Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36216 - 16 Nov 06 11:50 Advice - Latin American Bar?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

A couple of years or more ago I went out in Kemang with a girl. We went to a Latin American dancing bar. anyone know if its still there, and what its name is?

also a funny bar nearby called the "night club"....

Any ideas anyone....?

Edited by chewwyUK (02 Dec 06 13:06)

#36218 - 16 Nov 06 13:07 Re: Bars [Re: Polar Bear]
Squirrel Offline
Member+

the dumb bastard means Twilight square......

#36222 - 16 Nov 06 21:37 Re: Bars [Re: Squirrel]
No Eye Dear Offline
Member+

Loc: Mars
PB I remember the Salsa Bar and Restaurant and it was really really popular, lots of people and lots of dancing. I also remember one night that lovable, really great, great, great group of guys from the FPI came in and beat a few people up and robbed everybody of their valuables. Soon after that the club moved further up the street, but somehow it never regained its popularity...think it actually closed. If I remember rightly these really really really cool group of men also did another bar/restaurant on Jl Banka. on the same night. Crazy guys.....you have to love their sense of fun, they really know how to have a good time.

Was the other bar a 3 storey building along Kemang Raya ? If so, I think you are referring to The Beat. It started out as an OK bar, fairly cool, great margaritas, they even played some hip funky music then I believe it became a second D's Place in Kemang.It was like, if you can't get the Kemang Bules to come to D's in Blok M, then bring Blok M to them.

#36225 - 16 Nov 06 22:05 Re: Bars [Re: No Eye Dear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
The Beat has all changed. First floor is now a sports bar called DT's (Owners are called Doug & Trevor, second floor has been renamed as "Tipsy's" never been in and the top floor is called Stariway to Heaven,which apparently does a decent BBQ on Friday nights. The top floor terrace is quite pleasant at night, the exhaust fumes from Kemang Raya dont reach quite as far up as the third floor.

All outlets are under different management but the license is held, I believe by an Army General, which keeps the place from being invaded by the FPI.

Oh,nearly forgot: NO SLEAZE

#36231 - 16 Nov 06 23:21 Re: Bars [Re: No Eye Dear]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: No Eye Dear
PB I remember the Salsa Bar and Restaurant and it was really really popular, lots of people and lots of dancing. .

Sad to hear the story of the salsa bar. I had a great time there one night - yep lot of people, everyone dancing.

Adolph was right - twilight Cafe. Soft jazz, nice atmosphere. Still there....??????

(I can ask the girl I was with cos she will kill me....)

Moderator:  NetCop