Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33351 - 24 Jun 06 18:46 HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The tragedy of the 15-minute hero and misguided nationalism
By RICCARDO

JAKARTA, INDONESIA: So another tragedy in Israel. Sheik Yassin, wheelchair-bound since he was a toddler, Hamas founder and spiritual leader of a group that has one aim: to destroy the State of Israel by any means necessary. Another ugly, macabre tragedy. Another life taken by violence -- by a rocket he may have never seen or heard, but which decapitated him in a millisecond and turned him into a lifeless blob of coagulating blood, sinew and crushed bone, his wheelchair an absurd piece of twisted scrap metal that only a partially deranged junk artist might find value in.

And for what? Why did those young Israeli pilots in that helicopter, shortly after dawn, shortly after their first cup of sweet tea that beautiful early spring Mediterranean morning, target and fire their devastatingly accurate ultra high-tech rockets at this tired, old man in his wheelchair after his dawn prayer at a mosque?
Because that man, who has been described by some commentators as a “moderate terrorist”, whatever that can possibly be, was a sworn enemy of those pilots, a commander in a brutal war, inspiring and empowering troops of mostly teenage young boys and girls to kill themselves by blowing their own flesh and blood up along with several pounds of nasty chemicals and nails in order to murder, at random, other teens, children and grandmothers who are sitting down for a casual lunch after a day of shopping together.

Yassin hated Israel, and yet he has become an instant hero for some, but if there is any civilized human being that holds him up as a hero, let me be the first to offer an open checkbook for the best psychiatric help available. If he is your hero... well there is nothing else to say but... how terribly miserable you must be. Where has this world, this society and one of the world’s biggest religions gone so horribly wrong? Whatever happened to heroes like Nelson Mandela, Che Guevara, John Kennedy, even David Beckham or Tiger Woods for goodness sakes?

Here in Indonesia, there is clearly much sympathy for the plight of the Palestinian people, and that sympathy is shared by tens of millions of people throughout the world, most notably Western Europeans, and to a lesser extent their Arab brethren in the Middle East. It is commendable that a large group of people can feel compassion for a struggling group of people thousands of miles away, most of whom have never met a Palestinian.

But it raises some disturbing questions: If Indonesian Muslims are so passionate about the plight of people who worship the same Allah who are being pushed off their land, having their freedom and dignity wrested violently away by a ruthless, militarily superior government that kills dozens of them each week, then WHY do Indonesians remain silent -- even encourage -- the government and its stable of hawkish Generals, who are doing the exact same thing in Aceh as Israel is doing in Gaza and the West Bank?

Does the average person here view the Palestinians as better than the Acehnese, more worthy of their compassion? Are Indonesian Muslims afraid of speaking out against the oppression of Aceh, for fear of upsetting the powers that be? Or perhaps, are they so beholden to and wrapped up in this almost neurotic Java-centric nationalism, that they cannot see the parallel? It is, pardon the cliché, the pot calling the kettle black. If they refuse to call their own government or House of Representatives – which recently decided to drastically reduce the oil revenue-sharing deal as it was mandated in the 2005 Helsinki peace accord -- to account for the oppression of the Acehnese?? What gives Indonesian Islamists the moral entitlement to condemn Israel or their ally, the United States, when they refuse to care about ACEH?

During election campaigns, the issue of Aceh, and the bigger question of why so many of the 32 provinces want to separate from the Java-based central government, is completely ignored by the candidates and their supporters. Surely this is an absurd, bizarre case of selective denial, although to be fair most of the political parties fail to put any issues whatsoever on the table. No effort is made to get to the core of the issue – I can just hear party strategists now: “for goodness sakes there is not enough time, we gotta get the sexy dancers out on stage to wind up our hordes of underfed, sex-starved, pubescent, supporters-for-hire in this campaign rally, so they wave our flags in front of the TV cameras and the nation sees that we are popular.”

Perhaps it is because there is still so much trepidation about offending powerful, ruthless, violent generals who still rule the roost here, and who can, with virtual impunity, inflict serious pain, death or “disappearance” upon those that criticize or simply question their manifold transgressions. The generation that grew up under the wicked 32-year reign of the tyrannical, US-supported former president Soeharto have been severely traumatized, and it has been drilled into their collective psyche that there WILL be very grave consequences for questioning things.

So we end up with a wheelchair-bound “moderate terrorist” as a hero, and Indonesians continue to verbally attack Israel/America and express deep solidarity for the Palestinians, all of whom are very far away and thus, no consequences will be had for such strong condemnation. But who will listen, if Indonesians refuse to express similar judgments when the same thing is happening in their own house?

All dangerous questions perhaps, but if nobody asks, they surely will never be answered.

#33352 - 25 Jun 06 09:20 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Religion = hypocrisy.

1) Jews objecting to terrorism (they started the bombing of hotels with the “King David” and murdering hostages)

http://www.etzel.org.il/english/ac10.htm

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Palestine/Syrian-Orphanage.html

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Palestine/kidnap.htm

Take the effort to read the above. The Jews have as much blood on their hands as Bin Laden….

2) Catholics objecting to anything and everything:

http://members.tripod.com/monsterwax/inquisition.html

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_mccabe/religious_controversy/chapter_23.html

Read how they try to excuse the inquisitions!

http://www.catholic.com/library/Inquisition.asp

3) Islam excesses are well known and current.

4) Protestants – well we are no better.

Tell religion to FUCK OFF.

#33353 - 25 Jun 06 12:15 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Yes, good stuff PB, I'm in agreement with you on the above religion/terror stuff, BUT the point of my article is that Indonesians support the Palestinians more than they do the Acehnese? The similarities of their plights are striking (palestine=oppressed by Jews AND Aceh=oppressed by Java), yet one is the proverbial million miles away and the other is in the Indonesians' own backyard.

#33354 - 25 Jun 06 12:39 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Dont forget Irian Jaya, Indonesia's hidden conflict zone!

#33355 - 25 Jun 06 12:53 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I agree Dilligaf, West Papua is also a serious problem that the average Indonesian does not care about, but the striking paralells with Aceh and Palestine - particularly on religion - is just so darned ironic.

Papuans are not Muslims, so it's much easier to understand why Javanese muslims would never support them or their cause.

Irian Jaya was the name given to them after being conquered by Java in the 1960s and the Papuans vehemently object to it. I.R.I.A.N. is actually an acronym, "Ikut Republik Indonesia Anti Netherlands", which means: "Follow the Republic of Indonesia, Oppose the Netherlands"

A fantastic book was written about 15 years ago by Robin Osborne, entitled "Indonesia's Secret War" which details the whole West Papua mess from the 1930s up to the 1969 "Act of Free Choice" and beyond.

#33356 - 25 Jun 06 13:48 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by riccardo:
I.R.I.A.N. is actually an acronym, "Ikut Republik Indonesia Anti Netherlands", which means: "Follow the Republic of Indonesia, Oppose the Netherlands"
just one semantic/pedantic point: "Ikut Republik Indonesia Anti Netherlands" is much better translated as "Join with the Republic of Indonesia Against the Netherlands". The translation you gave is common in academic writing, but is in fact wrong.

#33357 - 25 Jun 06 14:02 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Ok, Mr. K, I grant you that, your command of Bahasa Indonesia is far better than mine, but "join with" does sound a little too much like 'Indo-lish' for my liking. And has a bit more of a frivolous connotation, like "join us, we're going to the park to play frisbee.." Other possibilities could be unite, link up, or....

Ah, pedantry makes the world go 'round.

#33358 - 25 Jun 06 15:33 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Pooh Bah

[pedantry]

ikut is often translated too literally into english by both indonesians and non-indonesians to mean "follow", whereas its english definition should look at the context. "unite with" (bergabung sama) would not be an accurate translation; "join with" would be the closest appropriate translation without getting too far from the sense of the word ikut.

you yourself -- as a very experienced editor of indonesian english -- would often come across instances when indonesians use a phrase like, for example, "budi followed sari to the mall" (budi ikut sama sari ke mal), whereas the correct translation would be "budi went with sari to the mall".

[/pedantry]

#33359 - 25 Jun 06 15:46 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Ok enough of that pedantry and back to the topic, so MR. K, why do you think our Indonesian brethren have no time for the Aceh issue, but get so hot and bothered over Palestine when they are almost identical situations, but one is too damned far away to even be meaningful to anyone here?? There is an easy answer and a more complex one, I believe.

#33360 - 25 Jun 06 16:04 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Pooh Bah

i think that's rather easy to answer: palestine and the palestinians are political commodities used by certain elites of islamic persuasion all over the world to focus anger against secular Western culture that is a major threat to contemporary islam. the secularisation of islam threatens elites who use islam as a vehicle for power, whether that be high level political elites, or landlords in villages.

aceh simply does not figure in this war between the West and islamic civilisation.

further to this, in the specifically indonesian context, islam has frequently been mixed with nationalism to the extent that many indonesian santri consider an attack on the nationalist concept of NKRI (indonesian unitary state) to be an attack upon islam. this is what decades of mind-numbing oppression and mis-education produces.

#33361 - 25 Jun 06 21:02 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sadly, I think you are right. Palestine has become a rallying "cause" for extremists who don’t give a shit about the Palestinians.

Proof is shown in the desire to provide weapons but reluctance to provide aid. the "hated West" still keeps Palestine afloat in aid. The oil rich Arabs sit on their money chests...

Chances are if Palestine had remained a unified country it would have been invaded by its neighbours decades ago.

#33362 - 26 Jun 06 12:29 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Quote:

Whatever happened to heroes like Nelson Mandela, Che Guevara, John Kennedy, even David Beckham or Tiger Woods for goodness sakes?

Asides from Mandela, you have some very different "heroes" than from what I would have listed.......
The guy's that spent two weeks down a mine shaft talking to those two trapped miners would go ahead of people Like Beckham and Woods.

he·roes
In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine.

Peter Kay

#33363 - 26 Jun 06 12:40 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

""you have some very different "heroes"""

That was precisely the point: ANYBODY, even a frivolous one like Beckham, is a better choice than someone who indoctrinates and orders teenage girls to blow themselves up and murder whole families indiscriminately.

#33364 - 26 Jun 06 12:42 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
""you have some very different "heroes"""

That was precisely the point: ANYBODY, even a frivolous one like Beckham, is a better choice than someone who indoctrinates and orders teenage girls to blow themselves up and murder whole families indiscriminately.
I was more pointing out the fact that Beckham is more a media icon, than hero, according to my definition of hero.

Peter Kay

#33365 - 27 Jun 06 09:45 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

One man’s hero is anothers asshole.

#33366 - 27 Jun 06 10:03 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Magpie Offline
Member**

Beckham - child's hero
man that gives his life for another - adults hero

Peter Kay

#33367 - 05 Jul 06 10:34 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
i think that's rather easy to answer: palestine and the palestinians are political commodities used by certain elites of islamic persuasion all over the world to focus anger against secular Western culture that is a major threat to contemporary islam. the secularisation of islam threatens elites who use islam as a vehicle for power, whether that be high level political elites, or landlords in villages.

aceh simply does not figure in this war between the West and islamic civilisation.

further to this, in the specifically indonesian context, islam has frequently been mixed with nationalism to the extent that many indonesian santri consider an attack on the nationalist concept of NKRI (indonesian unitary state) to be an attack upon islam. this is what decades of mind-numbing oppression and mis-education produces.
Yes Kuku, you're right....

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#33368 - 05 Jul 06 14:21 Re: HYPOCRISY BY INDONESIAN MUSLIMS
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
It's seem they will never end, what if Palestine and Israel never exist? Guess must be some other same stories...

Moderator:  NetCop