Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105292 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Good German
A citizen of Nazi Germany who participated in or overlooked atrocities while denying personal moral responsibility by appeal to his submission to supposedly legitimate authority.
The American CIA agents who relied on the White House legal justification of torture were nothing more than Good Germans.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31607 - 29 Sep 06 21:55 Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
The following is an article written by well-known Indonesian feminist writer Julia Suryakusuma. It was apparently too hot for the local print media to publish, which is probably understandable, given their vulnerabilities ...

Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
By Julia Suryakusuma

When I was doing research in a rubber plantation village in Sukabumi, West Java on gender, sexual and production relationships I discovered that the term used there for young divorcees - and young they really were, in their teens mostly - was nangka busuk (rotten jackfruit). Why? Because it exudes a sweet, pungent smell that attracts ‘flies’ (read, men). The fact that these young women had been married and had tasted of the ‘forbidden fruit’ made them even more desirable than virgins. Desirable that is, for sex.

Jusuf Kalla, our respected VP, may hail from Makassar, South Sulawesi, but he is clearly a man of the world and knows a lot about ‘rotten jackfruit’, judging from the statement attributed to him in The Jakarta Post and Associated Press (both on 29-6-2006) regarding janda (the term used in Indonesia for both divorcees and widows). In fact, I reckon Jusuf Kalla - often referred to as simply JK - must have spent some undocumented part of his past in Citandoh, my research village in Sukabumi, to have become the expert on the luscious desireability of janda that he is today.

It is clear also that JK cares deeply about the future of our ailing country. And being the clever man he is, he put two and two together, inhaled the sweet smell of ‘rotten jackfruit’ and the even sweeter smell of money, and announced our government’s latest exciting economic initiative. The logic of it is overwhelming: as our economy struggles to recover from its long-running economic crisis, we must exploit every asset we have to attract investment. Our mining industry is in a mess and businesses are leaving our terrorism-wracked shores in droves, so why not sell off our women to the highest bidder?

Specifically, JK proposed promoting (sex) tourism for oil-rich Middle Eastern men by facilitating their access to attractive janda in financial need. He mentioned Puncak, the hill resort outside Jakarta, but I expect Citandoh is already putting up Arabic street signs.

Yes, it’s all a matter of supply and demand, of mutual need: Indonesia needs revenue and the Middle Eastern men also have … uhmmm … needs. And, as JK so thoughtfully pointed out, the jandas could end up with numerous benefits: a ‘modest home’ (well, there’s got to be some modesty in all this somewhere) and, better still, improved genetics - when the offspring of their brief liaisons with our paying-guests from the Middle East grow up, they will add to the pool of good-looking young people who can aspire to be television actors and bring in yet more money. Lucky kids! Lucky mothers! Lucky Indonesia: we will all be able to walk tall again, as a country booming on sex-tourism and gossip shows and soap operas! Why on earth has no one thought of this before?

So let’s get this moving. To help out, I have drafted a simple ad that JK could put in the papers:

“Wanted, thoroughly broken-in and well-trained janda
with basic Arabic for national economic recovery
and international friendship program. Teenagers with
active libido preferred but not essential.
Families with inbred genes encouraged.
Mattresses and towels supplied. ”

Incredibly, women activists are up in arms about all this and have demanded an apology from our venerable VP. Why? I don’t think JK is out of line. No, no, no! After all, he is only acting completely in accord with our proud historical tradition! Generations of Indonesian men have found it easier to sell your women than create decent employment and they have made this choice time and time again, from the harems of the sultans and rajas, to colonial times, when women became the nyai (mistresses) of Dutch men, to the ‘comfort women’ of the Japanese occupation.

Even today, this very efficient approach to economic success remains popular, with increasing numbers of poor Indonesian women forced to work overseas since the 1990s, when Indonesia entered the labour export market. Lucky we had all those women ‘domestic migrant workers’ who were only too happy to leave their families, and with the rapidly growing sex-trafficking industry, many have been lured to become sex-slaves, in order to be able to feed their kids, put them though school and keep the economy going. If their husbands married again in their absence, well, that’s life. As wise man JK would doubtless point out, it’s just the risk you take when you leave your men-folk alone too long.

So I was astonished when women activists such as The Caucus of Women Parliamentarians for Human Rights condemned JK’s statement as being degrading to women. They claim that his remarks are an endorsement for prostitution, that they tacitly support trafficking in women and that they reflect the government’s failure to take responsibility for the protection of women workers overseas. Well, come on girls, be fair: the government have been very, very busy, dears, trying to deal with important things like fending off corruption investigations and organising early release for Tommy Soeharto. We can’t expect them to be on top of every single issue, can we? Personally, I think we are very lucky to have a VP like JK who not only has such a nicely-trimmed moustache but also embodies so many aspects of our history, as well the traditional attitudes of the male leadership of Indonesia.

My only concern is that if this absurd uproar continues, it may prompt the ‘rotten jackfruits’ of Puncak, Sukabumi and elsewhere to join the ranks of women human rights activists who are always harping on and on about the way women are being treated. And then some of the janda might even withdraw their services from horny Arab visitors!

Now that would really be rotten, wouldn’t it?

Julia Suryakusuma is the author of “Sex, Power and Nation”.

Promotion
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business and Management services
#31608 - 30 Sep 06 02:52 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Indeed, it is JK's "nicely-trimmed moustache" that makes me so horny...

But Seriously, I say JULIA FOR PRESIDENT!

#31609 - 30 Sep 06 03:38 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this chick's stories published regularly in the Jak Post? Why didn't they publish this piece? It is one of the most brilliant articles I have ever read from anybody of Indo extraction, including all the fat motherfucking men in this wasteland.

"All men are bastards", should be the tagline as we head into the future (shudder), and I agree with riccardo 100 percent, JULIA FOR PRESIDENT.

P.S. JK is a cunt who simply needs a bullet in his peanut (the rest of us have brains).

#31610 - 30 Sep 06 08:55 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
actually, i can't blame The Jakarta Post for not publishing this article. as an "establishment" newspaper with a fairly visible profile, they would be concerned about getting sued and/or attacked by Jusuf Kalla's goons.

the article is also thick with irony, which passes right over the heads of many of JP's readers ... (how many readers does JP have now??)

anyway, i'm off to look for some nangka busuk.

#31611 - 30 Sep 06 09:14 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
I still think the problem is about population and the mindset of Indo people to get married and have kids without thinking about their ability to support the family economic and their children's future.

They still think 'banyak anak banyak rezeki' but the fact is 'more kids more problem', (sigh) many Indo still don't realize this

#31612 - 30 Sep 06 12:38 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

GAWD He's sooooo hawt -- I'm feeling more than just a little bit Randy...

#31613 - 30 Sep 06 14:30 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
LOL..richie, you're so funny!

double seriously agree!! Julia the brainy hot lady for PRESIDENT!! and her aussie husband Mr. Timothy Lindsey for VP...i think it would be very cool if indo having a bule VP! HOT..! smile

#31614 - 30 Sep 06 15:24 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
cherry-picker Offline

GAWD He's sooooo hawt -- I'm feeling more than just a little bit Randy...
-

Well, that jewel is the Heinrich Himmler look-alike; dunno why people call him little Hitler ... Hitler, after all (before the tertiary effects of syphillis took its toll) had a brain ....

-- from Kim Ki-duk's film The Bow (2005)

#31615 - 30 Sep 06 15:47 Re: Julia Suryakusuma/Rotten Jackfruit for Rotten Men
cherry-picker Offline

....Julia the brainy hot lady for PRESIDENT!!

Julia Suryakusuma certainly finds a lot of Achilles' heels ... BUT, being a political animal is a different beast altogether ... maybe she is Chinese-Indonesian (& has thus had the old folks buy her a decent education, maybe in the land of OZ), BUT does she have a sense of perspective, ethics, leadership ... hmm, these are the really tough ones!

I keep thinking of the great Peter Scholl-Latour ... he had visited the [colonial] Africa of the 1950s ... and saw that then, at least, the colonials built schools, hospitals, infrastructure .... but now it's a LIVING HELL in most of Sub-Saharan Africa ... everyone is screwing and murdering everyone [else], ethics is a foreign word, and the nation is sinking deeper and deeper ... sure, the neo-colonials are still exploiting (the Exxon Mobils, etc), BUT ... the locals, who have taken over, are running the country deeper and deeper into hell!

With minor adjustments to the above, think modern-day Indonesia .... a tad more civilised, but plenty of people that never think of others, that only feed their wallets .... disgusting people!

And uncle Nangka Busuk Yusuf ... he had rather expel all foreigners to Indonesia (unless they be Arabs, I guess)....

But think about your OWN ethics ... in what ways do YOU perpetuate this spiral to hell?

[an even tougher question that one, right?]

-- from Kim Ki-duk's film The Bow (2005)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website