Rate This Topic
#31540 - 01 Sep 06 14:47 ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Indonesia to join peacekeeping force

By Shawn Donnan in Jakarta

Published: September 1 2006 02:39 | Last updated: September 1 2006 02:39

Indonesian troops will join the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon next week after Israel set aside objections to the world’s largest Muslim nation taking part, Indonesia’s defence minister said on Thursday.

The inclusion of 1,000 Indonesian troops, the first from a Muslim country, in the 15,000-strong peacekeeping mission is expected to be announced on Saturday by the UN, Juwono Sudarsono, Indonesia’s defence minister, told the Financial Times. A 12-member advance mission will leave Jakarta for Lebanon within two to three days of the announcement, with the entire force expected to be on the ground within a month, he said.

The deployment is the biggest by Jakarta since 1992-93 when it sent several thousand peacekeepers to Cambodia as part of a UN force.

The mission is part of a bid by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono – a former general who served as a UN peacekeeper in the Balkans in the 1990s – to raise his country’s profile both regionally and internationally eight years after the fall of strongman Suharto.

Israel has opposed offers from Indonesia, Bangladesh and Malaysia to send troops to Lebanon as part of the UN force because none of the three Muslim countries has diplomatic relations with the Jewish state.

But Mr Sudarsono said Jakarta had been in contact with Tel Aviv via “third parties” and that “there are clear signs” the Israelis were setting aside their objection to Indonesia sending troops.

While the two countries do not have formal diplomatic relations, Jakarta recognises Israel’s right to exist, he said. “Indonesia recognises the two-state solution over Palestine in contrast to other Islamic countries which in their rhetoric want to drive Israel into the sea. We have never taken that position.”

Mr Sudarsono said he believed the US had also applied pressure on Tel Aviv to allow the Indonesian deployment. Washington has sought in recent years to reinforce Indonesia’s standing as a moderate voice in the Islamic world. Last November it reinstated full military ties with Jakarta after a six-year freeze due to human rights violations in East Timor.

Kofi Annan, UN secretary-general, last week also signalled his support for the inclusion of Indonesian troops, arguing the UN did not have many other options if it wanted to assemble a credibly sized peacekeeping force.

Officials in Jakarta have said Indonesian peacekeepers would not take part in any efforts to disarm Hizbollah. Mr Sudarsono said Indonesia wanted to see Hizbollah and its weapons “absorbed” into the Lebanese army “because Hizbollah is part of the Lebanese government”. Such a move, he said, would be “commensurate with Israel fully withdrawing from Lebanon”.

Jakarta is paying €12.8m ($16.4m, £8.6m) to buy 32 refurbished French arm- oured personnel carriers and have them delivered to Lebanon in order to be properly equipped for the mission, Mr Sudarsono said.

The 1,000 peacekeepers, who will come primarily from the Indonesian army’s strategic reserve, or Kostrad, will be flown to Beirut on charter flights with their equipment to follow by sea.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2006

#31541 - 02 Sep 06 13:27 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
what a waste!! $16.4m is fucking alot of money! see, i told you indonesia is bunch of morons! why dont they just give the money back to the people! especially balinese! or build more schools (i mean real school! not islamic school)and hospitals/clinics in the villages. sudarsono and yudhoyono are fucking idiots!!!

#31542 - 02 Sep 06 14:38 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ahhhhhhh
No!

In fact having your army serving the UN peackeeping is bloody profitable. The APCs will be charged to the UN, and the TNI will keep them afterwards. I doubt they will even see Lebanon.

The 1000 soldiers will be paid standard TNI rates (ie 10% of fuck all), but the TNI will charge the UN the full UN agreed rate of about $60,000 USD per man per year.

As you can see, its a profitable venture......

#31543 - 02 Sep 06 15:23 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I agree PB, this will be very very profitable for the TNI. Each grunt (they will send 1,000~1500) will be getting US$1,028/mo (of which these soldiers might receive $28 and the rest goes to TNI coffers). The TNI/govt will get all their logistics (food, transport, housing, etc) paid for by the UN. EVERYTHING that the TNI "pays" for will eventually be re-imbursed by the UN. There will be zero cost to Indonesia at the end of the day.

AND throw in the info I heard that Iran/Syria has offered big, big "incentive$$" for each Muslim country that goes, with the explicit order to side with Hezbollah in all situations.

Then there are the intangibles, these 1,500 guys will essentially be getting loads of free military education working alongside professional EU soldiers for a couple years.

Now let's just hope they use all that money, matériel and newfound knowledge for a good cause back home in Indonesia. ;-}

#31544 - 03 Sep 06 10:32 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

but they spent $16.4m to buy 32 refurbished French arm...still very bad for poor indo people.

#31545 - 03 Sep 06 10:42 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
but they spent $16.4m to buy 32 refurbished French arm...still very bad for poor indo people.
No honey, they back charge ALL expenses to the UN. They will bill the UN for the $16.4m. and they get to keep them after the mission - which is EXACTLY why they have bought them!!!

It won't cost Indonesia anything at all, then they get them to keep afterwards.

Even expenses incurred in Indonesia for the peacekeeping mission will get charged to the UN. So there will be HUGE bills for all sorts of new equipment that will never leave Indonesia, or more likely will never even exist.

Let me think - 500,000 ration packs at $50 each, 200 new radios at $100,000 each, 3000 new uniforms at $200 each, etc etc etc

That how it works.....

#31546 - 05 Sep 06 09:59 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Indonesia set for seat on Security Council
Email Print Normal font Large font Mark Forbes Herald Correspondent in Jakarta
September 5, 2006

AdvertisementINDONESIA is set to win a seat on the United Nations Security Council next month - a move that will bolster UN opposition to Israeli actions in the Middle East and hamper the prospect of sanctions against North Korea over its nuclear program.

The elevation to a non-permanent council seat would be a significant diplomatic victory for Jakarta and increase the international influence of Australia's key regional partner.

Indonesia is virtually assured of the position after South Korea withdrew from the race at the weekend. It faces only Nepal in the vote for the seat, which is reserved for an Asian nation.

The Indonesian Foreign Minister, Hassan Wirayuda, told the Herald that his nation had a "good chance" of victory, but declined to comment further.

It is believed that South Korea's withdrawal was agreed in return for Indonesia supporting Seoul's Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister, Ban Ki-moon, in his campaign to replace Kofi Annan as UN secretary-general.

The Indonesian President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, has been seeking a more prominent role on the world stage, believing that the world's most populous Muslim nation can play a leadership role and also act as a bridge between East and West.

Dr Yudhoyono has offered to play a mediating role in the North Korean nuclear stand-off and plans to visit there later this year. He also hosted a visit from Iran's President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, to Jakarta this year, when the two agreed to co-operate to help Jakarta develop its own nuclear power program.

Indonesia plans to send up to 1000 troops to the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon, despite initial Israeli objections due to Indonesian support for the Palestinian cause and criticism of Israel's military campaign.

In a statement, the South Korean Government said it had dropped the Security Council effort in "consideration" for Mr Ban's candidacy. Mr Annan's second five-year term expires at the end of this year.

The Security Council has five permanent members - the US, Russia, China, Britain and France - and 10 non-permanent members, half of which are changed every year.

#31547 - 05 Sep 06 10:27 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
"Australia's key regional partner" um, yep.

" the world's most populous Muslim nation" I am really getting tired of that one.

"despite initial Israeli objections due to Indonesian support for the Palestinian cause and criticism of Israel's military campaign." Nope, because Indonesian doesn't recognise Israel.

#31548 - 05 Sep 06 12:14 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by patung:
" the world's most populous Muslim nation" I am really getting tired of that one
i'm sick of it!

#31549 - 05 Sep 06 12:17 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
Quote:
" the world's most populous Muslim nation" I am really getting tired of that one
i'm sick of it!
tell 'em about it, riccardo!!

#31550 - 07 Sep 06 12:54 Re: ISRAEL okays RI force in Lebanon
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
" the world's most populous Muslim nation" I am really getting tired of that one.

"The world's most populous corruptors nation"

I add this one swear

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop