Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31170 - 30 Jun 06 19:08 Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
This from movie reviewer Roger Ebert of the San Fran Chronicle. Check out his comments about Australia. I knew they were the deputy sheriff and all but this is new.

Meryl Streep is indeed poised and imperious as Miranda, and Anne Hathaway is a great beauty ("Ella Enchanted," "Brokeback Mountain") who makes a convincing career girl. I liked Stanley Tucci, too, as Nigel, the magazine's fashion director, who is kind and observant despite being a careerist slave. But I thought the movie should have reversed the roles played by Grenier and Baker. Grenier comes across not like the old boyfriend but like the slick New York writer, and Baker seems the embodiment of Midwestern sincerity, which makes sense, because he is from Australia, the Midwest of the southern hemisphere.

#31171 - 30 Jun 06 19:52 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
?! Midwest of the southern hemisphere?! i just don't know what to say to that. is there something i don't know about the US "Midwest", or is it something i don't know about australia? confused

"hi! i'm gary! i'm an embodiment of Midwestern sincerity!"

#31172 - 30 Jun 06 20:06 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The US Midwest, is characterized by by heavy duty Bible Thumpers, the largest group of Neo Nazis, Bush's solid core of support, really bad haircuts, muscle cars, "Wayne's World"-type white, teenage, suburban angst, and the largest number of in-the-closet gays, lesbians and pedophiles. (I know this for a fact, because they all come to Cali or NY to get out of the closet)

I am not taking the piss, seriously. Ask anyone from N. America, provided they are not from the Midwest itself, which encompasses a broad area from the eastern side of the Rockies to Western Pennsylvania/western side of the Appalachian range; and Wisconsin in the north to the Texas panhandle in the south.

#31173 - 30 Jun 06 21:10 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Riccardo, who says they are "not taking the piss, seriously" almost certainly always is. Seriously.

No, that sounds more than accurate. What does he mean then when he compares Australia to the Midwest you think?

Australians are incredibly nationalistic if not jingoistic at this particular juncture in their till recent noteworthy history, and I am sure that if this snippet is picked up by the media then it will provoke some sort of national debate.

Richard Branson’s Virgin airlines felt the full force of this a few years ago when – and I forget the full facts – in-flight publicity material or some sort of travel guide associated with the airline had the audacity to tell the truth about Brisbane – that it’s dull.

#31174 - 30 Jun 06 23:51 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by Piss Salon:

...that sounds more than accurate. What does he mean then when he compares Australia to the Midwest you think?
It probably means he's never been to Oz and never met real Aussies outside of the ones he's seen on E entertainment TV like Paul Hogan or that tall strawberry-blonde bimbo.

#31175 - 01 Jul 06 10:27 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Yeah, maybe should inroduce him to Pauline Hanson...she's a "Real" Aussie, and can be quiet persuasive I believe! frown

Peter Kay

#31176 - 01 Jul 06 12:55 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Ah yes Pauline Hanson. She would fit in well in the US Midwest, in fact, a better comparison would be Queensland and the Midwest.

#31177 - 01 Jul 06 13:31 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
queensland is often referred to in australia as the "deep north". i think that's a better analogy.

queenslanders rather weak rejoinder to this is to refer to new south welshmen and victorians as "mexicans".

#31178 - 01 Jul 06 13:52 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

mexicans?? That is a "weak rejoinder".

#31179 - 01 Jul 06 17:42 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Had to look that one up.

rejoinder, retort, return, riposte, replication, comeback, counter

a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one); "it brought a sharp rejoinder from the teacher"

Agree with Queensland. Spent six months in the Qland outback as a dish pig in a mine.

Even the tourists are racist. Had a chat with a lovely old Victorian couple in our local, Crocidile Dundee's Walkabout Creek Hotel, who informed me they didn't hate Aboriginals but just wished they would all 'disappear'. I took that to mean Tasmanian-style 'disappear' where they wiped 'em all out.

And speaking of Tasmanians, how does a Tasmanian know his daughter has her period? He can taste it on his son's cock.

#31180 - 01 Jul 06 19:01 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

smile pmsl

#31181 - 04 Jul 06 16:49 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Riccardo wrote:

It probably means he's never been to Oz and never met real Aussies outside of the ones he's seen on E entertainment TV like Paul Hogan or that tall strawberry-blonde bimbo.

Is that "tall strawberry-blond bimbo" Nicole Kidman? She was actually born in the US. Hawaii.

#31182 - 04 Jul 06 16:50 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie, howdy howdy howdy
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Riccardo wrote:

Is that "tall strawberry-blond bimbo" Nicole Kidman? She was actually born in the US. Hawaii.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop