Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105293 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Just Placing it out there
Similar to the phrase "just putting that out there", but it is usually said more as suggestion, particularly when the person saying it lacks confidence that his answer or solution is correct.
Just placing it out there, but we should go bowling tonight.
Just placing it out there, but I think Rachel likes you.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35240 - 01 Nov 06 05:03 ANT/Cat gets Indonesian protester's tongue
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Cat gets Indonesian protester's tongue

Jakarta (Antara News) - An Indonesian university student got almost four months in jail for calling the president and his deputy "cat excrement," a court clerk said Tuesday.

Fahrur Rohman, 19, was found guilty of publicly insulting President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Vice President Jusuf Kalla and handed a sentence of three months and 23 days on Monday, a clerk at the South Jakarta court was quoted by AFP as saying.

Rohman made the insults during a June protest to demand that former president Suharto face trial for corruption. He was immediately freed as he had been detained since then.

During the trial, the court was told that the defendant repeatedly called the pair "scoundrels," "dogs" and "cat excrement" and helped distribute posters emblazoned with their defaced portraits.

The charges were brought by police and not Yudhoyono or Kalla. They were based on a law passed by former colonial master the Netherlands that is rarely used. (*)

Promotion
Firefox 2: Rediscover the Web
#35245 - 01 Nov 06 05:17 Re: ANT/Cat gets Indonesian protester's tongue [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
Do you think I can say what I think of the president on JakChat without going in court?

#35258 - 01 Nov 06 06:03 Re: ANT/Cat gets Indonesian protester's tongue [Re: Orang Kanada]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
One of the most fundamental human rights is the right to free speech and expression. Ironically, Indonesia, one of the worst rights abusers in the world has endorsed, ratified and supposedly implemented into law the UN Human Rights Charter. AND Indonesia is currently the chair of the UN Rights Commission.... GO FRIGGIN' FIGURE????!!!!

Another tragic irony is that the law they used yesterday (this is 2006) to convict that kid is the exact same law imposed by the Dutch Colonial Government here over 200 years ago to prevent Indonesian people from speaking ill of their Dutch Masters!!

#35268 - 01 Nov 06 06:46 Re: ANT/Cat gets Indonesian protester's tongue [Re: Orang Kanada]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Orang Kanada
Do you think I can say what I think of the president on Jakchat without going in court?

hmmmm. not sure. give it a try, and see what happens.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website