Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31648 - 06 Oct 06 13:07 Surabayan Mudflow
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Excellent Article in the New York Times today.

Looks like someone did their homework!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/06/world/...artner=homepage

#31649 - 06 Oct 06 13:23 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
doesn't paint a pretty picture.

what's betting that aburizal will get out of this without paying out a cent, and the whole disaster put down to "natural causes".

#31650 - 06 Oct 06 13:50 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think the guy pretty well stuck his neck out with some of the things he has reported on!

#31651 - 06 Oct 06 13:51 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

But then again, looks like he got some good technical help!

#31652 - 06 Oct 06 21:02 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Hey, it's "Sidoarjoan mudflow", not "Surabayan Mudflow", there's a world of difference you know.

#31653 - 06 Oct 06 22:28 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Pooh Bah

picky, picky, picky wink

#31654 - 07 Oct 06 09:44 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

OK, Patung is technically correct, however, since Surabaya is the nearest city I used the geographical location to make it simpler for those who did not know where Sidoarjo was.

Funnily enough, I know exactly where it is...had to do a lot of research so I could assist with the technical details on this story.

#31655 - 07 Oct 06 09:47 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Pooh Bah

well, seeing as you're an oily type d00d, what's the solution to this mess?

#31656 - 07 Oct 06 09:54 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

May be too late! The drilling of a relief well may help.

This type of operation is where "if" they can drill into and intercept the well bore above the zone where the mud is flowing from there is a chance that they can pump enough drilling fluid to kill the flow.

Given the current volume flowing, it looks like that may be a difficult task.

After this operation, if it is succesful, there is a chance that the well can be brought under control and remedial work performed which will stabilse the flow and secure the well bore.

So there!

#31657 - 07 Oct 06 14:53 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Speaking to someone who had spoken to someone knowledgeable about the situation, the claims I was told involved the falsification of data regarding depths drilled to and other technical things such as materials recorded during the drilling process etc. Further, that not only did they fail to encase the bore hole but as soon as the mud erupted to the side of the drill they pulled the entire drill out. In short, no one knows how deep they drilled, meaning that the chances Ö

I donít fucking know. But it sounded really bad.

Jangkih-mangkih.

#31658 - 07 Oct 06 19:02 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Hi_john Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta
They skipped a casing point so EMP people could get a US$1 Million pay off. Anyone ever done any business with EMP? They are a bunch of mother fucking corrupt bastards. Just like their fucking boss bakrie!

#31659 - 07 Oct 06 19:05 Re: Surabayan Mudflow
Hi_john Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta
Plus the flow could last 5 minutes or 50 years ... there is no way to tell. This cannot be killed with a relief well cause the flow is beneath the last casing point and is from formation fracture ... not through the well!

You work in the oil business DG or just pretending?

#33751 - 08 Oct 06 22:08 Re: Surabayan Mudflow [Re: Hi_john]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

There is a posibility that if the relief wells can penetrate the well bore below the 13-3/8" casing shoe and above the fracture that they could attempt a kill. Bear in mind that the 13-3/8" casing was run to 3,500 ft and that there was a further 5,500 ft of open hole below that.

The 9-5/8" should have been set at 8,500 ft, but LB geologists were thought to have instructed well site supervisor to drill ahead as they had not yet left the shale. TD was to have been in the Carboniferous zone at 9,300 ft, the drilling went on until approx 9,000 ft when they lost circulation and started to POOH.

On the way out they took a kick while the BHA was at about 4,200 ft and thats when things started going "wrong".

The fracture is thought to be at 6,000 ft, but, given the volumes involved that would be required to mount an organised kill this may not be possible. There is still some debate on this issue.

However, as of yesterday, if it were not considered possible why are they still drilling them?

I agree with you on the EMP, Kondur, SEMCO, Brantas issue. I would encourage people to avoid them. Never heard about the pay off on avoiding the casing run.

I have greater details on what went on but, will not post them here to avoid boring everyone. If you want a copy, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop