Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36099 - 14 Nov 06 23:54 Bad English
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Sometimes it's humorous, and if you hear or see it repeatedly it gets on your nerves. It's the new, international English, mangled and often barely understandable. Why can't big Indonesian companies and the government produce proper English? I'm sure many of you out there have better examples than the following.

I checked my XL balance with recorded voice: "Your balance is thirty-first thousand and seventy-four rupiah." Not funny.

Everyday on the busway: "Chech your belonging(sic) and step carefully"(so don't step on anything like eggs?) Not funny.

At a public toilet: "After big job please not to throw into closet." Funny.

Do you have more?

#36100 - 15 Nov 06 00:23 Re: Bad English [Re: xsbir]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
Ok, I am an Indonesian, so my opinion may be a bit subjective.
I agree that there are some public area where the English used for announcement is not exactly correct. However, most of them are not so bad in comparison to other countries that we think should be more international like Japan. Can't think of an example on the top of my head at the moment, but I will once I remember.
PS: the announcement in the busway - chech-well, she's indonesian, pronounciation may not be perfect, step carefully- i think she's referring to the gap between the bus and the step on the station. Some people actually fell accidentally into it!!!

#36102 - 15 Nov 06 00:32 Re: Bad English [Re: Shesca]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I will not comment on this subject. Imagine if the tables were turned. Saya berbahasa bahasa indonesian sedikit!

Thats all I ever say because I know that I will fuck everything else up!

#36107 - 15 Nov 06 01:30 Re: Bad English [Re: Dilli]
cherry-picker Offline

Loc: Jakarta
yes, i agree with dilli ... hey, dude, this IS indonesia, so don't worry about the little glitches ... why don't you post something about the health-obstacles here??? like buses and ojek spewing out toxic fumes; about the BARBED WIRE FENCES at EYE-LEVEL on jalan jaksa, etc. etc. LOTS OF MATERIALS: and maybe it "may" induce a change .... so take it easy .... aku juga berbahasa BI sedikit ... smile

-- from Kim Ki-duk's film The Bow (2005)

#36108 - 15 Nov 06 01:36 Re: Bad English [Re: cherry-picker]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

#36109 - 15 Nov 06 02:21 Re: Bad English [Re: Dilli]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Quoting: Dilli
I will not comment on this subject. Imagine if the tables were turned. Saya berbahasa bahasa indonesian sedikit!

Thats all I ever say because I know that I will fuck everything else up!

When the tables are turned, like in English schools, we English speakers normally don't arrogantly presume we can produce flawless Indonesian, so we get Indonesians to do it. We're talking about big companies and the government. They can afford to hire native speakers as editors.

I've been told that the Indonesian government also does not use native speakers when producing reports for international purposes, for example for APEC, with similar results.

#36110 - 15 Nov 06 02:34 Re: Bad English [Re: xsbir]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ask Kuku, he used to proof read for The Jakarta Post I believe, I am sure he has many instances of editorial mishap!

#36123 - 15 Nov 06 04:56 Re: Bad English [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Dili doesnt know anything about good English. He is Scottish.

Shesca is Indonesian. She learned "English" in the USA.

I AM English.

#36125 - 15 Nov 06 05:38 Re: Bad English [Re: Polar Bear]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
And PB is English and he learned to speak it in 5+1

(George Bernard Shaw)

#36135 - 15 Nov 06 08:44 Re: Bad English [Re: Balibob]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

One of the sadnesses of my life is that the language of my breeding was picked as the tongue of the world.

The French tried, and still try, to persuade the world to adopt its word. No one does. In fact English usage is growing even within France.

And why does this make me sad?

Because my ears are accosted day and night by spluttering morons who claim to speak, and even to teach English.

Well spoken, well constructed English speech is a joy to the ear. It is pure poetry, it has balance, it flows, it has pattern any rhythm.

Sadly, I hardly ever hear it these days.

#36143 - 15 Nov 06 12:30 Re: Bad English [Re: Polar Bear]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Welcome to "international" English, Polar Bear. There are now more non-native speakers of English in the world than native speakers. It's up to educated native speakers to maintain the quality of the language. Who else? There is no "Academie de la langue anglaise" like there is for the French language.

#39456 - 27 Dec 06 01:30 Re: Bad English [Re: xsbir]
Magda Offline
Member+

Loc: Bali, Indonesia
Quoting: xsbir
Sometimes it's humorous, and if you hear or see it repeatedly it gets on your nerves. It's the new, international English, mangled and often barely understandable. Why can't big Indonesian companies and the government produce proper English? I'm sure many of you out there have better examples than the following.

I checked my XL balance with recorded voice: "Your balance is thirty-first thousand and seventy-four rupiah." Not funny.

Everyday on the busway: "Chech your belonging(sic) and step carefully"(so don't step on anything like eggs?) Not funny.

At a public toilet: "After big job please not to throw into closet." Funny.

Do you have more?

Even i dont speak English very well well well smile i do helping some japanwse and frenchman in Bali when they were needing derection to go some where.

and in the last menutes still didnt understand i just used my gesture language smile

Oh yah I have more:
In some small warung in Java - there is a sign board (just light wood) and the owner wrote , we have Snake.... ( i believe they want to write Snack smile

#39460 - 27 Dec 06 04:32 Re: Bad English [Re: xsbir]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Bad English???Oh Goash, I know my english is badder here..
whereas my boss is foreigner and also my bf wink
but the probs is: my boss can speak Indonesi well, everyday in bahasa and my bf speak french..so no one of them that I can learn english well..

my works demand me to speak englis everyday and everytime..meet with clients must be speak english..replay the e-mails must be speak enlish...
but so far, my all clients that I met could understood what I was talking about grin

#39529 - 27 Dec 06 15:08 Re: Bad English [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Polar Bear
One of the sadnesses of my life is that the language of my breeding was picked as the tongue of the world.

The French tried, and still try, to persuade the world to adopt its word. No one does. In fact English usage is growing even within France.

And why does this make me sad?

Because my ears are accosted day and night by spluttering morons who claim to speak, and even to teach English.

Well spoken, well constructed English speech is a joy to the ear. It is pure poetry, it has balance, it flows, it has pattern any rhythm.

Sadly, I hardly ever hear it these days.

That and the fact that you can't speak another language can you ? yet another irony is that your posts are littered with poor grammar and spelling -

Edited by James Hanratty (27 Dec 06 15:10)

#39535 - 27 Dec 06 22:36 Re: Bad English [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: James Hanratty
That and the fact that you can't speak another language can you ? yet another irony is that your posts are littered with poor grammar and spelling -

Ohhhh kay, (with due sense of trepidation)..

Actually James I do speak a couple of other languages. One quite well, the other not so well. Can you name them?

But of course, you speak Indonesian so you are the local hero. (the ability to speak Indonesian is rated within the Australian Defence force as a level 1 skill, along with Tok Pisin. Japanese and Korean are both level 4 skills).

You arenít quite the hero you think. I guess me pointing out that your famed skill only accounts for 7% of communication really hurt your pride.....

Spelling? Yes, I simply cannot type, and my spelling is atrocious. I admit that. I didnít think my grammar was particularly bad. Perhaps you could post some examples and detail where I went wrong. (Dont forget we have a number of English techers on this site. Be careful you dont make a prat of yourself again.... smile )

#39550 - 28 Dec 06 07:52 Re: Bad English [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
why not log on to www.kexpat.com and slag of the korean girls ? should give your ego a good boost Ross - not that it appears to need it .

Corean and Japanese eh Ross ? very good ! i'm really impressed .

#39554 - 28 Dec 06 09:05 Re: Bad English [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

why not log on to www.kexpat.com and slag of the korean girls ? should give your ego a good boost Ross - not that it appears to need it .

I can't speak a word of Korean, and my Japanese is pretty rough....

Oh james, BTW you forgot to post some examples of my poor grammar.

#39607 - 29 Dec 06 03:20 Re: Bad English [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

actually I rather like Korean girls Fred. I was dating a chubby Korean on and off for quite some time. Very nice girl.

As you may know, many have cosmetic surgery, especially eyelid and nose reconstruction. I always feel sorry that they think they need to conform to westeern looks....

Moderator:  NetCop