Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105296 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
alternative facts
The worst of the four classifications of lies: lies, damned lies, statistics, alternative facts. Alternative facts are distinguished from the other damnable lies by the addition of gaslighting the listener.
After backing up her false statements with alternative facts, Kellyanne Conway threatened the "dishonest" media for suggesting that she might be lying.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31148 - 29 Jun 06 07:16 Meeting offers hope for Corby and Bali Nine
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
By 7News

Convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby and members of the Bali Nine are a step closer to serving out their remaining prison time in Australia.
The Indonesian and Australian governments were last night close to agreement on a prisoner exchange program.

Indonesian Justice Minister Dr Hamid Awaludin indicated negotiations were proceeding well.

"I expect when I visit Australia in September we can sign bilateral agreement on this," he said.

Dr Awaludin will hold talks with Attorney General Philip Ruddock in Bali today

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060628/23/zl2n.html

Peter Kay

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#31149 - 29 Jun 06 08:24 Re: Meeting offers hope for Corby and Bali Nine
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I guess the question is does Australia want her?

I don’t agree with this cross border crime logic.

As an Australian travelling abroad, I am obliged by Australian law to abide by the Australian age for sexual consent (even though that age actually differs from state to state within Australia). Thus in a country like China, where the age of consent is 14, I would risk arrest and imprisonment in Australia if I had sex with a 14 year old girl – even though the “offence” occurred in China, where it was quite legal.

(I hasten to add I do not want, and do not have, sexual relations with 14 year old girls.)

Take this to the next level. Germany has no speed limits on the autobahns. Do I risk a speeding fine back in Sydney for driving at 200kph in Germany?

And would we reciprocate? If a parking offence in North Korea attracts a death penalty, will we hang any North Koreans we catch in a no standing zone.

In the case of Corby, what is she appeals against her conviction in Australia, where her crime would only attract a fine?

A crime, and its punishment, are national, not international, despite the attempts of some groups to give us a global state.

Corby should do her time in Bali.

#31150 - 29 Jun 06 09:30 Re: Meeting offers hope for Corby and Bali Nine
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
I was under the impression that the outcry from the Australian public around this trial had put "Johnny Howard" in a bit of a tight spot, he couldn't denounce the Indonesian laws, yet still he had to be seen to be doing something (I'm sure you remember all the press). This is the outcome that they had bandied around at the time of the trial. Personally I agree with you, You break a law in another country, you face the consequences. Oh and pack your own bags before you go to a country that has the death penalty for drugs.....common sense I think, pity there is such a lack of it. And the Australian model and her scandal with regards to converting to Islam, well she didnt really do any favours at all did she?

To anyone thinking of trying to pull one over on indonesian custom's officers, dont bother, they are smarter than you are currently judging them, and they would be delighted to lock your ass in prison, you will be giving them status.

A Dutch Teacher in Bandung was caught with 2 ounces of weed stuffed down his shirt. Straight to jail, and they managed to screw up his bribe money. Now in the pub that I go to there is a really smug looking cop that sits in the corner, just watching all the White male teachers. He speaks English, and knows us, but never talks. He knows we know it was him that locked up the Dutch teacher. Best deterrent I have ever come across, although I would like to have a "geordie" discussion with him.

Peter Kay

#31151 - 29 Jun 06 09:54 Re: Meeting offers hope for Corby and Bali Nine
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

You are right, and I feel sorry for Howard, having to defend an idiot like Corby.

My suggestion for this is to drug test every Australian at the airport customs desk. You simply remove the passport of anyone who shows positive exposure.

If they are stupid enough to do drugs they are too stupid to hold a passport, and are a liability to Australia if they travel overseas.

My CO once conducted random drug testing. Sure enough we found three idiots who proved positive. Two took it on the chin, one sat and cried, saying he couldn’t tell his family.

I just don’t understand the attitude, which seems to be one of “I am a victim cos I got caught with drugs”.

What do we need to do with these idiots?

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website