Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105296 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
alternative facts
The worst of the four classifications of lies: lies, damned lies, statistics, alternative facts. Alternative facts are distinguished from the other damnable lies by the addition of gaslighting the listener.
After backing up her false statements with alternative facts, Kellyanne Conway threatened the "dishonest" media for suggesting that she might be lying.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32793 - 14 Jun 06 22:14 African Speakeasy
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
‘The African Speakeasy’
Jalan Jaksa No. 39
Phone: don’t think so
Hours: night

Hidden away behind an iron fence alongside Papa’s Café is a place not many people know about. We call it the ‘African Speakeasy’, but it actually doesn’t have a name at all!

There is a significant African community in Jakarta, mainly textile traders and soccer players. However, unfortunately, there are also a number involved in underworld activities, and the papers always seem to carry stories of Nigerians being arrested for drug trafficking. To a great extent, this community is ostracized and feared by Jakartans, and hotels and hostels are very reluctant to accept them. They also have a hard time getting taxis, thus many have been forced to purchase their own private vehicles.

So that’s no doubt the reason the ‘African Speakeasy’ was formed. The original ‘African Speakeasy’ was situated in Tanah Abang, which is a very large center for textile traders, but then they moved to Jalan Jaksa where they came together with their nice cars and spend night to till morning there.

Actually, the place doesn’t look too special, if you are game enough to go inside. basically, it’s just a vacant lot with a bit of garbage strewn around, and a chicken coop. However, at night, the chicken coop magically turns into a jumping, happening place for Jakarta’s African community.

Based on information from sources who wish to remain anonymous, the ‘African Speakeasy’ is a place to party. Any kind of party. And while most of the patrons are black Africans, a few brave locals also venture inside.

One of the patrons says: “I like this place because of its natural view; we can look at the moon and stars at night”.

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#80055 - 19 Jun 08 19:16 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

carrefours is creeping stealthily into jaksa ...

the place where the african speakeasy used to be (north side of papas) has been blockaded in with a very well built, 2 meter high concrete wall. the plot on land on the south side of papas, that used to have the pecal lele warung, has been given the same treatment ...

it's only a matter of time ...

#80059 - 19 Jun 08 19:39 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
‘The African Speakeasy’
Jalan Jaksa No. 39
Phone: don’t think so
Hours: night

Hidden away behind an iron fence alongside Papa’s Café is a place not many people know about. We call it the ‘African Speakeasy’, but it actually doesn’t have a name at all!

There is a significant African community in Jakarta, mainly textile traders and soccer players. However, unfortunately, there are also a number involved in underworld activities, and the papers always seem to carry stories of Nigerians being arrested for drug trafficking. To a great extent, this community is ostracized and feared by Jakartans, and hotels and hostels are very reluctant to accept them. They also have a hard time getting taxis, thus many have been forced to purchase their own private vehicles.

So that’s no doubt the reason the ‘African Speakeasy’ was formed. The original ‘African Speakeasy’ was situated in Tanah Abang, which is a very large center for textile traders, but then they moved to Jalan Jaksa where they came together with their nice cars and spend night to till morning there.

Actually, the place doesn’t look too special, if you are game enough to go inside. basically, it’s just a vacant lot with a bit of garbage strewn around, and a chicken coop. However, at night, the chicken coop magically turns into a jumping, happening place for Jakarta’s African community.

Based on information from sources who wish to remain anonymous, the ‘African Speakeasy’ is a place to party. Any kind of party. And while most of the patrons are black Africans, a few brave locals also venture inside.

One of the patrons says: “I like this place because of its natural view; we can look at the moon and stars at night”.

Master of stating the obvious - one assumes that with no roof then only clement conditions are needed to satisfy one's dream.

Give those buggers a bail of brightly coloured cloth and they'd party all night in a Delhi sewer.

I'm not sure how your average gangster stands on silveries, but for the most part they are nothing but trouble - particularly nigerian silveries.
It's to be hoped that an unfortunate accident doesn't see the place flattened with a D8 during a night of festivities- that would be truly terrible.

#80064 - 19 Jun 08 21:05 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: kenyeung
what about the warung between papas and the speakeasy?

gone.

#80077 - 20 Jun 08 02:37 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Loc: Bogor
bullnonsense..still there just, in front of the wall, squashed onto the pavement, still the same ibu

#80080 - 20 Jun 08 06:28 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: witty handle]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: witty handle
still the same ibu

She symbolizes all that is good in Indonesia.

#80082 - 20 Jun 08 07:55 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

yes, what i meant was that her cosy little spot inside the wall was gone ... now that she is outside, she is vulnerable to periodic "sweeping" by officials from DKI and the kelurahan.

the good pecel lele warung has also moved onto the pavement, to some people's annoyance ... much reduced in size, and probably now only marginally viable. which is a pity, because it was a nice little business.

#80083 - 20 Jun 08 08:16 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
It's a rum do.

#80084 - 20 Jun 08 08:18 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

It's a rum do.

it is. it just aint right.

#80126 - 20 Jun 08 16:36 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: kenyeung]
witty handle Offline
Member*

It's a rum do.

rummer dos have been known

#80386 - 25 Jun 08 20:45 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: witty handle]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I went in once. Not much room. And a lot of very bloodshot eyes perched atop very muscled bodies. Gave me the horn. Got the HIV to prove it.

#80403 - 25 Jun 08 21:44 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
There should be a Scottish Speak Easy for the likes of Jimmy Duncan. Threaten Easy? Nut Easy?

#80416 - 26 Jun 08 10:53 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: Roy's Hair]
witty handle Offline
Member*

Razoreazy

#80418 - 26 Jun 08 11:14 Re: African Speakeasy [Re: witty handle]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Loc: Somebody's watching me......
African Speakeasy..............and here I thought with that thread title the Capt. was inviting all to his new bar..........

The only Faith that people really have to lose, is faith in themselves...........

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website