Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13366 Topics
105283 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
baby in the closet
When a woman is pregnant and is keeping it a secret.
Don't tell anybody, but I swear Elena's got a baby in the closet.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30637 - 15 May 06 11:03 Why women are discriminated against?
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Reliyadi, Jember University
Why has the struggle for gender equality become a big issue nowadays? Well, the answer seems obvious. Socially, women are being discriminated against. There is pervasive evidence that women do not have equal rights in their roles in society, the bureaucracy, institutions, formal and informal jobs and many other settings.
Women here are being discriminated against in virtually all aspects of life. In education, for example, while enrollment has increased for both sexes, the number of girls going to school is still far below the number of boys. According to the 2003 National Census, there are also more boys going on to higher education than girls.
In economic activity, there are more men working than women. For example, only 44.81 percent of the female workforce across the country is employed, compared to men at 76.12 percent. The number of women workers in the informal sector, however, is slightly higher (63.3 percent) than men (59.9 percent). It's also common for women to get lower salaries than their male counterparts, even if they do the same job.
Even though the General Election Law of 2003 requires political parties to allocate 30 percent of their legislative candidate lists to women, the fact is only 11.9 percent of the 550-member House of Representatives (DPR) is female, and only 20.9 percent of the 135 members of the Regional Representatives Council (DPD). Nationwide, female legislative members account for only around 10 percent of the elected representatives.
Ideally, society should not treat men and women and women differently. Why does discrimination persist?
I would say that discrimination against women persists due to the fact that by nature they are superior to men. Biologically, for example, women have the advantage. What can men do that women can't? Women can do all the things that used to be exclusively male. Women have moved out their 'traditional roles' as housewives and secretaries to become doctors, drivers, soccer players, weight lifters and even professional boxers. On the other hand, not everything women do can be done by men. At this time, for example, only women can get pregnant, give birth, and breast-feed. And because of this, I would say, women are superior.
Because of this sexual superiority, our patriarchal society has created a system to subjugate women. Interestingly, society utilizes women's superior qualities to dominate them. Often we hear people saying that because women can get pregnant, give birth and feed babies they have be 'soft' and tender, traits they need in order to take care of their offspring. Slowly but surely, this mindset has been internalized by both men and women.
It is high time for us to eliminate discrimination against women here and around the world. To that end, the current feminist movements should be welcomed.
The writer is a student of international relations at Jember University in East Java
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20060514.I02&irec=12

Peter Kay

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#30638 - 15 May 06 11:10 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Q) Why do Sumo wrestlers shave their legs?

A) So they are not mistaken for feminists!

#30639 - 15 May 06 13:33 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
I already changed my mindset, against the mainstream in the jungle, I don't wanna have a baby!

It should be women to realize their power and improve their education and skills. I take pity to most of them who gone to school just buying time until they're old enough to get married.

#30640 - 16 May 06 09:49 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
I already changed my mindset, against the mainstream in the jungle, I don't wanna have a baby!

It should be women to realize their power and improve their education and skills. I take pity to most of them who gone to school just buying time until they're old enough to get married.
agree. Women should be educated.

Lesson one how to turn on the stove.

Lesson two: Vacuume cleaner handling.

Lesson three: Bed making

Lesson four: dusting.

#30641 - 16 May 06 09:55 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yep, get women back to basics, that's what i say ...

#30642 - 16 May 06 11:20 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

What do they need education for?

I mean, they are just women right? smile

#30643 - 16 May 06 11:24 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
What do they need education for?

I mean, they are just women right? smile
A quick lesson in biology of Planet Earth may assist them when giving birth to the spawn of PB! laugh laugh

Peter Kay

#30644 - 16 May 06 11:50 Re: Why women are discriminated against?
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Directions to Lulu upon taking up her new duties as my GF:

Kitchen. - your living area.

Living room My living area (you are allowed in only for cleaning)

Bathroom MINE (you get 5 minutes a day)

Bedroom (sausage temple) My fun area. (You sleep under the kitchen table when not required).

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website