Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31152 - 30 Jun 06 10:09 AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women

7:12 a.m. June 29, 2006

JAKARTA, Indonesia – Indonesia's vice president said he saw nothing wrong with Arab men paying local women to marry and then divorcing them days later, and he suggested the practice – dismissed by critics as legalized prostitution – could boost tourism.

Vice President Jusuf Kalla made the off-the-cuff remarks Wednesday at a travel industry seminar on how to attract more Arab visitors to Indonesia. It was not clear whether he meant the comments as a joke, although they drew laughter in the audience.

Kalla said that many Arab tourists currently traveled to the hill town of Puncak near Jakarta to enter into short-term marriage contracts with Indonesian women.

“We need different kinds of marketing campaigns, more targeted. At the moment most Arabs go to Puncak. If they go there looking for widows or divorcees that is not our business, it is not a problem,” he said at the conference.

“So what if the man goes home, the lady gets a small house, that is good isn't it?”

Women activists say the weddings, which are not recognized by the state but are blessed by Islamic clerics for a fee, they are a form of legalized prostitution and encourage poor families to sell their daughters for sex.

Media reports say the practice is common throughout Indonesia, and that most of the grooms are local.

Puncak is notorious for prostitution, and signs in Arabic at several restaurants and hotels testify to the area's popularity with Arab visitors.

But it was unclear on what Kalla was basing his assertion that Arab men were especially involved in short-term marriages.

Kalla was not available for comment Thursday.

#31153 - 30 Jun 06 10:21 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
hahaha. ooooh the duplicity of politicians - worldwide it seems! Not laughing the facts, laughing at the politician, before I get flamed!

Peter Kay

#31154 - 30 Jun 06 11:15 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I do expect the Islamic Defenders Front to stand up for the sanctity of these women who are married and dumped (probably within the hour)….

I expect to be flamed when I say and man who indulges in or condones such behaviour does not belong in Islam. They are hypocrites and should be horsewhipped then thrown out of the religion.

#31155 - 30 Jun 06 13:33 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Yes PB, you will be. Elusive JI (or whatever it has morphed into) operative Noordin M Top seems to be a particular fan of this practice and he has no problems flaming innocents. Literally.

The VP is a kook but he does have an off-beat sense of humor. As much as it pains me to say it, we should wait a few days to fully judge him for his comments. They were first printed, I believe, in the J Post and it is far from a newspaper of record. As much as I despise the racist fuck, his comments on the Playboy fiasco were amusing. I can’t remember ‘em verbatim but something along the lines of “If they are publishing without photos of naked women then they should be shut down for false advertising.”

P.S. I do not wish to slur PB’s character by inferring he’s an innocent.

#31156 - 30 Jun 06 13:49 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think we should offer refugee status to any cute Indonesian women who wants it, and ship all the bloody sexist Islamic men to Indonesia in return.

I used to be married, and owned a very fast car. When my wife was driving it she always had problems because bloody sexist Middle Eastern men could not stand to see a woman driving a better car than them (they were invariable driving shit boxes with loud exhausts and small engines). They would cut her up at the lights etc.

Sexist assholes.

#31157 - 30 Jun 06 13:55 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
When I was in East Timor in 2000, one of the peacekeeping contingents was from the Islamic Kingdom of Jordan. Well by and by, at least two were witnessed in the act of sodomy with male goats, much to the horror of the already traumatised Timorese. The UN was not pleased at all. The two Jordanian Muzzies were sent home to Amman and promptly executed, not for goat sodomy, but for 'tarnishing the good name of the Islamic Kingdom of Jordan'...

#31158 - 30 Jun 06 14:05 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
hanabi Offline
Member+++

Loc: Here and there...
Riccardo! Do you happen to know a lady named Lali? She works for some institution under the UN and has been posted in places like Cambodia and East Timor. She told the same story about those two Jordanian.

#31159 - 30 Jun 06 14:11 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
No, can't recall meeting anyone named Lali, but for those of us there at the time, it was all the talk of the cafes/restaurants in Dili. The UN and Jordan successfully kept it out of the papers, as far as I remember.

#31160 - 30 Jun 06 18:23 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I remember reading about it somewhere. I am pretty sure it was all published sometime after the fact, though it is news to me the goatshaggers were executed.

#31161 - 04 Jul 06 10:43 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Cut and paste

"It caused outrage among East Timorese and Australian troops sent to protect them, raised tensions among UN peacekeepers to a deadly new level and caused senior UN staff to resign in disgust.

The deployment of Jordanian peacekeepers to East Timor was probably one of the most contentious UN decisions to follow the bloody independence ballot. It was eclipsed only by the cover-up and inaction that followed when the world body learned of their involvement in a series of horrific sex crimes involving children living in the war-battered Oecussi enclave.

Children were not the only victims - in early 2001, two Jordanians were evacuated home with injured penises after attempting sexual intercourse with goats.

The UN mission in East Timor led by Sergio Vieira de Mello (who was later killed in Baghdad) did its best to keep the matter hushed up. The UN military command at the time was only too happy to oblige."

#31162 - 04 Jul 06 11:29 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

What is it with Islamic men? They seem to have no control over themselves –not just sex, but everything else too. They act like 8 year old children. When happy they behave like fuckwits, shooting into the air. When sad they dance and wail like lunatics. The rest of the time they are either shagging some girl or trying to shag another one.

After shagging they are callous and rude, calling her a slut etc.

I have been told many excuses, from lack of control to sexual repression.

I think, to be honest, they are just not taught from childhood.

I remember being in McDonalds many years ago. An Arabic child was leaning over a first floor balcony. A McDonalds staff member (female) came up and told him not to. The boy, aged about 8-9, promptly kicked the girl repeatedly on the leg. His parents were sitting watching and did nothing! I kicked the kid so hard up the arse he almost bounced over the balcony. I bet he never kicks anyone else.

Incidentally, in true Arabic style the women started screaming and wailing, and the male started arguing with me about it. I hate fucking Arabs, and I told him so. He didnt seem to want to step outside (not without 20 of his mates and a gun)...

The behaviour of the Jordanians is absolutely typical of Arabic attitudes. Bunch of goat shaggers……

#31163 - 04 Jul 06 11:29 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Come to think of it, the best Arab is one that has been freshly kicked to death....

#31164 - 04 Jul 06 12:37 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Polar Bear:
What is it with Islamic men? They seem to have no control over themselves –not just sex, but everything else too. They act like 8 year old children. When happy they behave like fuckwits, shooting into the air. When sad they dance and wail like lunatics. The rest of the time they are either shagging some girl or trying to shag another one.

After shagging they are callous and rude, calling her a slut etc.

I have been told many excuses, from lack of control to sexual repression.

I think, to be honest, they are just not taught from childhood.

Bunch of goat shaggers……
Agree ................

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#31165 - 04 Jul 06 12:41 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Some generals are "green" and support Muslim groups including the Front "Preman" Islam, the thugs who trash bars, attacked the Playboy offices and are aggressive moralizers. Other generals and members of the urban elite see such groups as the "Taleban of Indonesia" and wish they were banned or their violence constrained by the police.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#31166 - 04 Jul 06 12:41 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Q)
Whats transparent and lies in the gutter?
A)
An Arab with the shit kicked out of him!

#31167 - 04 Jul 06 12:42 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

They are trying to infiltrate Aphrodite ....

#31168 - 04 Jul 06 12:58 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Q)
Whats Black & Brown and would look good on an Arab?
A)
A Rottweiler!

#31169 - 04 Jul 06 12:59 Re: AP/Indonesian vice president encourages Arabs to pay for marriage with local women
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Q)
Whats the difference between an Arab and a bucket of shit?
A)
The bucket!

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop