Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31617 - 30 Sep 06 15:27 Borat barred from White House
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Even better!

By Andy Sullivan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Borat, the fictional TV reporter from Kazakhstan, may have gotten under the skin of Kazakh officials but on Thursday he couldn't get past the gates of the White House.

Secret Service agents turned away British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, in character as the boorish, anti-Semitic journalist, when he tried to invite "Premier George Walter Bush" to a screening of his upcoming movie, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

Also invited to the screening: O.J. Simpson, "Mel Gibsons" and other "American dignitaries."

Cohen's stunt was timed to coincide with an official visit by Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, who is scheduled to meet with Bush on Friday.

Nazarbayev and other Kazakh officials have sought to raise the profile of the oil-rich former Soviet republic and assure the West that, contrary to Borat's claims, theirs is not a nation of drunken anti-Semites who treat their women worse than their donkeys.

Kazakhstan is expected to become one of the top 10 oil producers within a decade. A U.S. ally with troops in Iraq, the country has drawn criticism for its deteriorating civil liberties and flawed elections.

Shortly after Nazarbayev dedicated a statue in front of the Kazakh embassy, Borat denounced an official Kazakh publicity campaign running in U.S. magazines as "disgusting fabrications" orchestrated by neighboring Uzbekistan.

"If there is one more item of Uzbek propaganda claiming that we do not drink fermented horse urine, give death penalty for baking bagels, or export over 300 tonnes of human pubis per year, then we will be left with no alternative but to commence bombardment of their cities with our catapults," Borat said.

Cohen, 35, who is Jewish, recently co-starred in the recent U.S. box office hit "Talladega Nights" and has appeared in TV comedy series "Da Ali G Show" on U.S. cable channel HBO and Britain's Channel 4.

Cohen's "Borat" comedy routine has drawn legal threats from the Kazakh government, which keeps a tight lid on criticism in its news media.

Kazakh press secretary Roman Vasilenko said he was worried that some may take the Borat routine seriously.

"He is not a Kazakh. What he represents is a country of Boratastan, a country of one," Vasilenko told Reuters.

#31618 - 03 Oct 06 14:11 Re: Borat barred from White House
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Fucking hell, read this story and the posting that follows from some bloke in Kazakhstan; it couldn’t have been written better by Cohen himself …

ADL: Concerned over Borat's depiction of anti-Semitism

Sacha Baron Cohen, creator of satirical Ali G character known to many, comes under ADL scrutiny. ADL fears many may not grasp 'farcical' nature of Cohen's anti-Semitic character 'Borat,' claiming it may serve to reinforce bigoted beliefs of some
Ynetnews
Published: 09.30.06, 19:58

Popular entertainer Sacha Baron Cohen, more widely known as Ali G., has entertained audiences with his bombastic, push-the-envelope humor. However, his upcoming film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan based on one of his characters, Borat, has the Anti-defamation League worried. Borat is a parody of an outlandish anti-semite in a series of laughably inappropriate situations.

"The premiere of Sacha Baron Cohen's new film featuring his farcical character 'Borat' has raised anew concerns among some in the Jewish community about the character's notoriously boastful expressions of anti-Semitism and stereotyping of others," wrote the ADL in a press release Thursday.

The ADL worries that not everyone will understand the satirical nature of Cohen's sketch, fearing the humor to be dangerously too sophisticated

for some: "When approaching this film, one has to understand that there is absolutely no intent on the part of the filmmakers to offend, and no malevolence on the part of Sacha Baron Cohen, who is himself proudly Jewish. We hope that everyone who chooses to see the film understands Mr. Cohen's comedic technique, which is to use humor to unmask the absurd and irrational side of anti-Semitism and other phobias born of ignorance and fear.

"We are concerned, however, that one serious pitfall is that the audience may not always be sophisticated enough to get the joke, and that some may even find it reinforcing their bigotry," the press release elaborated.

Kids: Don't try this at home
However, the ADL certainly recognizes Cohen's intent of erasing stereotypes by showing how ridiculous they are on stage, but fears this message may not reach all audiences.

The ADL press report continues, "While Mr. Cohen's brand of humor may be tasteless and even offensive to some, we understand that the intent is to dash stereotypes, not to perpetuate them. It is our hope that everyone in the audience will come away with an understanding that some types of comedy that work well on screen do not necessarily translate well in the real world -- especially when attempted on others through retelling or mimicry."

Suggestion for Cohen
The ADL did level one concrete critique of Cohen's work: "It is unfortunate that Mr. Cohen chose to make jokes at the expense of Kazakhstan. It would have been better to have used a mythological country, rather than focus on a specific nation." A little constructive criticism can go a long way.

Blog posting on this article.

I am kazakh and I don't think it's funny
With all due respect to Mr. Cohen and all of you out there that find his antics funny i am ashamed for you.

I would have thought if anyone would be supportive of respecting anothers culture it would be the sons and daughters of abrahamm

There are some highly revered national shrines in the history of each people. Among those are the places which bore witness to great talents' birth, formation, maturity. Such are Mikhailovskoe and Yasnaya Polyana for the Russians, Weimar for the Germans, Florence for the Italians, Stratford-on-Avon - for the Englishmen, the Dayan of Israel. With the Kazakh such a place of worship is Shyngystau, the birthplace of three geniuses of the Kazakh literature - Abai, Shakarim, Mukhtar Auezov.

The land of Shyngystau, spaciously outstretching over the steppe of Sary-Arka, has given us three men of letters of the world rank, which in itself is so rare a thing in the history of mankind, but not only them.

Prior to those three here lived and worked such notable people as Kengirbai, Oskenbai, Kunanbai, Nisan - biys, orators, sages, akyns, grieving over the people's sufferings and sorrows; batyrs Aktanberdi, Mamai, Toktamysh, who sacrificed their glorious lives for the benefit of their homeland.

You might think we live like goats on the steppes but my people have been part of human history for thousands of years.

There is much too see outside your little country i suggest instead of seeking curried rice in india you try our world reknowned Uyz baked in Sut with helpings of Irimshik, Kurt and Sarysu.....and nothing in basle will hold a candle to our own Zhent, famous Kazakh chocolate

Long Live the Kazakh People and may we see peace in our time
Tarob Nazarbayev , Almaty, Kazakhstan (09.30.06)
tarob@www.kz

#31619 - 03 Oct 06 14:22 Re: Borat barred from White House
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
"dangerously too sophisticated". lot of people say that about me, actually.

#31620 - 03 Oct 06 14:26 Re: Borat barred from White House
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
"fearing the humor to be dangerously too sophisticated" ..... i never knew humor could be dangerously Sophisticated

Cohen is English and the English have always found humor in "taking the piss" This also includes taking the piss out of themselves ... as the article says cohen is more famous for Ali G which takes the piss out of his own country.

Whats next ? Do we ban Irish Jokes?

#31621 - 03 Oct 06 14:29 Re: Borat barred from White House
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

as a side note ... "taking the piss" is an English phrase and is in no way referring to Jokie Girl taking the "piss salon" home hehehehe

(that was just an attempt at dangerously sophisticated humor and NOT to be taken seriously)

#31622 - 03 Oct 06 15:24 Re: Borat barred from White House
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sets a bit of a worrying precedent: ADL criticises film because concerns the majority of audience are stupid.

#31623 - 03 Oct 06 15:29 Re: Borat barred from White House
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by Piss Salon:
Sets a bit of a worrying precedent: ADL criticises film because concerns the majority of audience are stupid.
sadly, they are probably right.

as that well-known maxim states: "never underestimate the stupidity of the amerikan public" wink

#31624 - 03 Oct 06 17:57 Re: Borat barred from White House
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Indeed -- dangerously too sophisticated humor. The joke is on you naive, stereotyping Queen lovers (I mean that in the nicest way so don't get y'allz panties in a bunch).

The joke, old boys, is on you fellas!! Good God man, there is no doubt whatsoever that Cohen or his publicist "planted" those articles, press releases and Kazakh response... hilarious!

It is a perfect example of what I've termed "The reverse piss take", which is what I often do with other Queen's men when they meet me for the first time. It's so easy because almost all Aussies, Brits, Kiwis have this deeply ingrained stereotype that ZERO USanians can possibly grasp their "intellectual humour" or their sports.

nice one. and BTW, I can't wait to see the movie -- should be a riot.

#31625 - 03 Oct 06 19:00 Re: Borat barred from White House
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

"And nothing in basle will hold a candle to our own Zhent, famous Kazakh chocolate."

Rich, have you seen the previous Ali G. movie? Wasn't that funny, unfortunately.

#31626 - 03 Oct 06 19:23 Re: Borat barred from White House
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I don't know if I saw an Ali G. movie, but I did see like a collection of Ali G skits a couple years ago in Singapore.
I was in tears on the floor laughing so hard.

#31627 - 03 Oct 06 22:49 Re: Borat barred from White House
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This may take a while to load if you're on a local system here, but it's well worth the wait. AND it's the real deal, the guys he's interviewing have no idea, and just think he's a real Kazakh loon, (the sixth most powerful man with a sister who is the 3rd ranked prostitute in the country).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2676555096280574562&q=ali+G

#34846 - 21 Oct 06 06:56 Re: Borat barred from White House [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Who needs Borat.

pasted

Don’t “bank” on Kazakh money

Almaty: The Kazakhstan central bank has misspelled the word “bank” on its new notes, officials said on Wednesday.

The bank plans to put the misprinted notes — worth 2,000 tenge ($15) and 5,000-tenge into circulation in November and then gradually withdraw them to correct the spelling.

“The mistake ... is not just a spelling problem — it has political undertones,” letter from members of parliament to President Nursultan Nazarbayev said.

#34853 - 21 Oct 06 08:43 Re: Borat barred from White House [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I have never been in Kazakhstan but have been in Uzbekistan, which is right next door!

Dont go! The "stans" are fucked, which also includes Pakistan, where I have been - right on the Afghan (another Stan) Border!

Mind you, the Uzbeki's have some very nice women. Amnother thing, all women from the "Russian Stans have lots of gold fillings!

#35041 - 28 Oct 06 11:03 Re: Borat barred from White House [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hilarious, particularly the third- and second-last pars.

Pasted

He arrived on a wooden cart drawn by a mule, surrounded by a gaggle of cheap-looking Kazakh ladies of the night.
And he brought laughter - although much more bafflement - to London's Leicester Square.

Unsuspecting office workers paused on their way home last night to watch as Borat attended the premier of his film, Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

Borat, for the uninitiated, is the latest character of Ali G comedian Sacha Baron Cohen.

His persona as a Kazakh TV reporter - depicting his homeland as a nation of misogynists, racists and anti-Semites - has infuriated the country's President.

Last night, it was easy to see why. Baron Cohen hopped off his mule cart and declared: "Good evening gentlemen and prostitutes."

Wearing a bright yellow jacket and jeans, and oversized sunglasses, he grabbed a microphone and invited the crowds to join him after the screening at his hotel in King's Cross, where "We will all drink, wrestle with no clothes on and shoot dogs from the window."

Puzzled onlookers, standing in heavy rain, could be heard asking who on earth was speaking.

Lampooning Kazakhstan, Borat spoke warmly of the progress his home nation had made towards the modern world.

Such strides, he declared, as "women now permitted to travel on inside of bus" and "homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats."

Flanked by two fearsome-looking guards with bayonets, Borat said he would love to meet the Queen, though he stressed: "Not for sexy time."

He also said he was hoping to meet Madonna after reading about her adoption of 13 month old Malawian boy David Banda.

"I have brought here with me my 11-year-old son, his wife and their new-born baby, who I am hoping to sell to singing transvestite Madonna," he said.

And his verdict on English women? "Very nice, but I cannot say for sure because I have not had time to buy any," he remarked, adding: "Here the women have more hair on their heads than our women do on their backs but English women not look strong enough to pull a plough."

As celebrities such as Peaches Geldof, Trinny Woodall and Desperate Housewives star Jesse Metcalfe hurried into the cinema, Borat announced: "Now we will sing Kazakhstan national anthem. All who do not join in will be reported."

And off he went, booming out the song in English - well, there was some English in it - and it was possible to discern something about his nation's prostitutes.

As Borat sang a verse that went something like "Kazakhstan's filtration system a marvel to behold," the crowds were divided into those attempting to sing along with the joke, and those left utterly baffled by what was happening.

One onlooker, Tomsk Alojzy, 23, from Poland, said: "Is this supposed to be Eastern European or English humour? I really don't understand it."

Perhaps Borat still has much to learn from Hollywood stars such as Tom Cruise, famed for spending literally hours chatting to his fans.

High-fives and screeched greetings were the only reward Borat's sodden fans received from Baron Cohen.

Borat has dismayed the Government of Kazakhstan with his claims that the country's national pastimes are "disco dancing, archery, rape and table tennis."

The Central Asian state cannot work out how to respond. Its enraged president has threatened to sue Baron Cohen and has hired two Western PR companies to denounce Borat's jokes.
But other ministers have said many people are in danger of taking the character too seriously.

Tonight, the Kazakh government attempted to give Baron Cohen a taste of his own medicine by sending a real-life Kazakh TV star, Jantik Baimukhamedov, along to report on the premier.

But he succeeded only in confirming the inept stereotype by arriving late and being refused entry.

Maybe London got off lightly. In Toronto, at the film's world premier last month, Baron Cohen arrived in an oxcart pulled by six women ferrying a donkey in the back.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop