Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Who's Online
0 registered (), 148 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105296 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Trump's Razor
"The Stupidest explanation is always the right one"
Guy1: "Did you hear that Trump said Chinese Bee's cause Global Warming?"
Guy2: "Chalk another one up to Trump's Razor"
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33598 - 28 Aug 06 21:07 Doing biz in RI? Use Sing. courts
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Fascinating culture clash shown in a few snippets below from a recent JP article-- really shows the amazement from the local Indonesian journo, and shows how even nearby neighbor countries are still trying to figure out the peculiar way in things work in RI...
Particularly fascinating is the Sing. judge's comment below..
----------------------------------------

S'pore courts win trust, RI courts 'win the bribes'

(Singapore Aug. 27) What is different about people's reactions to losing cases -- both civil and criminal -- in Singaporean courts as compared to Indonesian ones?

"In Singapore, the most I can say is stupid judge," said an Indonesian whose company has been battling for months against another Indonesian company in a civil case in Singapore.

In Indonesia? "There are no other words but 'the judge has obviously been bribed'," said another Indonesian on the opposite side.

Their conclusion? "Foreign investors will never return to Indonesia as long as our legal system, including courts, remain as corrupt as they are at present."

After attending some court sessions here, Indonesian visitors will very likely draw a united conclusion: That people have tremendous respect for judges in Singapore.

Trials appear to be both transparent and efficient and judges to have high integrity and vast knowledge of the law. Sadly the Indonesian courts are another story.

Take, for example, a business dispute here, which is being handled by Justice Kan Ting Chiu and is now nearing completion after months of open court proceedings.

Indonesian conglomerate (SIC!) Sukanto Tanoto is suing two defendants, Deutsche Bank and PT Dianlia Setyamukti -- owned by Edwin Soeryadjaya and his business associates -- because Sukanto believes the two defendants were involved in a conspiracy to take away his shares in a coal mine in South Kalimantan, which produces one of the world's highest-grade coals.

Getting a bank loan in Indonesia can require a personal approach. While it may seem strange to the people of other countries, it is not a practice that is against Indonesian law.

Sandiaga testified about getting a loan from Bank Mandiri,"... In Indonesia, the way you get a loan is, you lobby the (bank) director first ... Once the green light is given by the director, we work with the team that is appointed, and everything when the structure is finalized, the term is agreed, then the documentation takes place .. That's how at least Bank Mandiri approached the loan back then in 2002 ..."

The Soeryadjayas, the founder of automotive firm PT Astra International, is a highly respected family in Indonesia. For Indonesian banks a family's reputation means something.

But for non-Indonesians, Sandiaga's testimony that "... Pak Edwin has a very good relationship with the president of Bank Mandiri," could give the wrong impression.

Justice Kan warned: "Sometimes we think everything outside Singapore has a parallel system to ours, but it is not. We already have seen a lot of things which do not exactly coincide with the way we do things here."

However, no matter who wins the case in Singapore, it is unlikely anyone will think,"Justice Kan was bribed." While in Indonesia, that would probably be the case...

However, no matter who wins the case in Singapore, it is unlikely anyone will think,"Justice Kan was bribed." While in Indonesia, that would probably be the loser's first reaction.

#33599 - 29 Aug 06 14:44 Re: Doing biz in RI? Use Sing. courts
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Curiouser and Curiouser!

The article above by someone named Cornelius Purba at JP, most of which I edited out in order to simply focus on the Sing-RI court perceptions, seems to have been paid for by the plaintiff and a PR firm to tune of $10k and a week of luxury accommodation!!

Check out the inside scoop on these blogs:

http://unspun.wordpress.com/tag/public-relations/

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website