Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31478 - 11 Aug 06 17:15 Five Terror Suspects Missing
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Five people suspected of involvement in a chilling plot to blow up trans-Atlantic airliners are missing and being hunted by police, officials say.

British police and security chiefs say they thwarted the terrorist plot just days before planned simultaneous attacks on as many as 10 United States-bound jets, using bombs disguised as drinks.

What was intended was "mass murder on an unimaginable scale", said one senior British police officer.

"[The bombers] were a couple of days from a test, and a few days from doing it," added a US intelligence official, declining to be named.

The test run was designed to see whether the plotters would be able to smuggle the needed materials aboard planes, officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

News of the plot prompted a worldwide air security crackdown, disrupting the flights of thousands of passengers.

The terror plot bore the hallmarks of al-Qaeda, security analysts said.

British police have arrested 24 people, many of Pakistani origin, and two British nationals of Pakistani origin were among seven people arrested in Pakistan, prior to the discovery of the plot.

Al-Qaeda leaders, including Osama bin Laden and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding in Pakistan or across the border in Afghanistan, and their network has forged links with several Pakistani groups.

But in a sign the terror threat may not have been completely eliminated, US broadcaster ABC News reported five suspects, including the plot's ringleader, remained at large.

The suspects "are still at large and are being urgently hunted," ABC reported, citing US officials briefed on the plot.

Quoting Pakistani officials, ABC identified the ringleader as Matiur Rehman, said to be a 29-year-old al-Qaeda commander.

The officials said that Rehman was known to be planning a "terror spectacular" to mark the fifth anniversary of the September 11 attacks in the US.

The London plan may well have been it, ABC said.

Chilling accounts leaked by investigators described a plan on the scale of September 11 that would use common electronic devices to detonate liquid explosives concealed in sports drink bottles.

The bombs were to be assembled on the aircraft, apparently with peroxide-based solution and everyday carry-on items such as a disposable camera or a music player, two American law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

Britain has asked that no information be released.

However, a US federal law enforcement official said at least one martyrdom tape was found during raids in England.

Such a tape, as well as the scheme to strike a range of targets at roughly the same time, is a hallmark of al-Qaeda.

More arrests are expected, authorities say.

The Bank of England froze the assets of 19 people early today and released their names. All had Muslim names, many of which are common in Pakistan. The youngest person was 17, the oldest 35.

US officials said British, American and Pakistani investigators were trying to trace the steps of the suspects in Pakistan and were seeking to determine whether a couple of them attended terrorist training camps there.

American investigators praised Britain for preventing a catastrophe. "If this plot had actually occurred, the world would have stood still," said Mark Mershon, assistant director of the FBI.

Terror threat levels were raised to some of their highest levels and hundreds of flights were cancelled worldwide.

Passengers stood in line for hours and airport trash bins bulged with everything from mouthwash and shaving cream to maple syrup and fine wine.

Experts said the nature of the plot could herald a new age of terrorism where attackers have access to explosives that are easy to carry and conceal.

Emergency security measures quickly implemented yesterday provided a stark vision of the possible future of air travel.

Mothers tasted baby food in front of airport security guards to prove it contained no liquid explosives.

Liquids and gels were banned from flights. Travellers repacked their luggage in airports, stowing all but the most necessary items in the hold.

The plane bombings could have come just ahead of the fifth anniversary of the September 11 attacks carried out by al-Qaeda.

"In terms of scale, it was probably designed to be ... a new September 11," said Jean-Charles Brisard, a French private investigator who works with lawyers of many September 11 victims. "It involved the same tools, the same transportation tools and devices."

The close call also shifted attention once more to Britain's Islamic community, just over a year after the London transit attacks.

Three Britons of Pakistani descent and a Jamaican convert to Islam carried out those deadly bombings with a peroxide-based explosive that trained operatives can make using ordinary ingredients such as hair bleach.

In Pakistan, an intelligence official said the arrest of an Islamic militant several weeks ago played a role in "unearthing the plot".

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said some suspects arrested in Britain were linked to al-Qaeda. However, authorities stopped short of accusing al-Qaeda directly for the plot.

A senior Pakistani government official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said "two or three local people" suspected in the plot were arrested a few days ago in the Pakistani cities of Lahore and Karachi.

Source: smh.com.au
August 11, 2006 - 5.22pm

#31479 - 12 Aug 06 05:52 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
5 missing? ohh..boy! *smoochez*

#31480 - 12 Aug 06 11:37 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

i can tell you, although i cannot prove it or say at this stage how i know, that several of the arrested were married to Indonesian girls, and had visited Jakarta.... frown

Interestingly, Jihad Jack (Melbourne taxi driver Joseph Terrence Thomas) who is currently in jail for terrorist activities was married to an Indonesian wife - Australian Federal Agent Mark Brisley told the court during the trial that Thomas was "married to a woman who had links with JI figures" long before the Pakistan interviews that confirmed his involvement in terrorism.

Thomas has confessed that Abu Bashir Bakar, who was recently released from jail after being imprisoned for giving his consent to the Bali 2002 attack, had been "a family friend."

The woman, Maryati Thomas, is still living in Melbourne. i wonder how Jack will feel when someone cuts her throat.....?

#31481 - 12 Aug 06 12:07 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

And especially for WD:

Around 1:00am August 11th three men purchased cell phones from the Wal-Mart store on M-81 near the corner of M-24 in Caro. Wal-Mart places a limit on the number of cell phones that can be purchased at once, that number is three. The three men allegedly bought 80 by purchasing them three at time so that an alert wouldn't be triggered by the cash register. They also paid cash.
An alert clerk grew suspicious and called Tuscola County central dispatch. The Caro Police Department sent a unit and stopped the rented van on M-81 just east of Caro. The suspects were headed towards Bad Axe on M-81 where there is another Super Wal-Mart.

The three men were described as being of Pakistani descent but live in Texas. Police say the three, ages 19, 22, and 23 appear to be naturalized citizens. One man was driving while the other two were in the back opening the phone packages with box cutters throwing the phones in one box, batteries in another and the packaging and phone charger in another container. The suspects had 1000 other cell phones in the van. There was also a bag of receipts showing that someone was in Wisconsin the day before...

#31482 - 12 Aug 06 14:09 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Yes, PB i heard that news, scary really! there are so many pakistanis here in LA, and are mostly very rude and subborn! especially those taxi drivers..

#31483 - 12 Aug 06 15:03 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

WD - you have to treat then like idiots, and treat them like shit....

They are just stupid, illiterate fucking muslim scum.

#31484 - 12 Aug 06 15:25 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
there are so many pakistanis here in LA,
There are so many Pakis EVERYWHERE. They breed like rabbits, and instead of making their own country better by working hard, paying taxes, introducing reasonable laws and living like decent citizens, they turn their own country into a massive shit hole. Then they move to the UK, USA, Australia, Canada etc.

Interestingly, the Lebanese held a protest rally in Sydney today. The city is full of fucking moronic young men in army combat trousers, trying to look like battle hardened soldiers.

I spent half my life in uniform. Today I wore a pink T shirt and jeans to go shopping. Was I impressed by these Lebanese “hard men”?

Was I fuck…… !

#31485 - 15 Aug 06 21:13 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Meanwhile, in Australia: Ruth Kelly, the minister for communities, yesterday met leaders from the Islamic community who urged her to consider the introduction of "sharia" family law for Muslims in an attempt to prevent them joining extremist groups. The group also asked Ms Kelly for separate public holidays for Muslims.

so the message from Islamic leaders is: "Give us sharia law or we become terrorists".

And the message from Polar Bear is: "fuck off home to shithole Islam where you have Sharia law!"

#31486 - 16 Aug 06 14:07 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
shoot

#31487 - 16 Aug 06 14:08 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
Kill them all! There is no proof the sharia law ever make peace and best way to live shoot swear

#31488 - 16 Aug 06 15:54 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
There always be any kind of act that “truth” as absolute for a religion/faith to their religion’s doctrines and for some cases those absolute believer has been using for development and politic, then religion exclusivist which “shut” their ear to listen the other different voices just like pull for themselves from every kind if try to show up for the good attitude to build the dialogue between civilization. But the revision for that absolute truth of doctrinisms it could be causing the other dangerous. The dialogue in here means not a dialogue in a theologies area for the doctrines of religion teach but it’s a culture dialogue which imperatively “dig on” with make the intellectualism, and culture, religion should be interpretation as “institution” which grow in a interactive process.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#31489 - 16 Aug 06 22:49 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I lived in the Middle East for 18 years! I have encountered all manner of Anti Western jibes, but more to the point, have witnessed the squabiling children of Islam!

They either grow up and become responsible citizens of the world, or, worse, - who knows!

#31490 - 17 Aug 06 07:55 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

We have in fact already failed, and the war is lost.

Firstly, Islam is outbreeding everyone else, and all children must be Muslim. Every day I see more veiled women on the streets, many now wear the full face veil, only the eyes being visible. (Incidentally – I risk being shot if I go into a bank in my motorcycle helmet, but they can walk in no problem….!).

Within 25 years, France will have a Muslim majority. Within 35 years so will England.

Democracy will be used by Islam to take over countries, and then be conveniently cast aside.

Secondly, Israel has proved what we already suspected. Over the last 15 years the fundamental Islamic forces have grown in strength and power. 20 years ago Israel walked though the Bekka Valley in Southern Lebanon. Now they could not even reach the Latani River. Make no mistake, one of the most experienced armies in the world failed to beat a fundamental Islam army. The USA has the same problem in Iraq. This is harder than it looks.

Thirdly, we are still fighting a “Gentlemans War”. We are squeamish about civilian casualties. We worry about captured combatants rights in Guantanamo Bay. Until we match the attitude of the forces of fundamental Islam, we will NEVER beat them.

Fourthly, and most importantly, much of the power for these lunatics comes from Syria, Iran and Pakistan. All three have, or are close to developing, the atomic bomb. No government will risk offending them, for fear that these lunatics will use one without any consideration for its effects. Thus we will allow the rise of Islam to continue.

In short, civil libertarians, peace activists, and sheer stupidity have lost us the war.

#31491 - 18 Aug 06 14:32 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Islam needs to face up to its failures

THE latest arrests in Britain and Pakistan relating to another possible terrorist attack by Western-raised Muslims are a pivotal point in the shaping of popular opinion and in setting a course of action for Muslims living in the West.

After the London bombings in July last year there were ceremonial hugs between sheiks and the Mayor, Ken Livingstone; not this time. Nor were there immediate police announcements in Muslim districts to avoid criminalising entire communities. In fact, quite the opposite.

The former Metropolitan Police chief, John Stevens, wrote in the News of the World: "When will the Muslim community in this country accept an absolute, undeniable, total truth: that Islamic terrorism is their problem?"

The tone of opinion and editorial pieces has also become less sympathetic. Even progressive newspapers such as The Guardian have accused Muslims of burying their heads in the sand. To a large extent, it is justified.

Despite repeated terrorist attacks and the normality of radical views in the community, Muslims have done little to speak up about the extremists in their ranks or to condemn the abuses of radical Islamic groups and governments. Rather, their political voices have been limited to cries of discrimination and criticism of the foreign policy of the West.

This reached a climax in Britain this week after a council of Islamic representative groups handed a document to the Government outlining how British foreign policy needed to be altered, based not on any principle, but because it was increasing the appeal of extremism in their communities. Similarly, here the Federation of Islamic Councils has been lobbying the Federal Government to remove Hezbollah from a list of banned terrorist groups.

The claims that terrorism is linked solely to Western foreign policy look increasingly weak, especially since the latest investigations in Britain suggest there were plans for attacks on London from the mid-1990s.

When Muslim voices are heard, victimhood themes and, even worse, ludicrous levels of denial dominate. In London this week, interviews with Muslims revealed that large sections of the community still believe there was no proof that Muslims were behind the London bombings and that there was a Jewish conspiracy behind the World Trade Centre attacks.

Surveys in London's Daily Telegraph in February found 6 per cent of Muslims believed the London bombings were justified. This equates to about 100,000 people in Britain who could see nothing wrong with the July 7 attacks in their country. Almost 35 per cent were sympathetic. While no similar surveys have been carried out in Australia, I suspect the figures would be little different.

The groups that tend to harbour undesirable views see Islam as morally superior and believe it needs to be instituted at all costs. They take solace in their belief that despite the overwhelming economic, administrative and technological superiority of the West, at least they can hold on to their superior morals.

They create cultural fortresses to ward off the forces of their adopted home while still hoping to benefit from its economic advantages. It is the children who, raised in such cultural fortresses, feel few ties to their country of birth and are vulnerable to radical ideologies offering a higher, supra-national identity.

The time has come for Western Muslims to take a more aggressive stance, to take control of the institutions and commentary that demean them and accept that Islam is full of failures that require action.

Furthermore, there should be a growing sense that while Islam has been instrumental in offering meaning and purpose to billions, it has been more useful as a system of spirituality than as a system of jurisprudence.

This should be the new battleground between radicals, moderates and cultural Muslims, and recent events demand these issues be confronted directly and debated openly.

Tanveer Ahmed is a psychiatry registrar who is writing a book that takes a comic look at Muslim life in Sydney, to be published early next year by ABC Books.

#31492 - 18 Aug 06 14:33 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Notice two things in the above article (by a muslim..)

1) Surveys in London's Daily Telegraph in February found 6 per cent of Muslims believed the London bombings were justified. This equates to about 100,000 people in Britain who could see nothing wrong with the July 7 attacks in their country. Almost 35 per cent were sympathetic.

2) The groups that tend to harbour undesirable views see Islam as morally superior and believe it needs to be instituted at all costs. They take solace in their belief that despite the overwhelming economic, administrative and technological superiority of the West, at least they can hold on to their superior morals.

They create cultural fortresses to ward off the forces of their adopted home while still hoping to benefit from its economic advantages.

SEND THE ASSHOLES HOME!!!!!!!!!

#31493 - 19 Aug 06 09:47 Re: Five Terror Suspects Missing
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I see the new Ozzie Immigration policy is working!

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop