Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105296 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
small hands
A male physical attribute with implications of having a small cock.
"Yo Rich, what up wit yo small hands?"
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33459 - 19 Jul 06 19:38 Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
What with all these Earthquakes and WW3 breaking out in the Middle East, it reminded me of what my old Sunday School teacher told us would happen in the end times:

* Wars and Rumors of wars, revolutions.
* Famines, earthquakes, pestilence
* Nations and kingdoms at war.
* Many people will claim to be the Messiah
* People will be decieved by these fakers.
* Christians persecuted and killed.

Does make one wonder, I suppose.

#33460 - 19 Jul 06 19:56 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
Ya, kiamat sudah dekat...

#33461 - 19 Jul 06 20:27 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Ricchi, .. those mentioned by our Sunday School teachers happen all the time throughout history.

I think the telltale signs are made for recruitment purposes..

#33462 - 19 Jul 06 20:59 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Choco, I don't disagree with you that "certain people" use such things as recruiting tools, but in terms of earthquakes and wars, we are at all-time historical peaks right now:

Between 1991 and 2006 (the high point for the post–World War II period), 28 armed struggles for self-determination (intra-state wars) started or restarted, while 43 more were ongoing (including Indonesia-Papua).
These are the Ongoing inter-state wars:

* 1964-present Colombian Armed Conflict (aka Colombian Civil War, Colombian Conflict)
* Late 1960s-present New People's Army insurgency and Islamic Insurgency in the Philippines
* 1975-present Independence War in Cabinda Angola
* 1983-present Ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka
* 1984-present Civil war in Papua , Western New Guinea, Indonesia
* 1984-present Kurdistan Workers Party/Turkey war
* 1986-present Lord's Resistance Army rebellion in Uganda
* 1988-present Casamance Conflict in Senegal
* 1988-present Somali Civil War
* 1996-present Nepal Civil War
* 1999-present Ituri Conflict (Democratic Republic of Congo)
* 1999-present Second Chechen War (Russia)
* 2000-present al-Aqsa Intifada in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza Strip
* 2000-present Conflict in Laos involving the Hmong
* 2001-present United States invasion of Afghanistan
* 2001-present Civil War in Côte d'Ivoire
* 2001-present South Thailand insurgency
* 2003-present Iraq conflict, also known as Iraqi insurgency
* 2003-present Balochistan conflict, Pakistan
* 2004-present Waziristan War
* 2004-present Darfur conflict (Sudan)
o Chadian-Sudanese conflict and the Second Chadian Civil War, extensions of the Darfur conflict
* 2005-present Western Sahara Independence Intifada
* 2006-present 2006 Israel-Lebanon crisis

EARTHQUAKES:
between 1985 and 1995 (incl), a period of 11 years, there were "just" 9 earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater. This is not markedly different (albeit a slight increase) from all previous (similar periods) of 20th century

But between 1996 and 2006 (incl), a period of only 11 years, there were (at least**) 27 earthquakes with magnitude 7.0 or greater : This is a three-fold increase on the previous decade.

#33463 - 19 Jul 06 22:21 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
branmac Offline
Member+

Loc: Australia
the tectonic activity around Indonesia in recent times is of real concern. It seems none of the scientists are concerned but they could not even predict the tsunami on Sunday /Monday that killed over 500 Indonesians. In Indonesia they said there is no chance of tsunami south of Java as there was no history of this. Only one individual disputed their claim and he was correct. I made a previous light hearted statement in another discussion about the advancement of the Australian tectonic plate towards the Sunda plate but in reality if the Australian plate moves at the rate of 59mm per year and we experience this amount of disruption and earthquakes then how much damage is it going to cause as the two plates get closer and closer and the friction increases. I wonder if all of our earth scientists have ever looked at the formation of these two plates which must have their own mountains and valleys and ever tried to predict the point of greatest contact. In our region the frequency of earthquakes per day seems to be increasing rapidly in comparison with the rest of the world. On Sunday/Monday there were 16 earthquakes south of Java in 11 hours.. all between 5.5 and 7.2 on the richter scale. I do not know if this in unprecedented or if it is normal but it worries the hell out of me.

#33464 - 20 Jul 06 08:27 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
perhaps the island of java will be swallowed up into the java trench?

#33465 - 20 Jul 06 11:32 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
Ya, kiamat sudah dekat...
probably it's a soft warning from God to us..
"O minkind! the death will pick you up soon!
so be aware smile

#33466 - 20 Jul 06 13:08 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
perhaps the island of java will be swallowed up into the java trench?
I predict so...

#33467 - 26 Jul 06 15:31 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I was camped out on the side of Gunung Merapi drinking ice cubes dunked in Bintang and waiting for the volcano to blow when I got to talking to a mountain man who explained the whole thing.

He wasn’t actually born a mountain man, but a Bugis seafarer; a life about as far removed from life in the hills as you can get. Unfortunately, it wasn’t his calling and two or three shipwrecks convinced him to move into the middle of the most populated island on the planet. And there he had remained for the last 20 or 30 years. (The Bintang was working and details are hazy – I needed it as I have this strange fear of molten rock and pyroclastic flows.)

The legend went, he said, all the way back to the time of the first Sultan of Yogyakarta who was chilling in his palace garden when Nyi Roro Kidul, the Queen of the South Seas, splashed up demanding he marry her. The sultan, obviously not one to lie to get a chick in bed, said he would think the whole thing through, to which the Queen responded by placing food at his feet. In a trademark move followed religiously by many Blok M ayam since, she told him that when he decided yes, he should eat the treats and await the results.

As men in power are prone to do, the Sultan ordered a passing servant, a gardener, to be brave for him and sample the food, which resulted in the peasant transforming into a ogre – a hideous ogre too, not anything cute or Shrek-like at all. The gardener, errr ogre, was understandably mortified and asked his Sultan for advice. Instead of soothing his employee with words of comfort about his new appearance, the Sultan was a tad more direct; “Mate, you had better run for the hills. And while your there, please be guardian of Gunung Merapi.”

And so it came to pass, that the gardener was appointed the guardian of the volcano, where he has remained since, occasionally venting his anger whenever he deemed that man was harming the environment.

Needless to say, the environmental situation on Merapi has continued to decline with mining, deforestation and the trapping of wildlife continuing, though black panther are still said to roam and Javanese eagles can still apparently be seen riding thermal updrafts over the constantly smoking volcano (I saw what I was told were three when I was there; good luck they say).

And herein lies the crux of the problem, the mountain man said. The environmental destruction has reached such a peak that the guardian has been showing his displeasure with the increased activity of the volcano.

And the earthquake? The Queen of the South Seas was so concerned about the situation that she organised a meeting with the guardian. It was during this ogre update that she became so enraged she struck the table around which they were seated, causing the earthquake south of Yogyakarta. Thus the ground cracked, homes were levelled, buildings cracked, people were killed and a plague of rats descended. (And that was just the aid workers.)

There was no word of where the latest Sultan was during this meeting – apparently the Ocean, mountain, palace and a few monuments in Yogya form a straight line -- but it can be safely assumed the governor was involved in feathering his own nest somewhere else. Probably from Javanese eagles.

I have not been back since and therefore cannot give insight into the latest tsunami disaster but no doubt the Queen, enraged by the continued environmental destruction caused by man (the aid workers demanding the Hyatt provide them with clean, white towels on a daily basis), is behind this too.

Make up your own minds.

An interesting aside is the legend that the Queen likes her victims to be wearing green. Does anyone know if this relates to the Queen buried in Pelabuhan Ratu, who threw herself off rocks rather than have her subjects convert to Islam? The story goes that anyone wearing green, the colour of Islam, who ventures into the water is taken.

#33468 - 30 Jul 06 07:42 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
BAck to the end-of-the-world theme, this is how the media would handle this event:

Quote:

USA Today: WE'RE DEAD.
Wall Street Journal: Dow Jones Plummets as World Ends.
National Enquirer: O.J. and Nicole, Together Again.
Inc. Magazine: 10 Ways You Can Profit From the Apocalypse.
Rolling Stone: The Grateful Dead Reunion Tour.
Sports Illustrated: Game Over.
Playboy: Girls of the Apocalypse.
Lady's Home Journal: Lose 10 Pounds by Judgment Day with Our New "Armageddon" Diet!
TV Guide: Death and Damnation: Nielson Ratings Soar!
Discover Magazine: How will the extinction of all life as we know it affect the way we view the cosmos?
Microsoft Systems Journal: Netscape Loses Market Share.
Microsoft's Web Site: If you don't experience the rapture, DOWNLOAD software patch RAPT777.EXE.
America OnLine: System temporarily down. Try calling back in 15 minutes.

#33469 - 30 Jul 06 10:03 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hey if we manage things correctly we will reach the end.

Lets see: Hammas invades Israel and takes soldiers hostage. Israel re-occupies part of the Gaza strip. In retaliation Hezbollah invades Israel from the North, and takes a soldier hostage. Israel retaliates by flattening most of southern Lebanon.

Ooopps. That already history.

Next stage.

USA supplies Israel with more powerful smart weapons. Their aim is to reduce civilian casualties, but the Arab world just see the USA resupplying Israel.

Ooopps. That already history.

Next stage.

Israel has to recall huge numbers of its Reservists to relieve its regular forces. The Arab world see his as a major escalation (since they don’t understand regular army concepts). Syria sees this as a prelude to further occupation of Labanon, and a possible invasion of Syria (the major supply and training base for Hezbollah).

Syrian irregular forces move West and occupy southern Lebanon.

Next stage:

The USA panics, and tries to put massive numbers of troops into southern Lebanon as “peace keeping” force. Israel uses this “cover” to strike into Syria, trying to end the Hezbollah threat for once and for all. The USA takes the opportunity to end Syrian sponsored terrorism. A combined force moves into Syria.

Next stage:

Massive terrorist attacks take place all over the world. No country is immune. Thousands die in car bombs, infrastructure is damaged globally. All major capitals suffer loss of train and road bridges, phone and power systems, water plants etc. Meanwhile millions of Muslims riot in every city. They trash every city centre, leaving it burning and destroyed. At the same time Iran moves to help Syria. The combined Israeli and US army finds itself bogged down in the Dayr as Zowr region, where its logistical main supply route starts to fail. Iranian troops attack via Rif Dimashq and push through Jordan, striking at the heart of Israel. The massive US army risks being taken prisoner, cut off in Syria.

All this is about 6 weeks away, and ends the world as we know it.

#33470 - 30 Jul 06 11:02 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

i know you might have been asked this question many times.

But how good do you think the security around city area (in anticipating terrorism)? pretty safe?

I feel a lil bit uneasy whenever i'm walking underground..

#33471 - 30 Jul 06 11:52 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatea:
i know you might have been asked this question many times.

But how good do you think the security around city area (in anticipating terrorism)? pretty safe?

I feel a lil bit uneasy whenever i'm walking underground..
No!

Sydney WILL get attacked, probably Town Hall Station. That is why they removed all of the shops and stalls.

We have about 600 radical mulsims, of which about 60 are prime terrorist material.

We are too open a society. we allow freedoms that help terrorists and hinder authority.

We have already had a number of Islamic riots. The situation will only get worse.

#33472 - 30 Jul 06 19:32 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

then what the hell are you doing in Mill Tower!! get outta there

#33473 - 30 Jul 06 20:53 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I am a long way up the tower.

The chances of being hit EVEN IN BERUIT RIGHT NOW, are far less than being hit by a car (very true given the way the Lebanese drive..)

Anyway I am an army officer, attached to one of the anti terrost units. I would be in the shit anyway.....

#33474 - 01 Aug 06 08:30 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Remember my "third stage" from above? (Israel has to recall huge numbers of its Reservists to relieve its regular forces. The Arab world see his as a major escalation (since they don’t understand regular army concepts). Syria sees this as a prelude to further occupation of Labanon, and a possible invasion of Syria (the major supply and training base for Hezbollah).

Syrian irregular forces move West and occupy southern Lebanon.

OK, from todays newswire:

Israel rejected mounting international pressure to end its war against Hizbollah and launched a new incursion into Lebanon, as world powers squabbled over the urgency of a ceasefire.

Syria, a backer of the Lebanese Shi'ite Muslim guerrilla group, asked its military to raise readiness, pledging not to abandon support for the Lebanese resistance to Israel.

Reuters

Your gonna need a foxhole, better make it a big one...

#33475 - 01 Aug 06 09:50 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Israel planes attack road to Syria
From correspondents in Beirut
August 01, 2006
ISRAELI warplanes struck the road connecting north-eastern Lebanon to Syria early today, Lebanese police said without indicating if there were any casualties.

The village of Hermel, considered a Hezbollah stronghold about 15km from the Syrian border, was hit several times, particularly the road leading from it to the Syrian town of Homs, police said.

Another road to Syria was bombed near the village of Qaa, south-east of Hermel.

Israeli jets yesterday attacked Lebanon's Masnaa border crossing with Syria for the third time in as many days, wounding four customs employees and a civilian, security sources said.

A missile struck a pick-up truck full of vegetables near the customs building while another missile hit a nearby building, they said.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said the raid targeted a truck "transporting arms" but emphasised that "the attack was carried out inside Lebanese territory".

#33476 - 04 Aug 06 17:19 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I wrote: Next stage:

Massive terrorist attacks take place all over the world. No country is immune. Thousands die in car bombs, infrastructure is damaged globally. All major capitals suffer loss of train and road bridges, phone and power systems, water plants etc. Meanwhile millions of Muslims riot in every city. They trash every city centre, leaving it burning and destroyed.

Todays news:

ALP wants probe of suicide bombing claim
Email Print Normal font Large font August 4, 2006 - 6:59PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementThe federal opposition wants the government to investigate reports that south-east Asian suicide bombers are preparing to attack Jewish targets in western nations.

The Jakarta-based Asian Muslim Youth Movement (AMYM) is reportedly deploying more than 200 members to attack Jewish targets in countries that support Israel, such as Britain, the US, and possibly Australia.

The government would not confirm or deny the reports, while security experts doubted the authenticity of the claim.

While not saying whether the reports were true, defence minister Brendan Nelson said the battle against terrorism would be a long, ongoing fight.

"We need to understand that we are involved in a global struggle," Dr Nelson told reporters.

"We are involved in something that is going to last my lifetime and possibly that of my own children.

"If we simply step back ... (from this struggle) we will leave the next generation hostage to a fanatical cause it may never control.

"For that reason in particular, whatever the lunatic, ideological insanity of people who are signed up to terrorism in the world, we cannot afford to be brow-beaten into simply stepping back and not standing up for what we believe and the values of our country."

Labor's homeland security spokesman Arch Bevis called on the government to ensure the claims were investigated fully.

"This threat also raises serious questions about Australia's preparedness to guard against suicide terrorism," he said.

Opposition foreign affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said Labor regarded the threats as serious.

"The bottom line is Australia's involvement in the Iraq war has made Australia a bigger terror target than it otherwise needed to be," he said.

"The challenge for the Howard government is to make sure we have an effective, regional counter terrorism strategy to deal with this new trend."

But former senior defence official Allan Behm played down the threat.

"I don't really think it's a credible threat," he told ABC radio.

"Whether they are able to put together hundreds of people to go and off and become latter day freedom fighters is very doubtful."

#33477 - 04 Aug 06 23:35 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
If Syria goes for Israel on the border I think everyone agrees Israel would smash Syrian armour in a day or two. That would likely be the end of the Assad dynasty, which is already shaky, so I would have thought in realpolitik terms Syria would actually go out of its way to avoid having to fight.

#33478 - 05 Aug 06 09:48 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Jihadis to 'target Australia'
Natalie O'Brien and Stephen Fitzpatrick
August 05, 2006

Ready to damage Israel: Islamic jihadis Eka Jaya, in camouflage jacket, and Rahmat Hidayat, holding gun, in Jakarta after enlisting yesterday to fight.
Picture: Edy Purnomo

RAHMAT Hidayat was one of dozens of young Indonesian men who pledged yesterday to die fighting Israel and its supporters, including Australia.
The 21-year-old politics student registered in Jakarta with the Islamic Defender Front (FPI) to join the jihad.

Mr Hidayat said he wanted to fight Australia because it always "supported Israeli movements".

"Not only am I prepared to carry a gun, but if I have a bomb attached to my body - so long as I can damage Israel - I am ready for that," he told The Weekend Australian.

As the men enlisted to fight, the Howard Government said it would investigate claims that another radical group was sending Southeast Asian suicide bombers around the world to attack Jewish interests in countries that supported Israel, such as Britain, the US and Australia.

The revelations about the plot by the Asian Muslim Youth Movement have been raised with the Indonesian National Police by the Australian Federal Police.

An INP spokesman said it was investigating and may have enough reason to question and detain AMYM leader Suaib Didu if he and the alleged would-be suicide bombers were found to have violated the law by being in possession of improper travel documents.

It is understood INP officers will attend today's "passing out" ceremony for thousands of AMYM jihadi recruits on the northern Indonesian island of Kalimantan.

Mr Didu was travelling to Kalimantan last night to attend the ceremony.

He has claimed the plot to attack Jewish interests is being funded in part by Australian-Indonesian businessmen.

He said earlier this week that 217 jihadis had already been sent to third countries to fight Israel from "behind".

The claims come as dozens of people chanting "set free Lebanon and Palestine from Israel" demonstrated outside the UN headquarters and the US embassy in Jakarta.

Child protesters carried plastic guns and there were large posters of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah.

Federal Human Services Minister Joe Hockey said yesterday the Government was taking seriously the reports that bombers had been dispatched with orders to attack Jewish interests.

"I can tell you that the Minister for Foreign Affairs and the department are investigating ... and we are treating it very, very seriously," Mr Hockey said.

He said Australia had been a terror target for some time.

"You only need to look at Bali, and that was before any major escalation of the conflict in Lebanon and Israel," Mr Hockey said.

"We are a target, we always have been a target and we will be for a very long period of time."

Kim Beazley said Australia had major security issues.

"The Government has dropped the ball on practical measures and protecting ourselves from terrorist assaults," the Opposition Leader said.

Terrorism experts have warned that FPI and AMYM are openly hostile towards the US and its policies on the Middle East.

Opposition foreign affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said terrorism expert Zachary Abuza regarded the threats as a "serious development" and the respected scholar's concerns were enough for Labor to also regard the threats as serious.

"I am concerned that this has sprung up without earlier evidence of action between the (Australian and Indonesian) governments," he said.

Another man who registered yesterday to fight Israel, 31-year-old Eka Jaya, said he wanted to help his "brothers and sisters".

"Mujaheddins seek a martyr's death. It is the risk we face and it is what we yearn for," the former junior league soccer player told The Weekend Australian.

#33479 - 05 Aug 06 09:52 Re: Is This THE END, Beautiful Friend?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by patung:
If Syria goes for Israel on the border I think everyone agrees Israel would smash Syrian armour in a day or two. That would likely be the end of the Assad dynasty, which is already shaky, so I would have thought in realpolitik terms Syria would actually go out of its way to avoid having to fight.
That is why i specified Syrian Irregular forces.

this would force Israel to occupy Syria, which results in an extended, untenable main supply route.

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website