Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28855 - 12 Jul 06 08:10 MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
From Merlyna http://www.merlyna.org/blog/index.php/2006/miss-indonesia-says-indonesia-is-a-city/

Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city

Indonesia

Being able to speak English is a plus, not a necessity, for Indonesians. In fact, most people in Indonesia do not speak fluent English. My parents, for example, don’t speak English at all. And there’s nothing wrong with it. There’s no real need to speak English in the country. Nobody is valued less for his/her inability to speak English.

However, representing Indonesia in international context is different than merely being Indonesian. For country representatives, being able to speak English properly, if not fluently, in my opinion, is a must. And sometimes, it’s better to speak in your own language — meaning: having an interpreter — rather than forcing yourself to speak English just to put an egg on your face. And hey, not only on your face, but on the face of your country!

I couldn’t help but laugh… yet my heart sank to watch the interview of Nadine Chandrawinata, Miss Indonesia who participates in 2006 Miss Universe. Having an accent is not a problem… making some minor grammatical mistakes is forgivable…. but saying that “my admirer is Mother Theresa” and, worse, “Indonesia is a beautiful city”……ouch… is too much!! And there’re more stupid things popped up in her interview such as “…in 10 years… I see myself simply as a Nadine…” Oh, my, my!

Oh yeah…, she kinda revealed that Indonesia has “…. a lot of beautiful bitches!”…. OK, I choose not to be too critical.. so this mistake is forgiven Exchanging beaches with bitches is not a big problem, right?… haha.

Yes, Nadine is so beautiful and has a great figure. But come on… many beautiful Indonesian women can do better than her! Or, alternatively, Nadine can take an intensive course enabling her to at least speak less embarrasing English before participating in international events (or, did she? perhaps she did!). But hey, why do some Indonesian media say that she speaks English and German fluently?!?

I checked into some other contestants’ videos. They didn’t do such shameful interviews. Contestants from neighboring countries such as Malaysia and Thailand definitely did better. Some who don’t speak English well, such as Misses China and Kazakhstan, chose to speak in their own languages… saved them from embarrasment.

Anyway… better stop rambling. Check the video and read my literal transcription below. Enjoy, laugh and cry!
:::

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to do in my sparetime is going out with my friends, with my family and sharing with the children like doing some act.. doing some activities..eh..eh.. in social work, like campaign for them and campaign for against discrimination of women, something like that.

What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?

I see myself in 10 years a..eh. I see myself in 10 years later simply as a Nadine and eh..doing something like or eh…being more mature and express or explore myself and my potential and doing something for anyone el.. doing something for me and everyone.. like I want to work for the Unicef so i can be more active and give more attention for them.

Who is your idol?

My admi.. my admirer is mother Theresa, because … she is so humble for me and she had, she has a beautiful or … wonderful personality. So I really .. adore at… at her.. hehehe.

Your friends say you are…

My friends tells that I am friendly, easy going person, just simply person, ordinary person and patient.

What do you want the rest of the world to know about your country?

Indonesia is a beautiful city.. so, you should go there to visit by yourself, because we have a lot of beautiful bitch..es (beaches ?) and the spectacular mountain and… dramatic of history and… so the people. Because people of Indonesia is really… is really welcome eh.. and really friendly because they like to know more about other country, other belief, other ideas….so, come to Indonesia and feel it and we open…we open our arms to come to Indonesia.
:::::

Arrgh….. reading my own transcription makes my head hurts… And suddenly, I feel an urgent need to hide………

#28856 - 12 Jul 06 08:34 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
hanabi Offline
Member+++

Loc: Here and there...
LOL! I've heard the bitches one coming from a Filipino girl's accent. I don't mind of Nadine representing Indonesia other than that I don't even know how she looks like. Anyway, she shows how hilarious Indonesia is... Come to Indonesia, we've lots of jokes to entertain you! laugh

#28857 - 12 Jul 06 08:46 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Pooh Bah

yeah, there's lots of beautiful bitches in indonesia. lots of really ugly ones, too!

the english language has an inate capacity to make its speakers look like idiots, thus is best avoided by those who are already idiots.

#28858 - 12 Jul 06 10:43 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Beautiful and have a brain is a plus.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28859 - 12 Jul 06 10:46 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
i go for the Brain first any time,.then if beautiful then that at a plus

(George Bernard Shaw)

#28860 - 12 Jul 06 11:22 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

wink wink

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28861 - 12 Jul 06 14:14 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
Quote:
Originally posted by Balibob:
Really? But why you keep staring at those lady's boobs at frst laugh

#28862 - 12 Jul 06 14:17 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Balibob Offline
Member**

well I thought that's where Ladies keep their Brains dear!!,.it is isn't it?? laugh laugh

(George Bernard Shaw)

#28863 - 12 Jul 06 15:29 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Balibob,.. that's where the ladies keep their duit yahhh...

#28864 - 12 Jul 06 15:47 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
Quote:
Really? But why you keep staring at those lady's boobs at frst laugh
Brain with big boobs and buts is double plus Ruby dear........... laugh laugh

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28865 - 12 Jul 06 15:51 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Balibob Offline
Member**

but not big buts MT,.......wow that make me Kaget

(George Bernard Shaw)

#28866 - 12 Jul 06 16:12 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Kaget??? Wow you speak Indo well Mr. Balibob....I am impressed.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28867 - 12 Jul 06 20:00 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

He could say more than that, you will be kaget smile

#28868 - 12 Jul 06 20:19 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
I missed this thread!

#28869 - 12 Jul 06 20:24 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by hanabi:
LOL! I've heard the bitches one coming from a Filipino girl's accent. I don't mind of Nadine representing Indonesia other than that I don't even know how she looks like. Anyway, she shows how hilarious Indonesia is... Come to Indonesia, we've lots of jokes to entertain you! laugh
Ummm...I don't know what she looks like too! I better google her after this.
Better invite her to come to play in JC, improving her English and her knowledge about Indonesia...ups I meant knowledge about "SAUSAGES" laugh

#28870 - 12 Jul 06 20:47 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Go to missuniverse.com and see the video of her interview, she should've taken english course before, I feel ashamed, so many pretty girls in Indo, why her?

#28871 - 12 Jul 06 21:03 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
Go to missuniverse.com and see the video of her interview, she should've taken english course before, I feel ashamed, so many pretty girls in Indo, why her?
I did babe, just now.
Yeah, I know what you meant, for eg..you and me...right?! :p

#28872 - 12 Jul 06 21:03 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
hanabi Offline
Member+++

Loc: Here and there...
Just checked the source link out. It's got some funny comments... laugh

Quote:
what’s wrong with having mother theresa as her admirer? what she meant was mpok Teres yang jadi tetangganya gitu lhooo….kalo diingriskan kan jadi Mother Theresa…

mer: nothing’s wrong. barusan mpok Teres sudah mengiyakan: “Yes, yes, I is admire.. she, yes”

saya rasa cocok ditayangkan dalam salah satu episode FEAR FACTOR atau Kalau ada event international joker contest saya yakin pasti jadi juara.

I really think technically she does have a brain but perhaps she did not fill much knowledge into that brain inside that pretty head of hers….but if she wants me to be her BF…hey, fine by me. I’ve got to admit that what draws me to women is not their personality nor their intelligence.

#28873 - 13 Jul 06 08:53 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hey give the kid a break.... frown

We all say stupid things in time of stress.

Cast ye the first stone those of ye that liveth in a house of glass....

#28874 - 13 Jul 06 12:57 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quote:
me wink

#28875 - 13 Jul 06 13:14 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think you are all being a bit hard on the poor kid. Want me to trawl through JakChat and find English errors? No one is perfect. She is probably a really nice girl.

I am prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, and the benefit of good old Polar Bear sausage……

#28876 - 13 Jul 06 13:35 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

PB, it's competition, that's why Indonesia never win frown

#28877 - 13 Jul 06 13:43 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

wowww..well..well.. there's a thing I wanna tell here about Nadine as a Putri Indo 2006..
hope my english better than her laugh and you guys will understand What I'm talking about her wink

I don't know why? the culture of indonesians mind that the beuaty is everything...
Mustika Ratu that held the "Putri Indonesia" contestan always announced about 3 B (behavior, Brain and Beauty)
but the in fact; look at Nadine! i think she was the winner as a Putri Indonesia cause her beauty! and at that time most of ex Putri Indonesia including Anglina Sondakh disagree with Nadine as a Putri Indonesia 2006..
and now Nadine participate in miss universe 2006
she say; I have already prepare everything, I learned as a singer and how to be the best"...

Nadine is a lucky girl cause she's a bautiful..
and I still remember this words
"golden apportunities and the lucky always come to beauty women, karena cantik itu relatif tapi jelek itu mutlak.. wink

I'm not a beauty, but I felt that I'm lucky enough smile I have a nice boss, a nice dude..nice friends, nice parents..and it's make become a beauty...so, maybe I'm the winner, if I also participate in miss universe:)

#28878 - 13 Jul 06 13:45 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Polar Bear:
I think you are all being a bit hard on the poor kid. Want me to trawl through JakChat and find English errors? No one is perfect. She is probably a really nice girl.

I am prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, and the benefit of good old Polar Bear sausage……
hey PB, I'm the winner wink

#28879 - 13 Jul 06 13:50 Re: MERLYNA/Miss Indonesia says Indonesia is a city
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Jokie Jokie Girl:
cantik itu relatif tapi jelek itu mutlak.. wink
for the bahasa indonesia challenged: beauty is relative, but ugly is absolute

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop