutely delectable pesto ravioli filled with ricotta cheese!

#36417 - 20 Nov 06 09:36 Re: Warung Italia [Re: riccardo]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Sounds yummy and interesting, will definitely give it a shot next time I visit Bali. Very possibly end of 2006.

#36418 - 20 Nov 06 10:25 Re: Warung Italia [Re: Shesca]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Shesca
Sounds yummy and interesting, will definitely give it a shot next time I visit Bali. Very possibly end of 2006.

might see you there shes ... i'm thinking of taking a -- drum roll please -- holiday.

Moderator:  NetCop