Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105287 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Laughterwards
A TV show, Film or situation that was not really funny or marginally funny that for whatever reason is much funnier aftwrwards.
You have to watch Portlandia, but it's a laughterwards, so just give it a chance to kick in.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28763 - 30 Apr 06 21:06 AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81

Sun Apr 30, 5:50 AM ET

JAKARTA (AFP) - Indonesia's most celebrated novelist Pramoedya Ananta Toer has died at the age of 81, his family said. Relatives said Pramoedya died at his East Jakarta home at 8.55 am Sunday.

A relative who identified himself as Gunawan said Pramoedya had been hospitalized since Thursday for heart and other problems associated with advanced age but on Saturday evening had insisted on returning home.

The exact cause of death was not clear, though one of his grandchildren, Adit, said he believed Pramoedya died of a stroke.

Pramoedya is best known for his "Buru Quartet" series retracing the rise of Indonesian nationalism in the first decades of the 20th century, a version differed from that of the government at the time.

Hailed by many international critics as Indonesia's leading modern novelist, his work has been translated into 30 languages.

Under the staunchly anti-communist Suharto, almost all his work was banned in Indonesia, where he spent many years in jail under three successive rulers.

Suharto's fall in 1998 ended the political taboo surrounding his work and Pramoedya, his health fast detoriating and unable to write any longer, saw his books reappear in bookstores across the country.

The novelist, essayist and short story writer was nominated several times for the Nobel prize for literature, first in 1986, and was last year the only Indonesian to appear on a list of 100 leading intellectuals named by Britain's cultural Prospect magazine.

While Pramoedya never openly declared his political allegiances, he was accused of being a communist by Suharto, who in 1965 banned the then powerful Indonesian Communist Party (PKI) after a failed coup attempt and launched a campaign against sympathisers that left at least 500,000 dead and saw over one million arbitrarily arrested and jailed.

Pramoedya wrote eight of his novels, including the Buru tetralogy, during his 10-year stay at the infamous Buru island labor camp where he was sent after four years of detention at various other jails.

Thousands of alleged communist members and supporters were also incarcerated on the island without trial.

His first jail term, under the Dutch colonial administration, was in 1947-1949 for agitating for independence through the media.

The country's first president Sukarno imprisoned him once more between 1960 and 1961 for publishing a book that criticized his policies concerning ethnic Chinese, while Suharto jailed him without trial from 1965 until 1979.

His mastery of colloquial language added realism to his novels, and the alleged leftist tenor of his works angered Suharto.

After his release from Buru, he remained under close government surveillance until 1992, and was only able to leave the country after Suharto's fall.

In and out of jail, Pramoedya was a prolific writer, producing 37 novels, seven non-fiction books, a dozen translations, scores of short stories and three anthologies of poetry.

He received various awards including France's Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and the Japanese Fukuoka Asian Culture Grand Prize, both in 2000.

He also received the 1995 Ramon Magsasay Award for Journalism, Literature and Creative Communication Arts and, in 1992, the PEN Freedom to Write Award.

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#28764 - 30 Apr 06 21:38 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
I like some of his books actually specially If I'm not wrong, the story about Soekarno??

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28765 - 01 May 06 00:30 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Well chatters mania....Maybe we need to say the condolences to Pramoedia's families
We really lost one leading figure who ought to be made by us the model in art and the culture.
I was the heavy lover of his books.
I was being in Bandung and I could be startled.
When a friend from "Club Baca Pramoedia" called and said that Pramoedia died at 8 o'clock.
30 this morning and was buried at 15 o'clock.

And now I just come home from his house in Utan Kayu, East Jakarta...be praying together.
however...I always recalled him in his love to "Write...The woman....and burnt the Waste.. (Menulis adalah hidupnya beliau..Perempuan adalah inspirasi pada setiap buku-buku yang beliau tulis..dan membakar sampah..adalah kenikmatan tersendiri dalam hidupnya..)
good bye Bapak Pram, semoga engkau damai di alam sana..dan karya-karyamu akan selalu kami jadikan bacaan utama...

#28766 - 01 May 06 18:52 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
Oh so sad.
I hope he is at peace.

..take only what you need..

#28767 - 01 May 06 18:57 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Hi Ena how are you? Still looking for Minyak Kayu Putih or Daster?

Yes I hope he rest in peace and I like his statement when his writing on Playboy magazine Indo edition, he's so brave and smart, I'm proud of him.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28768 - 01 May 06 19:46 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
Mi Mt
My sister in law brought me some -2 big bottles of minyak , and a very fetching new dastar from pasar senen hebaaaat nih!

..take only what you need..

#28769 - 02 May 06 19:00 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Lovely Ena,

I could bring you lots if you want and it's free for you and daster too, Batik or...I prefer Batik daster coz it's smooth. Anyway Ena

Cheers

MT

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28770 - 02 May 06 19:11 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by Macan Tutul:
Hi Ena how are you? Still looking for Minyak Kayu Putih or Daster?

Yes I hope he rest in peace and I like his statement when his writing on Playboy magazine Indo edition, he's so brave and smart, I'm proud of him.
hi my booby, I love him much..I love his books..
"Gadis Pantai" one of his books I like very much.. smile

#28771 - 02 May 06 19:15 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Yep my love, he's a the most controversial men in Indonesia but he's smart not anly talk with nothing that's why I like him, hey you're free this weekend?

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28772 - 02 May 06 19:39 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by Macan Tutul:
Yep my love, he's a the most controversial men in Indonesia but he's smart not anly talk with nothing that's why I like him, hey you're free this weekend?
yoi banget..so that's why I love him..
I had the special memory with him, when I accompanied him burnt the waste near from his house...that's The beautiful memory for me smile

hey you're free this weekend not really booby, i'm too busy with my all activities..
as a jokie plus..as an office girl, as a massangger.. smile what's up anyway my booby?

#28773 - 03 May 06 10:13 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Quote:
Originally posted by jokgirl:
[/qb]
yoi banget..so that's why I love him..
I had the special memory with him, when I accompanied him burnt the waste near from his house...that's The beautiful memory for me smile

hey you're free this weekend not really booby, i'm too busy with my all activities..
as a jokie plus..as an office girl, as a massangger.. smile what's up anyway my booby? [/QB][/QUOTE]

So your house near him? Wow..excellent!

No, I just asking you whether I find you on Sudirman street be a jokie plus hehehe, and then I'll scream out loud...WHAT!!! HEY YOU'RE JOKGIRL? MY LOVE... laugh laugh

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#28774 - 03 May 06 16:50 Re: AFP/Indonesia's best known writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer dies at 81
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

laugh laugh yeahhhhhh....I'm here booby..as a jokie..always as a jokie plus... but today..is trafic jam..really..coba tengok dehhh.. smile

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website