KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Memories Café
Jalan Jaksa No. 17
Phone: 021-3162548
Fax: 021-3928839
Hours: 08am-02am

Next door to the Margot Cafe is arguably the most popular cafe/bar in the street -- Memories -- at the moment in terms of numbers of people, and general activity, with a live band most nights, a few local girls looking for tourists to "befriend", and good prices for beer and a limited food menu.

They have Bintang and Carlsberg big bottles for less than Rp 20,000.

It is also home to the so-called "wailing wall" where a group of long-time foreign residents, including core wailers Brian, Simon, John T., Steve "Sunderland" and several others congregate. They get together a few times a week to discuss English football, Indonesian living, international politics and any other subject that comes to mind.

They are all very well educated, have good jobs, and have lived in Jakarta for several years. A few have married here and have children. They can also be found over at BFC if Memories is too raucous, or too many inebriated, naive, backpackers start dancing to Lydia's fourth rendition of "I will survive" on the night.

Inside Memories, next to the bar, is a small book kiosk that sells and re-sells and buys back used books. There are lots of good titles to be had as backpackers lighten their load by trading in their once-read, mostly English-language, books they've brought with them from Australia, North America or Europe. If you buy a paperback for Rp. 30,000, for instance, they will buy it back for Rp. 15,000 when you are done reading it.

#92274 - 20 Dec 08 12:28 Re: Memories Café [Re: KuKuKaChu]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Loc: Tegal
What's with these fuckers sending random girls after me and claiming I didn't pay my bill? Second time it has happened now. I distinctly remember paying for four beers, two for myself and two for the chap I was drinking with, but they still sent an envoy to Papa's, where I was having a nightcap, to inform me I owed them for four more. Fuck off, fuckers.

#92275 - 20 Dec 08 12:58 Re: Memories Café [Re: JHVH1]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Loc: Bogor
Quoting: JHVH1
What's with these fuckers sending random girls after me and claiming I didn't pay my bill? Second time it has happened now. I distinctly remember paying for four beers, two for myself and two for the chap I was drinking with, but they still sent an envoy to Papa's, where I was having a nightcap, to inform me I owed them for four more. Fuck off, fuckers.

that's the memories friday night special. Buy 1 Pay 2.
Very generous of you also to treat the bloke you were drinking with

#92276 - 20 Dec 08 13:04 Re: Memories Café [Re: witty handle]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

He treated me at the warung across the road. Had to bail quick so didn't have the time to split hairs over four bucks.

#92281 - 20 Dec 08 13:46 Re: Memories Café [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
It is also home to the so-called "wailing wall" where a group of long-time foreign residents, including core wailers Brian, Simon, John T., Steve "Sunderland" and several others congregate. They get together a few times a week to discuss English football, Indonesian living, international politics and any other subject that comes to mind.

They are all very well educated, have good jobs, and have lived in Jakarta for several years. A few have married here and have children. They can also be found over at BFC if Memories is too raucous, or too many inebriated, naive, backpackers start dancing to Lydia's fourth rendition of "I will survive" on the night.

Did you write this Kuku? Or Riccardo?

#92283 - 20 Dec 08 14:43 Re: Memories Café [Re: kenyeung]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
riccardo. reposted from the jalanjaksa.com site.

#92284 - 20 Dec 08 15:05 Re: Memories Café [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Those not intimately acquainted with the place might read his review and presume that the term 'wailing' refers to lamentations from the expatriate drinkers. Not so. The 'wailing' actually refers to the often eardrum-shatteringly high volume of the caterwauling singers and rabble. The 'wailing wall' is simply a place of congregation, located farthest from the "life" music to enable conversation without shouting.

The delicately snide derision of "they are all very well educated, have good jobs" is vintage Riccardo.

#92285 - 20 Dec 08 16:22 Re: Memories Café [Re: kenyeung]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Quoting: kenyeung
Those not intimately acquainted with the place might read his review and presume that the term 'wailing' refers to lamentations from the expatriate drinkers. Not so. The 'wailing' actually refers to the often eardrum-shatteringly high volume of the caterwauling singers and rabble. The 'wailing wall' is simply a place of congregation, located farthest from the "life" music to enable conversation without shouting.

The delicately snide derision of "they are all very well educated, have good jobs" is vintage Riccardo.

oh that it is..

"some have married"..(well, one) but he fails to mention that his wife is a pribumi and a muslim to boot..

#92290 - 20 Dec 08 19:23 Re: Memories Café [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Titanic Offline
Member+

Loc: -
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

..... If you buy a paperback for Rp. 30,000, for instance, they will buy it back for Rp. 15,000 when you are done reading it.

buying a paperback for Rp. 30,000 for instance and then they will buy it back for Rp. 15,000 when done reading it?

It sounds like an open library..

#92314 - 22 Dec 08 13:39 Re: Memories Café [Re: Titanic]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Has anyone ever purchased a book worth reading from Jaksa? Bloody backpackers need to mix up their reading materials.

#92317 - 22 Dec 08 13:52 Re: Memories Café [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
It's possible to find a few good ones in between the Swedish translations of Sidney Sheldon sometimes. Then take your tome and sit at the wailing wall for a nice read accompanied by the honeyed larynx of the lovely Lydia.

#92319 - 22 Dec 08 14:02 Re: Memories Café [Re: Roy's Hair]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Quoting: Piss Salon
Has anyone ever purchased a book worth reading from Jaksa? Bloody backpackers need to mix up their reading materials.

i bought Inversions by Iain M.Banks from the bookstore on the corner next to the travel agent and thoroughly enjoyed it

Quoting: Roy's Hair
It's possible to find a few good ones in between the Swedish translations of Sidney Sheldon sometimes. Then take your tome and sit at the wailing wall for a nice read accompanied by the honeyed larynx of the lovely Lydia.

Lydia is long gone..Rumour has it she resides on Christmas island with her aussie beau. Kenneth Cedric would probably know more..

#92321 - 22 Dec 08 14:04 Re: Memories Café [Re: Piss Salon]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon

Dozens, the better ones including The Kenneth Williams Letters, Tintin in the New World, Ecstasy, Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Ellmann's Wilde bio, Zola's Nana and a few by Bill Bryson, Martin Amis and P.G. Wodehouse. Though none over the past 5 years.

Some of the best titles and bargains were to be had during the T. Rex book and movie clearance sale, early mornings at Papa Cafe, where he would set up stall on a table before going to work. A good book could be had for the price of a Bintang. Two Years on the Yangtze and the box-set of Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples cost 3 Bintangs. Curiously, someone borrowed Two Years on the Yangtze and later tried to sell it back to me for Rp70,000 in the cramped members' section of D's Place one night.

#92322 - 22 Dec 08 14:07 Re: Memories Café [Re: kenyeung]
witty handle Offline
Member*

the bearded old goat trying to pull another fast one eh?? he had another good scheme last night

#92323 - 22 Dec 08 14:09 Re: Memories Café [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Would that have been DJ DJ by any chance?

#92324 - 22 Dec 08 14:41 Re: Memories Café [Re: Roy's Hair]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta

#92325 - 22 Dec 08 14:47 Re: Memories Café [Re: Vulgarian]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

"You just want to go to Marmz's quiz don't ya ya buggers? Well I'm not standing here talking to myself all evening if nobody wants to listen"

#92326 - 22 Dec 08 14:50 Re: Memories Café [Re: witty handle]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: witty handle
Lydia is long gone..Rumour has it she resides on Christmas island with her aussie beau. Kenneth Cedric would probably know more..

And they lived happily ever after.

#92327 - 22 Dec 08 14:55 Re: Memories Café [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung
Quoting: witty handle

And they lived happily ever after.

..and danced every night by the light of many burning books and CDs.

#92328 - 22 Dec 08 14:56 Re: Memories Café [Re: Roy's Hair]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Roy's Hair
Would that have been DJ DJ by any chance?

No. It was Jasper McSpaniel.

#92330 - 22 Dec 08 15:25 Re: Memories Café [Re: kenyeung]
witty handle Offline
Member*

lydia was never a book burner...she was a doyenne of the arts

#92486 - 26 Dec 08 17:20 Re: Memories Café [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Cuckoo Offline
Member++

Loc: fairyland
Awww.. I miss Margot and Memories! (though since i'm a snob i'd prefer Margaux and Dutch cafe, Memory) :P

#92494 - 26 Dec 08 18:43 Re: Memories Café [Re: Cuckoo]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jak
The whole street should be razed and burned with fire.

#92970 - 06 Jan 09 10:10 Re: Memories Café [Re: Marmalade]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

I've resolved to pay for mah birs individually there now. Helps the mathematically challenged staff if they don't have to chase me up the street demanding I pay extra.

#92973 - 06 Jan 09 10:40 Re: Memories Café [Re: JHVH1]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Just line the empties up in front of you during the course of the night/day and distinguish yours by putting the label on sideways or tearing it. When the time comes to get your bill, if their tally is higher than yours, politely point out the number of empty bottles in front of you. And always tip well. Never a problem - except for when feuding silveries spill out from Alis into Memories and pick up bottles to use as projectiles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop