Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33646 - 13 Sep 06 12:35 Rape and Honor
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The bizarre rape/honor conundrum for a certain group of men, who all happen to be members of a certain religion.

I saw an interesting story http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HI12Ak01.html by a Muslim woman about a film in Turkey that is causing shockwaves.

"...It's a cult film called "That's My Wife". The interest in this low-budget, poor-quality film took off when journalist Agah Ozguc published his latest book on films in Turkey.

The anecdote that got picked up by the mainstream papers, and has been the focus of discussion, was the story about a blow-up sex doll in "That's My Wife". The film was acted in and directed by Mehmet Ezici.

In the film, Ezici's character, a poor and ugly man, is rejected by the women he finds attractive. Unable to marry or pursue a love interest in any way, he purchases a sex doll from Germany, and it becomes his "partner". When she is "raped" by three men, he seeks revenge for the doll's damaged honor and kills all three of the "rapists".

It sounds like a comedy, but it wasn't shot as one, and Agah Ozguc believes it is a suitable metaphor for Turkey's strange attitudes to women and honor.

The Hurriyet newspaper website has received more public responses to the online story about the doll than about the bombings or sending Turkish soldiers to the Lebanon.

This is not the first time blow-up dolls have courted publicity in Turkey. In 2004, a lonely young man, his face hidden in shame, was pictured on the front pages after being caught in a hotel room in Istanbul with such a doll.

Last December, two professional thieves finally came unstuck when, after 45 robberies in two years, they made the mistake of stealing two blow-up dolls, one white and one black, from an erotic shop in Eskisehir. The dolls, worth 700 liras (US$475), were obviously too exciting not to share with friends, and their generosity led to their arrest.

If one searches for "inflatable dolls" on the Internet in Turkish, there are a variety of options and price ranges, perhaps the most interesting of which are the "virgin" dolls. It seems that Agah Ozguc hit the nail on the head when he raised the issue of Turkish men's inability to deal with female sexuality. Even one's plastic playmate must come to bed untouched and intact."

#33647 - 13 Sep 06 14:11 Re: Rape and Honor
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

All of which simply demonstrates my view that Muslims have totally fucked up values....

#33648 - 13 Sep 06 14:21 Re: Rape and Honor
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Sort of reminds of that Tom Hanks film "Cast Away", where the guy stranded on an island becomes very attached to a volleyball, although I think no attempts at sexual relations with it were made, which would be difficult anyhow.

As for Islam and honour, well people would say that it's just a matter of traditional values coming through over the top of Islam but I would say that Islam and traditional ways of life/societies cannot be separated, in fact Islam is traditional society, in the parts of the world where Islam is prevalent.

#33649 - 13 Sep 06 14:35 Re: Rape and Honor
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

moved to Wilson's World

#33650 - 13 Sep 06 14:39 Re: Rape and Honor
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
moved to Wilson's World

#33651 - 13 Sep 06 14:43 Re: Rape and Honor
Shesca Offline
Member*

It sounds real sad, aint it? That's the problem about people who are prevented to do things without explaining why they arent' allowed to do them.
Sorta like asking teenagers not to try drugs. It will actually encourage them more to do them.

#33652 - 13 Sep 06 14:57 Re: Rape and Honor
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

moved to Wilson's World

#33653 - 13 Sep 06 15:38 Re: Rape and Honor
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

moved to Wilson's world

#33654 - 13 Sep 06 18:47 Re: Rape and Honor
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Try it, you might like it!!!!!

#33655 - 13 Sep 06 23:29 Re: Rape and Honor
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
ohh..poor blond dolls! laugh

#33656 - 14 Sep 06 09:21 Re: Rape and Honor
Shesca Offline
Member*

Look, according to research, 90% adultery occurs not due to self trigger. They actually happen from external reasons. And I am one of those who is TOTALLY AGAINST adultery. Sorry..

#33657 - 14 Sep 06 12:41 Re: Rape and Honor
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Is it adultery if a spouse has a blow-up doll and becomes really attached to it physically and emotionally?

Is it rape if, strange men come into one's house and violate the blow-up doll (as in the case of the Turkish film at the beginning of this thread)?

In this twisted old world, I am willing to bet some country will eventually pass a law against the rape of someone's blow-up doll. So any takers, which country (or province/state), will be the first and why do you think so?

#33658 - 14 Sep 06 14:33 Re: Rape and Honor
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I find refreneces to people having intercourse with artifial aids to be offensive.

#33659 - 14 Sep 06 20:16 Re: Rape and Honor
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Oh Riccardo! Stop being a pest and let the world see that this is an open forum, unhindered by "editing".

I cannot imagine what "The Anti Sleaze Campaigner" may have posted that could be so offensive!

#33660 - 14 Sep 06 20:26 Re: Rape and Honor
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Dill, there are loads of other "free-for-all" threads and forums on JakChat, PB had just added something like "delete this thread..", but his first part remained on-topic. Yours is pretty much on-topic too with the artificial aid, but a bit sophomoric no?

#33661 - 14 Sep 06 20:30 Re: Rape and Honor
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

To be honest with, I posted this on the weekend under the "Items for Sale" forum and it was removed (Quite rightly so as it turned out)

I am just laughing my ass off at the recent turn of events regarding morality on other threads and the almost evangelical responses from the iceberg! Thought I would take a pop!

Sophomoric, perhaps, Moronic certainly!

#33662 - 14 Sep 06 20:32 Re: Rape and Honor
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yes, some people -- who shall of course remain nameless -- have not acquitted themselves well in the art of debate wink

#33663 - 14 Sep 06 20:37 Re: Rape and Honor
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Kuku,

Thank you for the high praise! I will endeavour to do better!

#33664 - 14 Sep 06 21:14 Re: Rape and Honor
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Quote:
Originally posted by More Sleaze Pleeze:
Oh Riccardo! Stop being a pest and let the world see that this is an open forum, unhindered by "editing".

I cannot imagine what "The Anti Sleaze Campaigner" may have posted that could be so offensive!
Hey! i have seen that torch product.. they actually sell it online dont they?

Moderator:  NetCop