Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34907 - 23 Oct 06 00:38 The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what?
preman Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta
The Jakarta Post web site has been down for more than two days now. No sign that it's going to get back up.

A few hours offline every now and again, well that's understandable and forgivable in the current Internet context. But two whole days?

Truly, these guys are complete fucking amateurs.

#34927 - 23 Oct 06 21:07 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: preman]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
day 4, and they're still off-line ... talk about professional pride!

#34935 - 24 Oct 06 07:06 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

day 5! welcome back, Jakarta Post!

#34940 - 24 Oct 06 23:41 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

oops. spoke too soon. they're down again ...

#34960 - 25 Oct 06 23:17 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

day 6. still down.

#34985 - 26 Oct 06 23:26 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

day 7. thejakartapost.com still down.

#35014 - 27 Oct 06 23:18 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

day 8. still down. people are beginning to talk ...

#35023 - 28 Oct 06 03:49 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kareltjuhh belanda Offline
Member+

Loc: belanda
still down, its unbelievable. I always considered The Jakarta Post one of the thrustworthy strongholds of independant news, did they criticise the government too much and are they taken down/?? I thought liberty of press was quite good in Indonesia last couple of years? Or is it just plain incompetence??

#35042 - 29 Oct 06 01:06 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: kareltjuhh belanda]
Pooh Bah

day 9. down, down, down.

#35043 - 29 Oct 06 01:39 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Are there any subscribers here who get the print edition? Are they still publishing at all?

#35044 - 29 Oct 06 02:35 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

yes, they are still publishing the print edition. i've seen it being sold at sarinah.

i guess the modern world is not a high priority for The Jakarta Post. and with no competition to speak of -- The Point hardly counts -- they'll probably stay that way.

#35049 - 29 Oct 06 04:54 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
How about this for an exercise in futility, ringing the Post and asking reception what the problem is. I might try it just for a laugh … yep, the receptionist didn’t seem to know what the Internet was, let alone connect me with anybody who might, though probably wouldn’t, know.

#35050 - 29 Oct 06 05:13 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

bwahahahaha!! crazy man! what did you expect??? smile

#35053 - 29 Oct 06 23:01 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

day 10. we're now in double digits ...

#35059 - 30 Oct 06 05:48 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I spoke to one of the JP editors last night and he said, "It's THE POINT's fault. They poached all the circulation/distribution people and perhaps now they've got to the IT people..."

And I asked why the JP doesn't replace them with new people, he said, "I guess it takes time and everybody that does hiring is on holiday..."

Granted, he doesn't deal with the online version and that side of things, but interesting nonetheless.

#35060 - 30 Oct 06 05:55 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

how fascinating! mind you, the old JP IT people weren't really flash either. but yes, recruiting people this time of the year is very hard. that situation will turn around completely in a week or two's time.

#35061 - 30 Oct 06 05:58 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

The Jakarta Post, in a week's time: "The last person out please turn off the lights."

#35066 - 30 Oct 06 08:56 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

at long last, an explanation, from The Jakarta Post mailing list:

Quote:
Dear all,

Mohon maaf server website TJP sedang dalam kondisi sekarat sehingga tidak bisa diakses. Masalah kronis dan akut ini menunjukkan peningkatan masalah pada hari Senin tanggal 23 Oktober.

Sempat hidup sebentar tapi mati lagi, mati lagi. Eh, jadi ingat lagu anak-anak dulu yang jadi theme song Cepat Tepat SMP/SMA:

Bapakku punya mobil mewah
Mengajak 'ku pergi keliling kota
Dan tiba-tiba mogok di jalan
Pulangnya jalan kaki ke rumah

Si jago mogok
Nama yang kuberikan
Keluar bengkel
Sebulan masuk lagi

Mohon bersabar saja karena itu server memang sudah tua dan pengadaan yang baru menurut pejabat yang berwenang "prosesnya sudah jalan". Beliau juga berjanji akan mencek pada hari Senin.

Cheers,

XXXX XXXX XXXXXXX
Webmaster
The Jakarta Post

basically, the situation is being blamed on a server that is too old.

#35079 - 31 Oct 06 02:38 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

day 11.

#35080 - 31 Oct 06 02:57 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

..."prosesnya sudah jalan"...

I've heard that before.

#35081 - 31 Oct 06 03:02 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo

..."prosesnya sudah jalan"...

I've heard that before.

it means "yeah, whenever. maybe."

#35112 - 31 Oct 06 09:21 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

ok, here's the latest on the JP website saga, from the webmaster himself:

Quoting: Jakarta Post mailing list
Dear all,

Berhubung server website kita semangkin sekarats, tim website telah menerbitkan blog The Jakarta Post di wordpress.com yang bisa diakses di tjpost.wordpress.com.

Telah disediakan categories yang menyerupai susunan di website. Sementara ini yang dapat kita lakukan supaya berita kita tetap tersiar. Masih teks dulu mudah-mudahan foto bisa menyusul. Mohon juga disebarluaskan ke segala relasi mengenai penyelesaian darurot ini.

Harap maklum

Cheers,

XXXXX

roughly, it says: "in connection with our website server becoming increasingly sick, the website team has published a "The Jakarta Post" blog on wordpress.com, that can be accessed at tjpost.wordpress.com.

"categories have been made to give the site structure. This is all we can do in order that our news is disseminated. At the moment it's just text but hopefully later we can put photos in as well. Please make this emergency [website] known to as many people as possible."

#35116 - 31 Oct 06 11:01 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

[x] [D'ruby] u're missing JP so much huh

[x] [D'ruby] day 1, day 11..

[x] [KuKuKaChu] yep ... have you read the latest? they've moved the JP site to a blog!! amazing!

[x] [D'ruby] poor them

[x] [D'ruby] how many of them left?

[x] [KuKuKaChu] good question. the fact they could not even find a programmer is really odd. web programming isn't rocket science.

[x] [D'ruby] Kuku, u can buy their website?

[x] [KuKuKaChu] hehehe ... i don't think so. they're not quite *that* stupid!

[x] [KuKuKaChu] but then again....

[x] [D'ruby] u could try

[x] [KuKuKaChu] actually, if they had but asked me, i could have programmed a complete integrated website for them in only three days.

x] [XXX] Speaking of that, I have a friend who is seriously planning to buy 20% of JP shares and be de facto in control

[x] [XXX] Let's just say when that happens there are going to be some MAJOR changers!

[x] [KuKuKaChu] really? tell him to make me managing editor of the online section! seriously!!

[x] [D'ruby] what do u mean? JP changed to what?

[x] [XXX] You know him already, you can ask directly, but I'm sure he'd be all for it

[x] [D'ruby] huu...kuku...cool

[x] [XXX] ruby, my friend is going to buy the whole company very soon

[x] [D'ruby] but can he make profit of it with all the slow down?

[x] [KuKuKaChu] do i know him???

[x] [XXX] He doesn't seem interested in the profit side, more the quality side

[x] [KuKuKaChu] profit could definitely be made, if all the deadwood was chopped out.

[x] [XXX] Yes, Kuku you know him fairly well

[x] [XXX] I'll SMS you

[x] [D'ruby] wow

[x] [KuKuKaChu] actually, a lot of the deadwood went to The Point

[x] [D'ruby] hope JP would get better

[x] [KuKuKaChu] they could get much better. it would be hard to get much worse

x] [KuKuKaChu] you should perhaps make some contributions to the "about" section of tjpost, congratulating them on their move to blogdom.

[x] [XXX] my parents always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything..."

[x] [XXX] so maybe I'll refrain from posting anything there for the time being

[x] [XXX] did this "sick server" have something to do with little blinking chinese hack on their site you think?

[x] [KuKuKaChu] no, nothing at all. the programming behind the site is really weak and full of holes. structurally, it's shit. they use this programming language called ASP, which was all the rage for about 3 months 5 years ago.

[x] [KuKuKaChu] these days we use PHP and XHTML

[x] [XXX] what are they doing about online advertizers

[x] [KuKuKaChu] need i remind you that i am one of them! i'll be expecting some reimbursement!

[x] [XXX] that's exactly why I asked

[x] [KuKuKaChu] btw your friend may also require some legal assistance with the conversion of PT. Bina Media Tenggara from a PMDN into a PMA

#35117 - 31 Oct 06 11:54 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

the new face of The Jakarta Post:

#35119 - 31 Oct 06 13:13 Re: The Jakarta Post -- are they a joke or what? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Ok it's funny they've moved to a wordpress.com hosted blog, but, in a number of ways, they're starting to look like real competition now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop