Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105287 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Laughterwards
A TV show, Film or situation that was not really funny or marginally funny that for whatever reason is much funnier aftwrwards.
You have to watch Portlandia, but it's a laughterwards, so just give it a chance to kick in.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29128 - 08 Mar 06 10:57 “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
BOOK LAUNCH
“BULE CELUP” (THE WANNABE WESTENER)

GRAMEDIA BOOK STORE, YOGYAKARTA, INDONESIA
APRIL 8th , 2006

CHAPTER I
EVENT BACKGROUND

Most foreigners living in Indonesia have experienced it at some point: being called “BULE”. The term is an Indonesian language word commonly used to describe white persons. Its literal meaning, according to most dictionaries, is “albino”. Calling white foreigners “bule”, however, can cause offence, and lead to heated debates about the meaning of the word, as in the “Living in Indonesia” forum on this website. It is therefore worth taking a closer look at the term that can upset expatriates, while some Indonesians regard it as an innocent habit with no ill intent.

Coming to Indonesia, for white people, means they have to prepare themselves to become celebrities. These people can’t avoid the curious Indonesian people who are trying to take pictures of them, especially when they visit places of interest. The typical scenario is when a white person is in a certain place, later he/she will realize that he/she becomes the center of attention and some Indonesian people whisper to each other, “Lihat! Di sana ada bule!” (See the bule over there!) It is an attraction for some westerners, but most of them feel like they are being treated as a non-person.

Moreover, some westerners consider this as racism. This might be the lightest racist issue happening in Indonesia, but it is still annoying. In the minds of most Indonesians, the term bule is a stereotype, which refers to someone who is rich, rude, and ignorant, smells like cheese, and has no morals. The term itself influences Indonesian’s treatment of white people. The price of everything always skyrockets for foreigners, from admission fees of certain places of interest to parking fees. What the Indonesians do not understand is that not every white person living in Indonesia is well-to-do.

This novel explores the life of foreigners in Indonesia, their thoughts as well as their feelings while setting up a new life in Indonesia, and also their interaction with Indonesian people. It aims to provide a clear explanation about expatriating so that the level of appreciation among Indonesian people towards foreigners can increase.
The setting of “Bule Celup” is the adventure of three Indonesian teenagers who are trying to find a friend: a bule one. During this adventure, they have to deal with the stereotype they have about foreigners. They also experience culture shock phenomenon and a crisis of identity. Although this novel is meant to entertain, it also has some insights - one of them is about multicultural understanding.

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#29129 - 08 Mar 06 11:23 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Can I steal this and cull bits for my website? Like I do with everything else...

#29130 - 08 Mar 06 12:20 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
What?
I thought your blog is genuine... smile

#29131 - 08 Mar 06 15:09 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
ah..Dilli, stop stealing honey! I ran out my G-strings, Victoria just files bankrutpcy and no more her secret in stores...

#29132 - 08 Mar 06 15:11 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

WD, is it true? I just looked the website last night, I love Victoria's secret frown

#29133 - 08 Mar 06 18:27 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
BOOK LAUNCH
“BULE CELUP” (THE WANNABE WESTENER)

GRAMEDIA BOOK STORE, YOGYAKARTA, INDONESIA
APRIL 8th , 2006

CHAPTER I
EVENT BACKGROUND

Most foreigners living in Indonesia have experienced it at some point: being called “BULE”. The term is an Indonesian language word commonly used to describe white persons. Its literal meaning, according to most dictionaries, is “albino”. Calling white foreigners “bule”, however, can cause offence, and lead to heated debates about the meaning of the word, as in the “Living in Indonesia” forum on this website. It is therefore worth taking a closer look at the term that can upset expatriates, while some Indonesians regard it as an innocent habit with no ill intent.

Coming to Indonesia, for white people, means they have to prepare themselves to become celebrities. These people can’t avoid the curious Indonesian people who are trying to take pictures of them, especially when they visit places of interest. The typical scenario is when a white person is in a certain place, later he/she will realize that he/she becomes the center of attention and some Indonesian people whisper to each other, “Lihat! Di sana ada bule!” (See the bule over there!) It is an attraction for some westerners, but most of them feel like they are being treated as a non-person.

Moreover, some westerners consider this as racism. This might be the lightest racist issue happening in Indonesia, but it is still annoying. In the minds of most Indonesians, the term bule is a stereotype, which refers to someone who is rich, rude, and ignorant, smells like cheese, and has no morals. The term itself influences Indonesian’s treatment of white people. The price of everything always skyrockets for foreigners, from admission fees of certain places of interest to parking fees. What the Indonesians do not understand is that not every white person living in Indonesia is well-to-do.

This novel explores the life of foreigners in Indonesia, their thoughts as well as their feelings while setting up a new life in Indonesia, and also their interaction with Indonesian people. It aims to provide a clear explanation about expatriating so that the level of appreciation among Indonesian people towards foreigners can increase.
The setting of “Bule Celup” is the adventure of three Indonesian teenagers who are trying to find a friend: a bule one. During this adventure, they have to deal with the stereotype they have about foreigners. They also experience culture shock phenomenon and a crisis of identity. Although this novel is meant to entertain, it also has some insights - one of them is about multicultural understanding.
white person who come to Indonesia always like actris or actors..and always was regarded as greatest...Therefore they became conceited..

but aside that, a lots of them we could got if we're though about the fositive..

#29134 - 08 Mar 06 19:16 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Bule juga manusia.... smile

#29135 - 08 Mar 06 21:14 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Loc: earth
What would it be like if countries such as Indonesia becomes structured and rigid like western countries? Things like litigations are rife, government acted like nanny for its citizen, etc.

#29136 - 08 Mar 06 21:28 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hey Goof, totally agree,

regarding the website, the majority of stuff is mine, the balance is taken from the press and turned around, where I paraphrase I give credit as to where it came from, the thoughts, issues and commentaries are all mine....as for Victorias Secrets, I visited a store in Houston texas with a lil filly and left US $300 lighter---what a fashion show I had that night, but that is another story.

#29137 - 09 Mar 06 04:45 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
WD, is it true? I just looked the website last night, I love Victoria's secret frown
Just kidding ruby..but who cares if VS goes bankcrupt. I hate panties anyway smile
if theres an emergency, I could go with Abercrombie, they are hotter and sexier, fit perfectly on my ass!

#29138 - 09 Mar 06 13:41 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Can I steal this and cull bits for my website? Like I do with everything else...
why not? that's what i did wink

copy and paste? some call it plagiarism; i call it discursive synthesis wink

#29139 - 09 Mar 06 18:23 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
pa'le juga... wink
yeah...white person is only human like us...but sometimes we regarded too much to them as a king smile

#29140 - 09 Mar 06 20:08 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

discursive synthesis

Great-I can use this, However, when I try to get over to my massive (400 frequent visitors)audience it is better to say discursive synthesis tan stolen..

Thanks Kukuk

#29141 - 10 Mar 06 00:14 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by cherry:
Quote:
pa'le juga... wink yeah...white person is only human like us...but sometimes we regarded too much to them as a king smile
WE?? we who?? I don't!
I believe white people don't expect to be treated that way, as you pointed out. All you need to do is respect them as they respect you!

#29142 - 10 Mar 06 05:17 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by cherry:
yeah...white person is only human like us...but sometimes we regarded too much to them as a king smile
Aaaaahhhhmmmm - im not human! I am king of my icebeg.

One of the biggest shocks in my sad little life was being in a work group during my MBA, being the only Westerner among a groups of Indonesians, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese etc, and suddenly realising I was the dumbest one in the group.......

It was not a nice thing to discover, and to make things worse the other students still treated me kindly, included me, and even looked up to me.

Bules are only kings of their own arrogance. Nothing more.

#29143 - 10 Mar 06 07:49 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

#29144 - 10 Mar 06 08:35 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their colour. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their colour is unthinkable.

#29145 - 10 Mar 06 08:47 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Goofie, that's right smile

#29146 - 10 Mar 06 09:16 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

When we are born we are naked, wet, hungry, and we get smacked on our arse. From there on in, life gets worse.

#29147 - 10 Mar 06 09:22 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
When we are born we are naked, wet, hungry, and we get smacked on our arse. From there on in, life gets worse.
I was born furry and cute. my mother licked me all over...

#29148 - 10 Mar 06 09:28 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
g00f13 Offline
Member*

When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half. I was so scared facing the big bad world, I peed in my pants for the first few years of my life.

#29149 - 10 Mar 06 10:57 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

When I was born the nurse smaked my arse and told my mother, your baby is crying: to which my mother replied, "Thank fuck for that, I thought he was going to bark"!

#29150 - 10 Mar 06 12:02 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
wink

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#29151 - 10 Mar 06 12:20 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

#29152 - 10 Mar 06 12:29 Re: “Bule celup”: The Wannabe Westerner/book launch
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
I want you Dili!!!