Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105295 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
bull mother fucking shit
The response for when someone is telling huge porkies.
Tony: I always clean up after myself.
Sharon: Bull mother fucking shit.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34986 - 27 Oct 06 02:09 InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean?
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
So this morning, Thursday, two days after Lebaran, Kuku mentioned a, supposedly, phrase: InAGaddaDaVida. I got as far as it was the hit song that Iron Butterfly, an American band inthe late 60s, had.
Anybody knows what it means?
Kuku promised one month of free personal janitorial service (he's been well trained btw after this Lebaran holiday) at your house for those who can tell us what it means.

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#34987 - 27 Oct 06 02:10 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: Shesca]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Plus a glass of lemon squash, freshly squeezed smile

#34988 - 27 Oct 06 02:32 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: Shesca]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
inagaddadavida is a super-secret code used by an exclusive alternative counter-culture group to subvert the imperialist running dogs of US capitalism and soviet state-capitalism.

#34991 - 27 Oct 06 03:06 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Legend has it that the lead singer of Iron Butterfly was so messed
up on "something" that he was slurring his words trying to say: "In The Garden Of Eden", but all that came out was, "Inagaddadavida". The rest is history.

#34992 - 27 Oct 06 03:21 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

you got it riccardo! you win a lemon squash!! smile (do try to conceal your excitement!)

for those with the bandwidth, the original InAGaddaDaVida could be available at http://www.JakChat.com/public/Iron%20Butterfly%20-%20Inagaddadavida.mp3

#34993 - 27 Oct 06 03:21 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's an excerpt from the original Rolling Stone mag review (Nov. 1968) after the album was released. Somehow I doubt this reviewer (Jim Pomeroy) was listening to the album with the necessary "enhancements":

Ron Bushy, drummer, is the only really talented person here; he of course is responsible for the famous drum solo in the title song. "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is another rock epic taking up all of one side and in doing so manages to bore me to death. It's pretty ridiculous, lasting 17 minutes, most of it very repetitious with little improvisation ("we used to (improvise) but now we know where it's at") and lots of superfluity—the drum solo, for example, contributes very little to the song. The lyrics make a little sense until you learn that it's a song about life and that the title means "in a garden of life." My my, isn't that clever?

basically the Iron Butterfly is just another third class group posing as a first class one so high school girls can freak out over them; they are definitely "in" and "what's happening." Oh hum, they'll go away after awhile. It's just a matter of time and the latest musical fads blowing over. (RS 22)

#34994 - 27 Oct 06 03:28 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
Here's an excerpt from the original Rolling Stone mag review (Nov. 1968) after the album was released. Somehow I doubt this reviewer (Jim Pomeroy) was listening to the album with the necessary "enhancements":

Jim Pomeroy will be first up against the wall come the revolution.

#34996 - 27 Oct 06 03:43 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

a year or so later, another subversive counter-culture group called Chicago Transit Authority released "25 or 6 to 4", further undermining the fabric of Amerikan society and unleashing social chaos across the western world.

this song has special meaning for me because it features trombones, an instrument that i had only just started learning. rather than being relegated as a "background" instrument supporting violin and woodwinds, this song pushed the trombone to the front, displaying it's wild and aggressive expression to the fullest. ah, i so much wanted to play like that ...

this song could be available at http://www.JakChat.com/public/Chicago%20-%2025%20or%206%20to%204.mp3 ...

Note: to save directly to your hard drive, right click and select "Save Link as ..." (Firefox) or "Save Target as ..." (IE).

#34998 - 27 Oct 06 04:27 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: riccardo]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Quoting: riccardo
Legend has it that the lead singer of Iron Butterfly was so messed
up on "something" that he was slurring his words trying to say: "In The Garden Of Eden", but all that came out was, "Inagaddadavida". The rest is history.

Hoorrayy!!! Yoo hooo.... Thanks Riccie, you are my hero. See, Ku, I CAN get the answer myself. So,when will you start at Riccie's house? How about 1st of November, so you will remember when to finish.

#34999 - 27 Oct 06 04:52 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: Shesca]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Chicago was great until Terry Kath lost a game of Russian Roulette, then Pete Cetera took over and turned them into a hideous, sappy ballad chick group with 'hits' like "Love Me Tomorrow" eeeeek!!

I have the entire early Chicago (CTA) collection on MP3, my faves are "South California Purples" and "Beginnings" and "Mississippi Delta Blues", "Does Anybody Know What Time It Is", "In The Country" and the best one "Questions 67 & 68"

#35002 - 27 Oct 06 06:20 Re: InAGaddaDaVida - what does it mean? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Another great example, Kuku, of some great horn work -- relatively unprecedented at the time in the world of Rock -- is Chicago's "Make Me Smile"
Incidentally, that's one of the songs that I cut my drumming "teeth" on, sitting in as a 9-year-old while my dad's band (played mostly cover songs in nightclubs and dance halls) rehearsed at the house and the drummer was too stoned to practice.

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website