Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33321 - 24 Jun 06 18:26 HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
FEAR AND LOATHING IN, A TRIBUTE TO HUNTER S. THOMPSON

The Good Doctor would have loved Jakarta with his Wild Turkey WHISKEY in his vest pocket, his samurai sword swinging precariously from a belt loop and his Ping 9-iron in hand ready for any kind of trouble. He would get wake up calls from his Hotel at 11:00 ….. p.m. He would rage all night on Jalan Palatehan in Blok M, would absolutely go berserk at Stadium until dawn, when he would hook up with some wanna-be-suave TNI general and a couple of expats to ride Harleys down to the golf course and introduce this motley crew to the game he and comedian Bill Murray created --- Shotgun Golf – a cross between skeet shooting and golf, he’d then head over to Jalan Jaksa for a curry breakfast with the most intoxicatingly intelligent group of ne’er-do-wells the world has ever seen. The staff at his hotel would be mortified at this crazy Bule, waking up at 11 pm and coming back at 4pm ordering two more bottles of Wild Turkey from room service. He always had a wild love affair with the Wild West and little did he know, it IS alive and well right here, right now -- in Jakarta. He was Wildly in love with gambling and toting guns, he would have shot a load in Kota, especially with the semi-illegal, semi-clandestine nature of it all tucked away through some dark passage into VIP rooms above outlandish Karaoke lounges. He and Rudi-the-Bookie would quickly become best pals betting on everything from what minute Ghana's Football Team would get their first yellow card to Tiger Woods’ first bogey of the day to Taufik’s next meltdown. He would absolutely insist upon meeting and hanging out with Taufik, not because he is the reigning Olympic Badminton Champ, but because they are kindred spirits – geniuses at their specialty both living in a world that is in denial by thinking that civility is the norm, excesses are sinful and breaking racquets over spectators’ heads is "a really bad thing".

Many people who only know of him by his books like “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”, may not realize that Thompson was a fanatic sports nut, he played American football for the University of Kentucky (his home state), and his first writing gig was as a sports editor. He gambled on sports like a fiend and never tired of commenting on and betting on his beloved Indianapolis Colts (NFL Football Team). He hung out with Bill Murray, Sean Penn, Warren Zevon and whoever else could keep pace with his non-stop partying and craziness.

Here are some of my favorite little vignettes of his:

"One of my most vivid memories of South America is that of a man with a golf club -- a five-iron, if memory serves -- driving golf balls off a penthouse terrace in Cali, Colombia. He was a tall Britisher, and had what the British call a 'stylish pot' instead of a waistline. Beside him on the patio was a long gin-and-tonic, which he had refilled from time-to-time at the nearby bar. He had a good swing, and each of his shots carried low and long out over the city. Where they fell, neither he nor I nor anyone else on the terrace that day had the vaguest idea. The penthouse, however, was in a residential section of the Rio Cali, which runs through the middle of town. Somewhere below us, in the narrow streets that are lined by white adobe blockhouses of urban peasantry, a strange hail was rattling on the roofs -- golf balls, 'old practice duds,' so the Britisher told me, that were 'hardly worth driving away.'"

“Warren Zevon is a poet. He has written more classics than any other musician of our time, with the possible exception of Bob Dylan. ... He is also a crack shot with a .44 magnum and an expert on lacrosse -- which we also watched while we worked. He went wild when Princeton beat Syracuse for the NCAA Championship. …. Warren is a profoundly mysterious man, and I have learned not to argue with him, about hockey or anything else. He is a dangerous drinker, and a whole different person when he's afraid.”

“OK. That horrible farce is Over now (The 2000 U.S. presidential election). Everybody can Relax and get back to sports ... unless you happen to live in Tennessee. Because when Al Gore says he "will spend some time in Tennessee, mending fences" ... well, ho ho. I would feel very nervous if I lived down the road from the Ol' Gore place in Carthage right now.”
“Betting against the Lakers in the NBA playoffs has never been a sound investment for gamblers -- especially not in a lazy year like this one, with the Lakers being the defending NBA champions & favored to win again, despite a lackluster season & more internal bitching & squabbling and crazed jealous treachery than a tribe of Hyenas in heat…
It might be worth noting here that Hyenas are the only beasts in nature that are born physically bisexual & remain that way all their lives. They also are cannibals that routinely eat their young & everything else that looks helpless. People who know Hyenas describe them as "the filthiest animal in nature -- with the possible exception of English cows & corrupt big-city police officers in 21st century America."

“February is always a bad month for TV sports. Football is gone, basketball is plodding along in the annual midseason doldrums and baseball is not even mentioned. It is a good time for building fires, reading books, watching movies and cranking up random sex with the neighbors.”

I once wrote a letter to him, literally begging him to come to Jakarta, knowing it would be nirvana for him --- which brings me to my point. Has any independent source seen his body? Could it be that he, like Jim Morrison before him, faked his death and hopped a plane to Sukarno-Hatta?

#33322 - 24 Jun 06 21:04 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
From Wiki, Hunter was disposed of as he wished.

Read the news at the time, however, in death, he performed as he did in life!

Funeral
On August 20, 2005, in a private ceremony, Thompson's ashes were fired from a cannon atop a 153-foot tower of his own design (in the shape of a double-thumbed fist clutching a peyote button) to the tune of Bob Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man, known to be the song most respected by the late writer. Red, white, blue and green fireworks were launched along with his ashes. As the city of Aspen would not allow the cannon to remain for more than a month, the cannon has been dismantled and put into storage until a suitable permanent location can be found. There is talk of a public party sometime in the summer of 2006. According to widow Anita Thompson, the actor Johnny Depp, a close friend of Thompson (and who portrayed Thompson in the movie adaptation of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), financed the funeral. Depp told the Associated Press, "All I'm doing is trying to make sure his last wish comes true. I just want to send my pal out the way he wants to go out."

#33323 - 24 Jun 06 21:07 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yes, but how do you know that he didn't fake his own death?? you know, like elvis did.

#33324 - 24 Jun 06 21:15 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

You mean that was really Elvis in Amigos last week?

#33325 - 24 Jun 06 21:30 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Did anyone do a DNA test on those ashes? Is there any evidence of a body? It was perfect, they've all swallowed it lock, stock and barrel..

And anyway, I'm not supposed to be revealing this, but, I had some tequila with him a few nights ago at Romance on Jalan Jaksa. He is there once or twice a week. He lives in a suite at the Ritz-Carlton and does his own thing, usually those things that I mentioned above.

If you ever run into Taufik Hidayat, the top Indonesia badminton star, ask him about Mistah Huntah. He'll confirm everything, and might tell you even better stories.

#33326 - 24 Jun 06 23:36 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Elvis has officially left the building!

#33327 - 25 Jun 06 08:26 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Anyone who writes for rolling Stone is a wanker. that whole scene is so far up its own ass it looks at the world through its teeth.

Has ANYTHING sensible ever been printed in its pages?

#33328 - 25 Jun 06 08:36 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

The Kraken wakes! Morning PB, how debauched was your evening!

#33329 - 25 Jun 06 08:48 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I went to a wedding yesterday. Christine was an ex GF, a beautiful Chinese girl. She married an Irish Lawyer. Both bridesmaids were ex girlfriends. I cried as I saw them walk down the isle. But I don’t know why….

I ended up punching some Irish asshole at the bar. He was bitching to me about how all of Irelands problems were caused by England. They have no natural resources only cold and rain. They have the highest rate of alcoholism in Europe, and no work ethic. Their ide of getting on in life is to migrate to a country with a better welfare system. And England pulled out in 1922 – EIGHTY FUCKING FOUR years ago. But at the bar, its still my fault.

I am thinking of returning to full time army service. They tell me I am guaranteed Iraq and Afghanistan if I go full time for 3 years.

Maybe that is my answer. I don’t want to get married, but I am jealous of those who find happiness in it. I am sick of having to provide rational answers to idiots. I can do better with a weapon in my hand. Maybe I am just tipping over the edge.

#33330 - 25 Jun 06 08:57 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Polar Bear:
I am thinking of returning to full time army service. They tell me I am guaranteed Iraq and Afghanistan if I go full time for 3 years.

Maybe that is my answer. I don’t want to get married, but I am jealous of those who find happiness in it. I am sick of having to provide rational answers to idiots. I can do better with a weapon in my hand. Maybe I am just tipping over the edge.
you're developing a gonzoesque death wish smile i wonder if hunter s. was a scorpio too??

#33331 - 25 Jun 06 09:09 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Pooh Bah

nah, just checked. Hunter S. is a cancer. but this is what he had to say about a well-known scorpio:
Quote:

After Nixon's death in 1994, Thompson famously described him in Rolling Stone as a man who "could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time" and said "his casket [should] have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. [He] was an evil man--evil in a way that only those who believe in the physical reality of the Devil can understand it."
he gives a distinct impression that he doesn't like nixon.

#33332 - 25 Jun 06 09:30 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

No I just want to be able to do my bit in sending assholes to hell for pissing me off.

#33333 - 25 Jun 06 12:37 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

From Wiki, his first article in Rolling Stone was about this:
-------------
"In 1970, he ran for sheriff of Pitkin County, Colorado on the "Freak Power" ticket. Thompson narrowly lost the election, having run on a platform promoting drug decriminalization (but for use only, not trafficking, as he disapproved of profiteering), tearing up the streets and turning them into grassy pedestrian malls, banning any building so tall as to obscure the view of the mountains, and renaming Aspen, Colorado to "Fat City". The incumbent Republican sheriff whom he ran against had a crew cut, prompting Thompson to shave his head bald and refer to his opposition as "my long-haired opponent.""
----------------

Gotta love that last bit, and in context of 1970 America, someone with "long hair" was evil incarnate to conservatives like those crew-cut county sheriffs.

#33334 - 26 Jun 06 18:40 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Clift N. Anthony Offline
Member+

Loc: Mama Roma's
HEY RICCARDO, WHAT IS THAT CRAP? SMELLS LIKE SOMETHING MY DOG WOULD PUKE UP!!

#33335 - 26 Jun 06 21:31 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sorry Clunt, that was me. I had curry for dinner and cant stop farting.

#33336 - 26 Jun 06 22:56 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
branmac Offline
Member+

Loc: Australia
Clunt doesn't have too many good words for anyone. Where did he come from?

#33337 - 26 Jun 06 23:09 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I heard he graduated from charm school, and is treaching "how to win friends and influence people".

meantime he is moonlighting in some cabaret.

#33338 - 27 Jun 06 02:47 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Clift N. Anthony Offline
Member+

Loc: Mama Roma's
Quote:
Originally posted by branmac:
I got lots a good words! good good food mood dude rude lood. And I come from darwin park neighborhood in Brooklyn. and my name is spellt C-l-i-f-t N.

#33339 - 27 Jun 06 07:44 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by branmac:
Straight from the back of somebody else's comedy. Was wondering if this was a frequent poster taking the piss. You want to get this joke? watch "The Man in the Moon", about Andy Kauffman's life (apologies for any spelling mistakes), it was funny in the film, but seems to have lost it's charm here. :rolleyes:

Peter Kay

#33340 - 27 Jun 06 08:20 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Was he a mate of Hunter S Thompson? Sounds like a couple of pisspots together.

#33341 - 27 Jun 06 08:33 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Seems like the invasion from EP again. Same time frame for posting!

#33342 - 27 Jun 06 08:47 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ahhh Welcome to McOildude. May your kilt flutter for a thousand years and all your fleas be black plague free.

Yes, I thought the same thing. But at least it is an attempt at humour. Some wild alter ego in an afro, stuck in jiveland in 74.

Such things make life interesting.

Perhaps, like the masons, we should have initiation rites. Only instead of rolling up a trouser leg and meeting a small prick, we could do something else……

#33343 - 27 Jun 06 08:51 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Lodge JakChat

In the chair : Grand Master KuKu

In the Bed: Lulu lushy Lips

In the shit: PB

Scene one: A wild Island full of nymphomaniacs and palm trees.

#33344 - 27 Jun 06 12:32 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Mr K. and I have talked about it and he decided to "tolerate" this Clift, unless he gets really abusive. And he does seem to have a thing for that Kaufman/Clifton thing... which was pretty funny at the time. That actually would've been worth the price of admission to get Kaufman/Clifton together in a room together with Hunter S. Thompson and several bottles of hard liquor.

#33345 - 27 Jun 06 13:19 Re: HUNTER S. THOMPSON DOES JAKARTA!!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

at least he was "in character"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop