Bapepam opposes planned restrictions on foreign investments

Bandung, West Java (Antara News) - The Capital Market Supervisory Board (Bapepam) opposes the proposed restriction on the inflow of foreign investments to avoid hedge funds that may cause bigger problems, its chairman A. Fuad said.

"We have long applied open capital account. "If the policy is applied we will see a setback," he said in a workshop here on Saturday.

"We`d better make regulations capable of withholding foreign funds for a long time," he said.

He also said the percentage of foreign capital market transactions in Indonesia showed an upward trend.

However, he added, that the capital market`s contribution to the economic growth was still small, reaching 29 to 30 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP), while the remaining 70 percent was dominated by the banking sector.

"In developed states the capital market`s contribution to GDP is 80 percent," he said. (*)
_________________________
Jawawa.net: Indonesian Business and Investment News Aggregator