Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105287 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
are
For people who don't know the word "our"
My friend and I heard Sugar Ray on the way to a party. It made are night.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30047 - 10 Apr 06 10:22 Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
douce_qipus Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Mixed marriage in Indonesia—a review on
“Kisah Kasih dari Negeri pengantin –Cinta Antar Bangsa”
(Love Story from Brides Homeland–International Love) ”

Sari H Musdar

Currently “mixed marriage” – in this article should be interpreted as Indonesians who married to foreigners from different races and / or citizenships but both of them have same religion—sounds not an unusual matter in Indonesia, as in the last 2 years infotainment in TV reported some of Indonesian actress married to foreigners and sometime we meet our relatives or colleagues who experienced this, or maybe you found it happen in your own family, just like me, I have 2 brother-in-law from different countries (that’s why sometime my friends’ make fun of me as a united nations family, so all I have to do simply find a future husband from any foreign country, what a joke)

That trend –if I may use this terminology from the infotainment TV Program— of mixed marriage has inspired a local publisher company to make a book –akin of story telling like a “chicken soup for the soul” or “chocolate for women” book— talking about this issue. No intention to make a hard-to-be-understood-book, the publisher then invites some Indonesian women whom have foreigners’ husbands (French, Swedish, US, Indian-decent -Singaporean, New Zealander, Bosnian) to make public their journey finding their life time partner until legally be united in a marriage. Using the title “Kisah Kasih dari Negeri pengantin –Cinta Antar Bangsa”, this book consist of story from 11 women who most of them have not background as professional writer --only one of the contributors was an editor in national daily newspaper-- the publisher then let them retell their story with their style and share it for the shake of sisterhood. This book is released on the beginning of April by Forum Lingkar Pena an affiliate of Mizan Publisher to give sincere description about mixed marriage and sharing experience from women to women.

Although the writers put in writing their story with their own style, but most of them has same plot, start in on how they meet their husband, the most waiting and touchy moment for women, time when their husband propose them –in Lien Ottman’s story we will find her husband has a very romantic way to purpose by getting down on his knee in front of hotel room’s doors, and saying “will you marry me” witnessed by some people in the aisle, the big decision to make that mixed marriage come about, the obstacle before or after marriage, the reaction of people around them when see this odd couple, the effort to adapt to their family, culture, custom, language, how to get used living aboard, the legal consequent of mixed marriage and advice how to keep the marriage run smoothly undermine that their come from different cultural background. As most romance book or movies always say that if the time comes, even though we hide behind a big stone, love will find away, despite of the fact they live miles miles away from their future husbands and separated by oceans, but then God make they meet each other, and thanks for technology, by it help some of them meet after chatting or in internet match maker site, although the other meet their husband by a traditional matchmaker or run into in college or in work place.

Talking about most Indonesian judgment on their husbands, they not forget to share their experience in this book, given that most of local people around them think that every expatriates or foreigners, especially white men –here we called it “bule”—are rich. Some of the writer should encounter this disgusting treatment from Indonesian civil servant when they apply to get legal paper for marriage and they have to dig their pocket deeply and pay more expensive merely because their husband are white men! This fact is retold by Lien when she had to pay 10 times than the normal fee, the government officer than easily and innocently said that “Well, Teteh, you married to bule that amount Rupiahs is nothing compare to your future husband’s income”.

As many Indonesians sometime wonder and ask them “why must married to bule or foreign men?” The contributors of this book answer that they never imagined will meet foreigners as their life partner, since they believe soul mate is part of God’s plan so as human, they just follow God’s plan. Is it true western guys are more romantic than local guys? From this book we know that not every white men are romantic, Harwati Lindsten who met his husband in her campus said that her husband even never give rose or any flower to her like she watched before in Hollywood movie. But maybe the different is their husbands think that domestic work in house not only wives’ responsibility so they are willing to share those jobs and help their wives, even sometime at weekend they spoil their wives by cooking for lunch or dinner.

While trying to give advice to the readers the writers suggest Indonesian women who have plan to married to foreigners to take notice to legal matter prior to their marriage. It is not about love only in mixed marriage, since they are more than one legal system here, particularly should aware of applicable civil law, marriage law and immigration law from both countries. According to Indonesian Citizenship Law, a kid who was born from mixed married automatically has his/ her father’s citizen and Indonesian forbid double citizenship. As written in Carnelian Muhammad story, “when I gave birth in Jakarta I forget to register it in Civil Registration Office. When I want to go back to Singapore with my 3-months-old-baby, I have to pay USD 18 per day to get his visa otherwise this little-innocent-baby will be deported”. The other writer suggested making Pre marriage Agreement to protect Property/ land Ownership under Indonesian Agrarian Law.

At the end we know that as any marriage, whether we married to local persons or foreigners, effective communication, the will to respect and understand each other are the key to maintain love keep exist and grow.

http://www.friendster.com/profiles/qipus

Promotion
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business and Management services
#30048 - 10 Apr 06 20:31 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Loc: earth
Does mix marriage still carry a stigma nowadays in the modern world? Family & friends? Society at large?

#30049 - 10 Apr 06 20:41 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Not as far as I am concerned. Only problem is that you have to make sure that your eyes are open enough for the possible cultural divide that you do not see in courtship!

That tends to be the ultimate killer!

#30050 - 10 Apr 06 20:49 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yep, it ain't "just" culture. culture is real, and differences can be profound. if both parties cannot adjust, then their are bound to be problems.

but i feel that for most mixed culture marriages it's this very difference that makes it so interesting and sustaining.

#30051 - 10 Apr 06 20:51 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yeah right! And what you find in the fridge when you open the door looking for someting to eat!

There are things in my fridge that I would willingly flush down the toilet in order to cut out the middle man!

#30052 - 10 Apr 06 21:02 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Obviously when one enters into a mix marriage, then one should have an open mind and prepare to adjust. Otherwise why bother in the first place.

#30053 - 10 Apr 06 21:02 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

No one told me about the food!

#30054 - 10 Apr 06 21:06 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
g00f13 Offline
Member*

A fridge should be filled by beers, beers, and more beers.

#30055 - 10 Apr 06 21:08 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Thats why I have a beer fridge and have had for the past twenty years. Nothing else except beer goes in!

Its the other effin fridges which are the problem!

#30056 - 10 Apr 06 22:32 Re: Mixed marriage in Indonesia -- A book's review
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
wowwww...DQ, is backkkkk..guys...
how are ya smart girlll wink
nice to meet you again
smile smile

cherrsss
jg

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box