Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
1 registered (galerinomor), 193 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105292 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
orange face
a nick name for Donald J Trump (during and after the 2016 Presidential election)
We have been keeping our mouths shut for the entire past year in front of our relatives and that is how the orange face got elected.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29035 - 31 Aug 06 19:04 UNSPUN/The Point about to make a point
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
From Unspun http://unspun.wordpress.com/2006/08/31/the-point-about-to-make-a-point/

The Point about to make a point

Posted by unspun on August 31st, 2006

New English daily The Point will differentiate itself from The Jakarta Post by focusing on business and finance rather than politics, its managing editor Riris Irawati said when Unspun visited their office in Jalan Mendawai 1 today.

It looks like they will be well-positioned to do so since their President Director is Bakti Luddin, a director of PT Menamas who is also the head of Kadin’s Electric Energy Committee and a Governing Council for ITB’s School of Business Management. He’s also been quoted by newspapers as an “energy expert” from the Indonesian Electrical Power Society.

The paper, said Riris, is now set to hit the streets by the second week of September and it will have its official launch and Press Conference before Ramadhan. The initial print run will be about 20,000. They may lower it during Ramadhan and raise it after the new year. It will also print Monday to Saturday as readership is usually very low on Sundays.

The Point, which has the slogan: News and Beyond, will initially be 20 pages and a third of it would be taken up with business news. The business desk, said Riris, will be headed by Vidya Dahlan. Other editors are Ibrahim Zakir (editor-in-chief), Robert Sulistyo (Sports) and Oei Eng Goan (Oped). There are currently about 40-50 editorial staff and The Point may add on to this team after they launch.

Unspun had a look at the Jalan Mendawai office and found it was all new, having been recently renovated. It has two floors, the bottom for the bosses and the business division, the top for the editorial.

There were also dry run mockups of the pages and the layout of the newspaper was modular. It also looked fairly clean, with headlines being a mix of two sets of fonts, a sans serif and a serif font. The mock ups still suffered from some tombstone effects but by and large it looks good.

Asked why another English-language daily, Riris said country as large as Indonesia needs to be represented by more than just one daily. She also said that The Point will leave the Post to focus on politics.”That is their forte”. The Point, said said would instead focus on business and finance.

Asked if rumors were true that Bakrie was involved in the paper, she said no although some individual investors may belong to Energi. But she would not say more, only that all would be revealed when they launch and hold their press conference.

Here’s to competition among the English-language newspapers.

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#29036 - 01 Sep 06 12:21 Re: UNSPUN/The Point about to make a point
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I don't get the point of all this. What is the point? Are you trying to make the point clear, or is that not the point? The point I'm trying to make is that I want you to read the point that I'm making.

If, in fact the point of your post is for us to get the point, well, frankly I don't see the point, so how would I get the point. Get to the point, please.

#29037 - 01 Sep 06 12:46 Re: UNSPUN/The Point about to make a point
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

All a bit pointless to me.... frown

#29038 - 04 Oct 06 12:59 Re: UNSPUN/The Point about to make a point
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
According to local blogger UNSPUN, The Point has finally been launched, but sort of a "soft-launching" to just the "diplomatic community" thus far.

http://unspun.wordpress.com/2006/10/03/the-point-vs-the-post/#comments

He puts up a little JP vs. TP chart with their respective lead headlines, and for at least that day, TP takes the honors.

He also provides some contact info for anyone who wants to get THE POINT.

So if you want to get The Point, check the bottom of this thread: http://unspun.wordpress.com/2006/08/31/the-point-about-to-make-a-point/#comment-1107

#29039 - 04 Oct 06 16:20 Re: UNSPUN/The Point about to make a point
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
what's the point??

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website