Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105292 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Good German
A citizen of Nazi Germany who participated in or overlooked atrocities while denying personal moral responsibility by appeal to his submission to supposedly legitimate authority.
The American CIA agents who relied on the White House legal justification of torture were nothing more than Good Germans.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29017 - 07 Aug 06 12:29 JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Gossip shows smother quality TV programming

Endy M. Bayuni, Jakarta

When leaders of Nahdlatul Ulama, the country's largest Muslim organization, complain about the barrage of gossip shows being fed to us by commercial TV stations, an uninvolved response is to advise them to grab the remote and press the button with the down arrow, but leave everyone else in peace, watching what they want.

Right?

Wrong.

The TV remote control, the best thing since sliced bread after air-conditioning, allows us to channel surf from the comfort of our armchairs, so we have no right to complain about what we see on TV.

If you don't like infotainment shows (as programs about has-been celebrities are fondly called), then switch channels, until you hit on something that is more to your taste. If there is nothing on, don't just sit there, turn the TV off.

In Jakarta, there are more than 10 free-to-air channels to choose from. If you're one of the fortunate few who subscribe to cable networks or satellite services, then it's more than 50 channels.

The huge choice the public has today, however, does not give the free-to-air channels the right to use the frequency allotted to them as they like. These frequencies are still public spheres and their use comes with certain obligations. The public has every right to protest if TV stations are abusing these domains.

Which is just what the NU leaders are doing.

They have now issued a fatwa (legal opinion) calling on their millions of supporters to boycott infotainment programs, saying that airing one family's dirty laundry (as juicy as it may seem) contravenes religious teachings.

But infotainment programs are probably the least of our worries. Surf the 10 or more free-to-air channels in Jakarta any evening and you will you find that your viewing options are limited to either infotainment, mysticism or quiz shows that insult the intelligence, or cheap reality TV.

Trash, trash and more trash.

One thing that these programs have in common is that they are inexpensive to produce, and because of their popularity, they get plenty of support from advertisers.

There is apparently no time left for more serious programs during peak viewing hours. If you want to watch the news, you have to either tune in early in the evening or very late at night.

The TV industry as a whole has let us down on many occasions. Here are just two examples:

When the massive tsunami hit Aceh in late December 2004, it was business as usual for all TV stations (except for the Metro TV all news channel) and they did not even interrupt their programs apparently for fear of upsetting their sponsors.

Not a single Indonesian commercial station bothered to take up the right to air the 2004 Olympics in Athens, citing the exorbitant fee and lack of sponsorship from Indonesian companies.

This is nothing but pure commercial exploitation of public space.

TV stations, production houses and their sponsors are raking in huge profits at the public's expense. It's fine if they live up to their public obligations. But they don't. Instead, they are suffocating the air waves, "our" airwaves, with trashy programs.

This is not all that different from the massive conversion of the parks and open spaces of Jakarta into commercial premises, particularly shopping malls, over the last decade. Profit before public interests.

In other industries, competitive pressures usually lead to significant improvements in services. In the television business, stiff competition has led to the dumbing down of TV content.

Good quality programs, either informative or entertaining, are hard to find nowadays, unless you watch them late at night.

When TV stations are allocated their frequencies, it is with the understanding that they will use this public domain responsibly: That they will abide by their role to inform, educate and entertain.

The independent Indonesian Broadcasting Commission (KPI) was set up as a guardian of public interests. This ensures that there will be minimum government intervention in the way our TV stations are being managed, and that when it comes to content, the government cannot interfere at all.

The failure of TV stations to keep their part of the bargain has something to do with the ineffectiveness of the KPI in its watchdog role.

The NU call to boycott infotainment programs is just a symptom of an increasing public restlessness at the growing abuses we find on our television. The hidden accompanying message from the NU protest is that the public is demanding more from television stations.

And please don't tell us to hit the remote control or turn the TV set off. We have every right to demand improvement because it is our public sphere they use.

Promotion
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business and Management services
#29018 - 07 Aug 06 20:16 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Despite my dislike toward the NU... I have to admit what's posted above has a very good point of view. They should get rid of the sinetrons too while they're at it. Indo sinetrons these days are full of unrealistic view of life, selling dreams, more dreams & (almost always) cinderella solution to poverty. Probably that's also one of the triggers for some indo girls to chase bule, it's a quick fix in 1 package.

However, having said that, one would wonder what'll be left of the indo tv stations if those shows are scraped out? probably back to basic like TVRI & TPI?

#29019 - 08 Aug 06 14:23 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Everything about Indonesian television is crap, other than perhaps some of Metro TV's coverage. Is there anything worth viewing at all?

The worse point for me is the midday television shows that show murder victims and identify rape victims. No censorship and these programs, given their screening times, are ideally suited for viewing by children. Idiots.

And it continues; childish karate-style shit during peak viewing times. And the late movies are all American C-grade shite. There is nothing intellectual in any way, shape or form.

The programmers are all uneducated children programming for their high-school friends. The nation has suffered as a result.

Where is the serious television journalism program in the mold of Tempo with journalists with balls confronting the fat, greedy, dumb fucks that run this 'country'?

When this situation continues as it has, of course the religious police are going to move to impose some sort of control (terrorism????). This should be the government's function.

#29020 - 08 Aug 06 16:07 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i was hoping you would join this discussion, mr. piss, to share with us your unique perspectives.

to my mind, indonesian TV is what it is because it can't be anything else. (huh?!) *any* show that does *anything* that is even in the slightest bit critical or "disrespectful" to the powers within indonesia is crushed like an ant before it even has a chance to develop.

when was the last time you saw a sinetron where a bureaucrat was portrayed acting corruptly, like they do in realty on a systematic basis?? right. you've never seen that.

when was the last time you saw a police officer behaving "realistically" in a sinetron? correct. never.

when was the last time you saw an indonesian doctor being portrayed as an arrogant, incompetent idiot, like they actually are in reality?

#29021 - 08 Aug 06 16:51 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
the Indonesian TV's programs more gave priority to the quantity than the quality..

#29022 - 08 Aug 06 19:34 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
And some of uneducated, boring, a liar of soap opera.....

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#29023 - 08 Aug 06 19:48 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
but I like Extravaganza... smile

#29024 - 09 Aug 06 15:54 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
That is Mr. Peace to you, unless you were pronouncing Piss with an Indo accent.

Exactly what I am driving at. The vast majority of Indonesian artists – except of course for Pramoedya Ananta Toer and Iwan Falls (I can’t think of any others) – are cowards. They are pathetic pretenders; imitators with no soul.

Chief among these artists are the rock bands. Rock music globally has a proud history of giving the man the finger but in Indonesia they are sniveling cowards. Why is this? Needless to say musicians, artists and authors (are there any good critical authors left in Indonesia?) are failing their people.

And directors? I recently had the pleasure of watching Indonesian film Berbagi Suami (shared husband), and it was the first Indonesian film I have seen that takes a swipe at the way Indonesian women are treated , specifically Muslim men taking more than one wife and Chinese men and their mistresses.

But again – and there are a number of artists (one notable sculpturer) – who take on the cause of woman’s empowerment etc etc but few if any who take on corruption, environmental degradation etc. Anything against the status quo for that matter. Can you imagine a film critical of the government? There was that comedy series that was pulled from television after complaints from on high.

Of course at this point in Indonesia’s history, you would have to have large bollox to attempt anything critical of the Indonesian military. And they obviously still hold sway over the production houses and publishing companies, if not direct or indirect shares in these businesses.

Come on the Indonesian artistic community, take a leaf out of the books of some of the US’s leading artists and stick it to the man!!! At least if you fail to make an impact here you will become famous overseas and may even get political asylum. Expatriate chicks dig rebels.

#29025 - 09 Aug 06 18:54 Re: JP/Gossip shows smother quality TV programming
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
but I like Extravaganza... smile
yeah me too..I prefer to watch the comedy film than sinetron penjual impian dan harapan belaka smile
and sometimes they never think about the quality..asal pasang, yuuuukkkkkkkkkk :p

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website