Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31038 - 14 Jun 06 04:31 Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
By Rachel Harvey
BBC News, Jakarta

A Muslim cleric convicted over the 2002 nightclub bombings on the Indonesian island of Bali is due to be released from prison on Wednesday.

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir was found guilty in March 2005 of conspiracy in connection with the bomb plot, but he was cleared of more serious charges.

Security experts say the cleric is a founding member of a regional Islamic militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI).

His supporters are set to welcome him outside the prison when he walks free.

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir was first arrested shortly after the Bali night club bombings in October 2002.

He has been in custody ever since, facing two separate trials and serving two separate sentences, the first for minor immigration offences, the second for being part of what the court called an "evil conspiracy".

In both cases more serious charges were either dropped or later overturned on appeal.

Back to teaching

Indonesian and foreign intelligence agencies believe Abu Bakar Ba'asyir was, and perhaps still is, the leader of radical network Jl.

Members of the group are accused of being behind a number of operations in Indonesia, including two suicide attacks in Jakarta and the 2002 and 2005 Bali bombings.

But most of these attacks took place while Abu Bakar Ba'asyir was in prison and he denies JI even exists.

He claims he was the victim on an American-inspired plot to undermine Islam.

Once released, the 68-year-old cleric, known for his fiery anti-Western rhetoric, says he plans to return to the boarding-school he founded and to continue teaching.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5075908.stm

Peter Kay

#31039 - 14 Jun 06 04:32 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Magpie Offline
Member**

Profile: Abu Bakar Ba'asyir

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir insists he is a simple Islamic teacher
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir does not cut the terrifying figure expected of a man accused of being a leading figure in the murky world of international terrorism.
He is a frail, 68-year-old man with a wispy beard, embroidered white skull cap and heavy glasses perched on his aquiline nose.

Until his arrest a week after the 2002 Bali bombings, Ba'asyir was a teacher at an Islamic school in Solo, central Java.

He still insists he is just a simple preacher.

But according to many people, both in Indonesia and abroad, Ba'asyir is or was the spiritual leader of Jemaah Islamiah (JI), a shadowy group with links to al-Qaeda.

After his arrest, Ba'asyir was accused in connection with a number of bomb attacks blamed on JI - the Bali bombings, the JW Marriott hotel bombings in 2003 and a series of church attacks in 2000.

He was even accused of planning the assassination of Megawati Sukarnoputri, Indonesia's former president.

But prosecutors have struggled to make any of the charges stick.

First the courts acquitted Ba'asyir of being JI's spiritual leader, after judges said there was not enough proof.

Shortly afterwards he was charged in relation to both the Marriott attack and the Bali bombings, as well as a number of other offences.

In his second trial, judges said that while he had not been involved in the Bali attacks, he had given his approval. He was sentenced to 30 months in jail for being part of an "evil conspiracy".

Charges related to the Marriott attack were dismissed.

He was due to be released in June 2006.

Influential Muslim

Born in 1938, in East Java, Abu Bakar Ba'asyir has spent decades teaching Islam, and become influential among radical Muslims in South East Asia.

His consistent theme has been that Islamic communities are the necessary pre-condition for setting up an Islamic state.

In addition to running the Solo Muslim school in Java, he also sat on the executive of the Mujahideen Council, which was formed in Yogyakarta in 2000 as an umbrella group for people wanting to turn Indonesia into an Islamic country.

He has also called for Indonesia to declare a strict Sharia state.

The former Suharto dictatorship jailed him for subversion in the late 1970s, accusing him of promoting an Islamic state.

He later fled to Malaysia for 13 years to avoid additional jail time, only returning to Indonesia following the fall of Suharto in 1998.

Ba'asyir has voiced support for Osama Bin Laden, but denies having personal links with him or with terrorism in general.

The cleric has repeatedly denied all the charges against him, as well as any link with JI, and condemned the Bali bombing as a "brutal act".

I support Osama Bin Laden's struggle because his is the true struggle to uphold Islam, not terror - the terrorists are America and Israel

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir, October 2002

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2339693.stm

Peter Kay

#31040 - 14 Jun 06 04:35 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Magpie Offline
Member**

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir's legal saga

Prosecutors were desperate to prove a link between the cleric and JI
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir's March 2005 conviction for conspiracy over the 2002 Bali bombings appeared to mark the end one of Indonesia's highest profile court cases.
The 68-year-old Muslim cleric was originally arrested a week after the Bali bombings in October 2002.

Prosecutors alleged that Ba'asyir was the spiritual head of Jemaah Islamiah (JI), a regional militant group which has been held responsible for the Bali attacks and several others in the region.

While he was not originally charged in connection with the Bali attacks, prosecutors did charge him with treason, accusing him of plotting to overthrow the Indonesian government in order to turn the country into part of an Islamic state.

But at his trial in September 2003, judges decided that while Ba'asyir probably knew about and supported the actions of JI, there was not enough evidence to prove he was the group's leader.

The case against him was largely based on witness testimonies, and while several people stated that he definitely was the head of the shadowy militant group, they had to admit that they only knew this from hearsay rather than personal experience.

The ageing cleric was therefore acquitted of treason, but jailed for minor immigration offences. He was also found guilty of subversion, although that verdict was overruled by an appeal court three months later.

New evidence

Ba'asyir could not be charged over Bali under new anti-terror laws

The lightness of his sentence was criticised by many foreign governments, who continued to believe that Ba'asyir was heavily involved with JI.

Indonesian police and investigators continued to compile evidence against him, and when he was released from prison in April 2004 he was immediately re-arrested.

For his second trial, he was charged with the following offences:

Planning and inciting acts of terrorism
Using his position to influence/persuade others
Conspiring to commit acts of terrorism
Withholding information about acts of terrorism
All these offences came under stringent new anti-terrorism legislation passed in the wake of the Bali attacks.

They related to the Marriott bombing as well as the establishment of a training camp on the Philippine island of Mindanao and the discovery of a cache of explosives in July this year.

Ba'asyir could not have been charged for the Bali attacks under this legislation, because an Indonesian court ruled in 2004 that the law could not be used retroactively.

So the prosecution instead charged him with Bali under the country's criminal code.

They accused him of being part of the conspiracy behind the attacks, and said he gave permission to key Bali bomber Amrozi to go ahead with the plan.

During the trial, the prosecution's case did not go well. Witnesses failed to link him with JI, and the charge of using his position to influence people had to be dropped for lack of evidence.

In the end, the five judges said Ba'asyir was not guilty in connection with the JW Marriott attack; that he had not been directly involved in the Bali plot; but that he had been part of its "evil conspiracy".

"The defendant has been proven legally and convincingly to have committed the crime of evil conspiracy that caused fire that left other people dead," chief judge Soedarto said, reading the verdict.

Ba'asyir was jailed for 30 months, though the sentence was later reduced by four months and 15 days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3958391.stm

Peter Kay

#31041 - 15 Jun 06 04:26 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Magpie Offline
Member**

Australia angry as cleric freed

The cleric's voice was drowned out by supporters' cheers
Prime Minister John Howard has said Australians would be "distressed" by Indonesia's release of a Muslim cleric convicted over the 2002 Bali bombings.
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir, found guilty in March 2005 of conspiracy over the bomb plot, was released in Jakarta after serving 26 months in prison.

Security experts say the cleric is a founding member of regional Islamic militant group Jemaah Islamiah.

Families of people killed in the Bali blast also criticised the release.

Mr Howard told parliament he had a message for Indonesian politicians.

"I want them to understand from me on behalf of the government how extremely disappointed, even distressed, millions of Australians will be at the release of Abu Bakar Ba'asyir," he said.

Eighty-eight of the 202 victims of the 2002 Bali bombings were Australian.

Australian foreign minister Alexander Downer said he feared Ba'asyir could incite further violence.

Mr Downer said that Australia and the US regarded Ba'asyir as an extremist and wanted his travel restricted and financial assets frozen.

One survivor of the Bali attacks, Australian Peter Hughes, said he reacted with "total disbelief" to the news.

"All of a sudden he's back out, we're just devastated," he told the BBC.

A US embassy spokesman in Jakarta said that the US had been "deeply disappointed" by the length of the cleric's sentence.

Crowds

In Jakarta, a crowd of police, journalists and cheering supporters gathered outside the prison to see Ba'asyir emerge.

He was thought to be travelling straight to his home town of Solo, in central Java, where he runs an Islamic school.

Supporters crowded round as Ba'asyir was bundled into a car

Wearing his trademark white skullcap and thick spectacles, the elderly cleric tried to give a brief speech, but his voice was barely heard among the shouting.

"I will continue to fight to uphold the Islamic Sharia," he said, thanking Allah and his lawyers for continuing to support him, the Associated Press reported him as saying.

Ba'asyir was first arrested shortly after the Bali nightclub bombings in October 2002, although he was never accused of taking part in the attack.

He faced two separate trials, eventually serving two separate sentences, the first for minor immigration offences, the second for being part of what the court called an "evil conspiracy". In both cases more serious charges were either dropped or later overturned on appeal.

The 68-year-old cleric has said that once released he planned to return to the boarding school he founded and to continue teaching.

'Charismatic preacher'

Indonesian and foreign intelligence agencies believe Ba'asyir was, and perhaps still is, the spiritual leader of radical network Jemaah Islamiyah.

Members of JI are accused of being behind a number of operations in Indonesia, including two suicide attacks in Jakarta and the 2002 and 2005 Bali bombings.

The BBC's Jakarta correspondent, Rachel Harvey, says Ba'asyir's power lies in his ability, as a charismatic preacher and teacher, to provide encouragement - and some would argue ideological justification - for violence.

However, many experts believe his influence within JI has waned, and the situation has changed hugely since he was imprisoned.

JI's network is fractured, split between those who espouse violence as part of what they say is legitimate and necessary jihad, and those who believe in a longer term struggle requiring patient proselytizing and military preparation, our correspondent says.

I will continue to fight to uphold the Islamic Sharia. I thank Allah that I am free today

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5078540.stm

Peter Kay

#31042 - 15 Jun 06 09:58 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Let him go free. God will make him pay……

#31043 - 15 Jun 06 10:19 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Not surprising to me at all! thats why I really hate being an Indonesian! wish that Bali was an independent country!

#31044 - 15 Jun 06 10:51 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
I think we all wish that Bali was an Independent Country WD

(George Bernard Shaw)

#31045 - 15 Jun 06 11:07 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

But Pak Bob, I am a balinese! I cried a lot each time I remember about the bombing! and now seeing that ugly old goat cleric beeing freed from jail is really hurting my feeling and all balinese!

#31046 - 15 Jun 06 11:17 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Balibob Offline
Member**

I appreciate that my dear and sympathise with you and all Balinese people as I can see what it has done to Bali in the last few years.

Bali this year has been so quiet and the people are gettting hungry and crime is on the increase,..... all this is a consequence of the Bombs and people like Ba'asyir.

(George Bernard Shaw)

#31047 - 15 Jun 06 11:58 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

He won’t sleep well at night. He knows his name is on a list. One day, the page will be turned and his name will be at the top. Then he will have to answer for his deeds.

#31048 - 15 Jun 06 12:25 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Balibob:
I don't think so! however Bali and indo is one unity that couldn't be separated.. smile

#31049 - 15 Jun 06 12:43 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I never thought I would see Germany unified, and an end to the Berlin Wall. But I did.

The impossible sometimes happens.

#31050 - 15 Jun 06 13:08 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by cherry:
Quote:
Originally posted by Balibob:
I don't think so! however Bali and indo is one unity that couldn't be separated.. smile
cherry, you are NOT a balinese, abviously you dont have feeling as we had/have as balinese after the bombings.

#31051 - 15 Jun 06 13:13 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Calm down girls calm down.....

Or its a round of sausage for everyone.....

#31052 - 15 Jun 06 13:49 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

hey kuku, put my words back on! for me its not joking matter when it comes to bali/balinese.

#31053 - 15 Jun 06 13:50 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
do you reckon they are his real teeth?

..take only what you need..

#31054 - 15 Jun 06 13:53 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

His bark is much worse than his bite....

#31055 - 15 Jun 06 13:55 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
LOL

..take only what you need..

#31056 - 15 Jun 06 13:59 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
hey kuku, put my words back on! for me its not joking matter when it comes to bali/balinese.
indeed, it's not a joking matter. not just for balinese, but for everyone who lives in and loves bali.

i don't think cherry was laughing at bali. truly. she was just expressing the usual indonesian propaganda line about NKRI. remember, many indonesians know very little about their own country, it's history and cultures, and all they really know is what they have had forced down their throats for the 32 years of Orde Baru.

#31057 - 15 Jun 06 14:07 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Its not a Bali thing. Its not an Indo thing. Its not an Iraq thing. Its not a USA thing.

Its not even an Islamic thing. Or a Christian thing.

It’s a freedom thing.

Abu Bakar Ba'asyir wants to erode your, mine and everyone else’s freedom, because his peanut sized brain cannot comprehend that, rightly or wrongly, we want the right to chose our own lifestyle. He is an arrogant fool who thinks he knows what is best for me, WD, Cherry, and everyone else in the world.

He is an enemy to everyone on this site.

#31058 - 15 Jun 06 14:13 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
It's the evil thing, I wish I had super power and can kill such bad people like doing voodoo, they're not worth to live!

#31059 - 15 Jun 06 14:28 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

well, ruby babe, you are living in the jungle, dont you have lots voodoos? smile

#31060 - 15 Jun 06 14:53 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Balibob Offline
Member**

we can get a Dayak witch DotKor from Kalimanatn down to do the Biz on Ba'asyir for a couple of juta rups,.anyone want to donate to the cause??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#31061 - 15 Jun 06 14:56 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
And the Moslem (cos using this name as a "mask") which Ba'asyir "member" should think this The Moslem contemporary is on the critical of the roadside ways, two choices or a path will against them : follow the traditional Moslem which static and legal-formalities or take back or change again the global view which more dynamic, cosmopolitan, universal and pluralism, it’s very apposite with most of some the fundamentalism today, that Islam must creating a basic politic system or nations legal, a mind that “look like” a Middle East tradition and it’s bizarre to Indonesia., the Moslem people in Indonesia should be application the Islam mark which moderate and tolerance in their daily life in the middle of society where “a Moslem and non-Moslem is same in a nation where religion and politic definitely separate way”. Rejection for legal-formalize or fundamentalism as unusual and the most of challenge for Islam reformation and Islam response to the change of global world. This is the way to promote a Moslem identity grown which so many faces and dynamic Islam tradition which can respond the realities of the modern living, the basic is freedom of human rights, respect the other (same or different), ideology, and the other cultures and open minded for the best things which offered by technology and knowledge.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#31062 - 15 Jun 06 16:26 Re: Bali bomb cleric set to be freed
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
indeed, it's not a joking matter. not just for balinese, but for everyone who lives in and loves bali.

i don't think cherry was laughing at bali. truly. she was just expressing the usual indonesian propaganda line about NKRI. remember, many indonesians know very little about their own country, it's history and cultures, and all they really know is what they have had forced down their throats for the 32 years of Orde Baru.
thanx you Kuku honey..
yeah, wd..even I'm not Baliness but I really care what happened in Bali..
I love bali as personal I don't want to Bali as an indenpendent country.. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop