Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31070 - 20 Jun 06 11:44 Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Lodhi was known to have links to Indonesian extremists living in Sydney. He was seen dropping of an envelope full of arial photographs of "targets" in a rubbish bin. This was not followed up, but would probably lead to further tenticles of terror.....

Its just a matter of time.....

Bomb plotting terrorist faces life in prison
David King and Natalie O'Brien
June 20, 2006
A SYDNEY architect linked to Islamic extremists could spend the rest of his life in jail after becoming the first person convicted of plotting a terrorist bombing campaign on Australian soil.
Faheem Khalid Lodhi, a Pakistani-born Australian citizen, was found guilty yesterday on three charges of planning bombings in 2003 to advance the cause of violent jihad, or Islamic holy war.

The jury heard Lodhi's likely targets were the national electricity grid and three military bases in Sydney - HMAS Penguin, Victoria Barracks and Holsworthy army base.

Lodhi, 36, was alleged to be a key associate in Sydney of the al-Qa'ida-linked French terror suspect Willie Brigitte, who is detained in France awaiting trial.

The NSW Supreme Court jury was told Lodhi contacted him using a telephone registered in afalse name and provided Brigitte with a falsely registered telephone.

Lodhi was convicted of seeking information about the price of chemicals that could be used in homemade explosives and for possessing a handwritten "terrorism manual" containing recipes on how to make them.

Both of these charges carried life sentences.

He was also convicted of buying maps of the electricity grid in order to plan his strikes, which carried a 15-year maximum jail term.

He was acquitted on a fourth charge that he downloaded aerial photographs from the internet of the military bases as part of his preparation.

Lodhi is the first person in Australia convicted of "an act in preparation for a terrorist act", which carries life imprisonment. This charge was introduced in 2002 to deal with people planning terrorist activities in Australia.

Perth man Jack Roche was the first person charged under national terrorism laws. He pleaded guilty midway through his trial in 2004 to conspiring to damage the Israeli embassy with explosives and as a consequence harm diplomatic staff, which carried a 25-year maximum sentence. He was sentenced to nine years' jail.

In 2003, Sydney supermarket shelf stacker Zeky Mallah became the first person charged under the strengthened 2002 anti-terror laws. He was acquitted in April last year of two charges of preparing a terrorist act, when a jury found he had not planned to shoot dead ASIO and Foreign Affairs officers in a suicide mission. He pleaded guilty to threatening to kill a commonwealth officer and was jailed for 2 1/2 years.

Earlier this year, "Jihad" Jack Thomas, the Melbourne man Osama bin Laden is said to have wanted as an al-Qa'ida sleeper agent in Australia, was acquitted by a jury of terrorism charges. But he was sentenced to five years' jail for receiving funds from a terrorist organisation.

Twenty-two other men from Sydney and Melbourne - arrested in massive police raids in November and earlier this year - are awaiting trial on terrorism-related charges.

Lodhi, who denied the charges against him, did not react as the jury delivered its three guilty verdicts.

In earlier legal proceedings, Lodhi was linked to the outlawed Pakistani terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba, where he allegedly held a supervisory role at the terror training camps. He was allegedly a go-to man for seven Indonesian militants who trained in urban warfare at LeT's main camp, according to statements and evidence provided by alleged Jemaah Islamiah acolyte Mohammed Arif bin Naharudin.

But Naharudin's evidence, heard at a committal hearing in 2004, was withdrawn from the Crown case before the trial.

A spokesperson from the Australian Federal Police said the verdict was a win against terrorism.

"The conviction on the three offences sends a very clear message to those involved in terrorism that the AFP and NSW police joint counter-terrorism team, together with domestic and international law enforcement and security agencies, are determined to counter any attempts of terrorist activities on Australian soil."

Terror expert Clive Williams said the guilty verdict was a "considerable boost" for police and intelligence agencies such as ASIO , the federal and NSW police.

"It is an object lesson to others that you don't have to have done something to be convicted," Mr Williams said.

#31071 - 20 Jun 06 11:52 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Incidentally, the “Jihad Jack”, mentioned above, is married to......

An Indonesian girl!!!

She is still living in Melbourne, wearing her headscarf and protesting her husbands innocence.

Every day I see more headscarf wearing Indonesian women on the streets of Sydney. Every time I see one I automatically think – is this one trying to kill me.

The paper today carried an article my some Arab-Islamic group leader, bemoaning the Australian attitude to Arabs and Muslims.

Maybe, just fucking maybe, if they stopped trying to kill us, we would be a bit nicer. Notice that we haven’t fired a shot back. Personally I would deport (and strip of Australian citizenship) 100,000 Muslims for every terrorist attack. And right now, if I stood for election on this platform, I would have a mandate.

#31072 - 20 Jun 06 11:54 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

"In earlier legal proceedings, Lodhi was linked to the outlawed Pakistani terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba, where he allegedly held a supervisory role at the terror training camps.

He was allegedly a go-to man for seven Indonesian militants who trained in urban warfare at LeT's main camp, according to statements and evidence provided by alleged Jemaah Islamiah acolyte Mohammed Arif bin Naharudin."

#31073 - 20 Jun 06 15:01 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
I want to be the volunteer to shots the terorrists!!!!

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#31074 - 20 Jun 06 16:03 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quote:
Originally posted by Macan Tutul:
before you shoots the they will shots you first.. smile
because you have no weapon enough to shoots them, my booby!
you know what you need to shoot them..Al-Qur'an and Al-Hadist smile

#31075 - 20 Jun 06 19:46 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

We need to sex them not shoot them smile smile smile

#31076 - 20 Jun 06 21:19 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
branmac Offline
Member+

Loc: Australia
On the subject of terror. Was just reading about the finding of 2 US bodies in Iraq. Soldiers killed in battle. Check CNN and see these guys. Just babies. No wonder they were captured and killed. I feel very sorry for their families and hate to think of what the captors put them through. But think of the people from Iraq who have lost their loved ones in this terrible battle that should not be happening. Their is so much pain and torture from both sides. Just watch USA lose this one like they lost Vietnam. Look how well Vietnam is doing now without American intervention. Let the Arab factions fight their own internals and stop generating wealth for the war mongering manufacturers in USA. Stop killing USA soldiers and even Ozzie soldiers and let the locals fix their own problems. If America donated their war funds to the starving people in the world then maybe we have a better world. Sorry guys i am a little pissed off and emotional

#31077 - 21 Jun 06 07:23 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I agree, however like most things, there are different sides to the story.

The soldiers, being tortured and murdered: Well, that goes with the job. Torture should not, but usually does, especially when dealing with savages. And painful slow death is a risk of being a soldier. Anyone who says “I never thought I would get shot at, feel pain, or died when I joined up” is a total idiot. Its an inherent risk. Don’t join if you don’t accept it.

The suffering of the people: Well in almost all cases it is being inflicted by fellow Iraqis. Last week two 12 year old Sunni boys were abducted by Shiites. They had their eyes drilled out whist they were alive, then both were shot. This isn’t the USA. It isn’t Australia, or Japan or the UK. This is Iraqi Islamic fanatics drilling out little boys eyes.

The two US Soldiers almost certainly had their eyes drilled out. It is becoming commonplace. The British army on the Northwest Frontier (Between India and Afghanistan in 1900) had a simple philosophy. Kill yourself rather than be captured, because either way you are going to die. Being captured is going to be MUCH more painful. So the British shot their own wounded, and snipers killed anyone they thought was about to be captured. I am afraid the USA is going to have to adopt the same attitude.

I argued at Staff College that the USA did not lose Vietnam. It lost the battle, but not the war. Vietnam survives and prospers now on US investment, and selling to the US markets, and even on US tourism. Every Vietnamese communist hold up his begging bowl to the USA, and does what the USA demands. The only country in the world who has not adopted this attitude is North Korea. The people there are slowly starving to death……

#31078 - 21 Jun 06 07:31 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Incidentally, one of the key points of my paper on Vietnam was that the hated, despised, evil USA actually feeds 75% of the world. Partly geographical fate partly industrious farmers and production methods.

The USA has always been reticent at using this power, and starving countries into submission. They even advocated the stupid “oil for food” program in Iraq.

War is fought by any and every means. You bomb and starve with impunity. The US doesn’t follow this creed. The Christian fanatics refuse to allow it. They prefer to see dead soldiers.

If you want to put a stop to this fanaticism, shut off the water and food in Iraq. Shut off the electricity, shut off the fuel. Turn off the phones. Destroy the houses. Leave the people with nothing. Make them reconstruct from new. Then they will appreciate what they have.

#31079 - 21 Jun 06 07:53 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Jokie Jokie Girl:
Quote:
alquran is just a book honey. just paper!

#31080 - 21 Jun 06 16:10 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Whoever wants to overcome the problems of world, let him do it by science, and whoever wants to attain happiness in the next world, let him do that by science too. Each field has its own rules and principles, Each science, in its own field, continuously develops, in accordance with mankind’s evolution.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#31081 - 21 Jun 06 16:39 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
What U been reading MT???,.War and Peace

(George Bernard Shaw)

#31082 - 21 Jun 06 17:57 Re: Sydney Terrorist found guilty
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Jokie Jokie Girl:
Quote:
alquran is just a book honey. just paper!
wow! it's too hard to give the answer sweety.. smile
for me; al-qur'an and al-hadist dus not just paper! but hmmm, a lots of meanigns that's contained behind of the paper.. smile
even, I didn't understand too much what the meanings of the all contained smile

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop