Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35344 - 02 Nov 06 09:21 Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali)
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Kama Sutra

Drive along the Pantai Kuta Street and just a few meters after the Hard Rock Café is this little gem on Kuta Beach. Bypass the dodgy looking security guards at the front and you will come to a “pay station” Don’t know if it’s a regular thing or not but Indonesian people can expect the cover charge to be the cost of an overpriced drink (50,000 – 100,000). Bules will be let in for free as they know that the chances are they will drink while inside! Interestingly enough if you are a bule you can chance your arm and just walk to the front of the line and march right in.

Although Kama Sutra has two floors all the action takes place on the lower level. More laid-back crowds can proceed upstairs and unwind at in one of the several pool tables provided by the club.

Kama Sutra has a roster of live bands, which play plenty of cheesy tunes. It’s not a place for a sophisticated night more of a good school disco experience. The band was good fun and got the crowd going … at times some of the stunts pulled where so terrible it was funny (like bringing girl on stage to sing happy birthday). Between sets and late in to the night the DJ does his thing and everybody goes crazy. Only a handful of people sitting on the sides and the dance floor heaving with people.

Given the live pop band aspect it isn’t a place that is popular with bule holidaymakers. Very popular with locals which makes for a nice change in Bali. Don’t expect a bunch of Bali girls who are happy to be groped like a piece of meat … but you will find girls and guys who are there for a great time and certainly interested in romance more than exchanging money for sex.

Maybe I had a little too much fun at this place as when I went to my car I started to get very confused as to why the button wasn’t working for the car alarm and why my key wouldn’t fit the lock. Lucky enough the owner of the car was there to point out that I had the wrong car and mine was parked a few spaces down (doh!). The night then continued to go down hill when I got lost and ended up in Double Six and then after double six trying to drive in to KuDeTa long after it had shut (but that’s for another review).

#35381 - 03 Nov 06 03:56 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: chewwyUK]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Actualy, it's the only bar in Kuta where you can find the same bands playing in Jakarta's 5 star hotels. They're all good bands, but most of the time they are more in vacation then on the job...

#35383 - 03 Nov 06 04:06 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Orang Kanada]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
in our country we we say that " they are on the Job whilst on vacation" hahahaa

(George Bernard Shaw)

#35384 - 03 Nov 06 04:09 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Balibob]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

is playing in a band considered a real job then?

#35459 - 04 Nov 06 02:54 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: chewwyUK]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

I can see Cheww you never performed 4 sets per nights, 6 nights a week, plus new songs to learn by yourself then group rehearsal during the day, choregraphies, and more, and more... That's the hardest job I did in my life, and I've been a carpenter and a lumberjack (as student's summer jobs)! If you wanna be the best, you have to work for it... notice that I don't talk about garage bands, but the kindda band those hotels are ready to pay big money to make them come... from Canada, for exemple...

#35460 - 04 Nov 06 03:07 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Orang Kanada]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

hook line and sinker .... I knew either you or Dilli would bite hehehe

#35473 - 04 Nov 06 03:47 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
the worst thing for me as a musician was the stress. especially constantly having to land gigs, and then extracting payment from sleazy bar owners. it's a job all right.

#85171 - 28 Aug 08 21:13 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: chewwyUK]
HypnotiqueBali Offline

Loc: Seminyak Square, Jalan Oberoi,...
Instead of fighting through the traffic, risking having your car bumped or broken into, simply drive straight up the Sunset Road to Seminyak and enjoy the newest and trendiest of Club Lounges to hit Bali & Indonesia.

Heres what they latest review says:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Well Finally Jakarta Night Life Arrives in Bali!

PROGRESSIVE "NO-RULES" Club Lounge Called - HYPNOTIQUE.
The newest and most hyp addition to Eat Street's burgeoning bussle of bizziness (...and now bars), opens its doors and hearts to a sexy cocktail of style and savvy.
This state-of-the art cocktail bar and lounge caters to Seminyak's swish mix of local and foreign revellers, treating guests to high-end mixology by none other than local master-blaster, Yos Malelak, of BaliMoon, BehindBars and RedSquare Bar (Jakarta) fame.
Sleak lounge-design features include spherical custom-made PurpleDot Audio systems seen as the best audio sound in Indonesia, audio-reactive water-walls, along with the signature eye-shaped screens that swirl you on to next flavor.
Totally up market in comparison to Red Square!
Music will keep a more urban and rare groove vibe through the weekdays and then take things up a notch on weekends.
Service and value will no doubt be two of the best hooks for repeat offenders here, as bar-tenders will soon know you on a first-name basis, how you like your drink, and even which way the taxi needs to go to get you home safe...

The Best Club Lounge in Indonesia
The Best Sound System in Indonesia
The Best Cocktails in Indonesia

Want to see for yourself contact us to book your VIP table: steve@hypnotiquebali.com

The party start and finishes here!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Dont waste your time in Kama Sutra Bali, head to the more sophisticated Seminyak, relax and enjoy amongst the peace and quiet!

#85176 - 28 Aug 08 22:23 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: HypnotiqueBali]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: HypnotiqueBali
Club Lounge Called - HYPNOTIQUE.

Sounds ghastly.

#85177 - 28 Aug 08 22:37 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: kenyeung]
Phoenix Offline

Loc: .
Not only that but by spamming an expat forum you make yourself look like a cunt. A sure fire way to ensure to put people off.

So Are you Steve Chadwick, Regional Sales & Marketing Director Bali Moon Liqueurs or Steve the property sales guy http://www.viviun.com/AD-13748/ or Steve Chadwick the cheating opening batsman for Lubaks CC

"The final – Lubaks CC Vs Geckos CC
After winning the toss the Lubaks CC chose to bat in what would be a 50 over game. Their innings began controversially after an appeal for caught behind of opener Steve Chadwick off the fourth ball was not given"

#85178 - 28 Aug 08 22:47 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Phoenix]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Oooh Errrr.....Not Cricket!

#85179 - 28 Aug 08 22:50 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Dilli]
Phoenix Offline

Loc: .
A gentleman would have walked ... you could hear the nic in the cheap seats. Rumor has it the umpire was bribed with some Bali Moon and free passes to the "VIP" section

#85181 - 29 Aug 08 00:02 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: HypnotiqueBali]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

The newest and most hyp addition to Eat Street's burgeoning bussle of bizziness (...and now bars), opens its doors and hearts to a sexy cocktail of style and savvy.

For this sentence alone, the skin should be flayed from your bones.

#85183 - 29 Aug 08 01:29 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: kenyeung
Club Lounge Called - HYPNOTIQUE.

Sounds ghastly.

Indeed lads, I'd rather saw my own legs off with the sharp edge of a piece of paper than set foot in the kind of la-di-da and poncified boudoir that Hypnotique no doubt aspires to be.

#85184 - 29 Aug 08 01:36 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Tell us more of this cricketing scandal though Phoenix baby. Very interesting. Those Bali Moon liqueurs are pure bodyline.

#85185 - 29 Aug 08 01:43 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
the worst thing for me as a musician was the stress. especially constantly having to land gigs, and then extracting payment from sleazy bar owners. it's a job all right.

Do wot Ku??!! You were rocking out in a metal wig playing "You Shook Me All Night Long" down The Goat and Vasectomy six nights a week?? Tell all son!!

#85187 - 29 Aug 08 07:14 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Nah, I think he played the back ground music for sleazy ozzie supermarkets...music to fall asleep to!

#85188 - 29 Aug 08 08:10 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Roy's Hair

Do wot Ku??!! You were rocking out in a metal wig playing "You Shook Me All Night Long" down The Goat and Vasectomy six nights a week?? Tell all son!!

no, more like "goodnight irene" and "smoke on the water". in the same set.

#85189 - 29 Aug 08 09:41 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

dan dan dan...dan dan de-dan...dan dan dan...dan dan....Smooooooooooooooooooooooooke on the waaarrrder!!!

and the hair styles?

#85190 - 29 Aug 08 09:53 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Roy's Hair
and the hair styles?

well, put it this way: i could sit on my hair. and i'm not a short lad ...

#85200 - 29 Aug 08 15:29 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

I have a recording of South African songster Jeremy Taylor performing Goodnight Irene onstage with Spike Milligan, with Spike adlibbing new choruses. Pure class.

Connoiseurs of fine music might remember Taylor's other big hit, Ag Pleez Daddy. Wiranto performed a cover of this song with bagpipes up his arse at Suharto's funeral.

#85201 - 29 Aug 08 16:06 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: kenyeung]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Loc: Bogor
Quoting: kenyeung

I have a recording of South African songster Jeremy Taylor performing Goodnight Irene onstage with Spike Milligan, with Spike adlibbing new choruses. Pure class.

Connoiseurs of fine music might remember Taylor's other big hit, Ag Pleez Daddy. Wiranto performed a cover of this song with bagpipes up his arse at Suharto's funeral.

uh hum, i guess i mus be a connoiseur. Bet there aren't too many others around. Wasn't J.T related to the Patten Bros???

#85203 - 29 Aug 08 16:16 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: Phoenix]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Quoting: Phoenix
Not only that but by spamming an expat forum you make yourself look like a cunt. A sure fire way to ensure to put people off.

So Are you Steve Chadwick, Regional Sales & Marketing Director Bali Moon Liqueurs or Steve the property sales guy http://www.viviun.com/AD-13748/ or Steve Chadwick the cheating opening batsman for Lubaks CC

"The final – Lubaks CC Vs Geckos CC
After winning the toss the Lubaks CC chose to bat in what would be a 50 over game. Their innings began controversially after an appeal for caught behind of opener Steve Chadwick off the fourth ball was not given"

Phoenix. i certainly won't argue with you that this Chadwick chap is a bit of a prick with ears advertising his awful sounding venue here, but we do differ on the etiquette (if not the rules) of cricket. Surely, if Chadwick was not given out by the umpire then it is his privilege to stand his ground and not walk. Most professional players would do this and it can hardly be considered cheating. Umpires mistake right?? With the technology used in the recent India vs Sri Lanka series (which is sure to become used in all games), where teams can appeal all decisions (not just run outs and stumpings) to a T.V umpire, this issue will soon be a thing of the past.

#85204 - 29 Aug 08 16:17 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: witty handle]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: witty handle
Wasn't J.T related to the Patten Bros???

Yes, by marriage, apparently. A bit like how Barbara Windsor married Ronnie Kray, and then Morrissey sang about Reggie Kray in Last of the Famous International Playboys on his second solo album, the underrated Bona Drag.

#85206 - 29 Aug 08 16:30 Re: Bar Review - Kama Sutra (bali) [Re: kenyeung]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Much preferred 'Your Arsenal'
: For obvious reasons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop