Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105285 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
trumparoma
The smell that occurs when a swamp is drained and replaced with raw sewage and other kinds of stinking waste.
There's been a hell of a trumparoma around here since they drained that swamp and filled it with sewage.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27763 - 03 Apr 06 12:42 Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
Pooh Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi,

i am very new to this website. Thanks for allowing me to join this website. I am current staying in Singapore and i would like to ask a few questions about doing business in Indonesia. I was asked to research on the likehood of marketing some talks and seminars in Indonesia by my boss, which could take place in either the hotels and country club. My questions are as follows:-

(1) If the seminars and talks are conducted in English and not Bahasa/Chinese would it be a problem as i'm not very sure of the language medium used by people who frequent the country club/hotel.

(2) What is the general feel of the people in Indonesia towards talk/seminar selling?

(3) Should i intend to market a seminar in Indonesia. Is Jarkatapost the best way to market such a seminar? Is there some sources that i can approach to find out more about marketing in Indonesia? For example, through phone canvassing or some other innovative way?

Would appreciate if you could help.

Promotion
Thunderbird: Reclaim your email inbox!
#27764 - 03 Apr 06 13:16 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
you cannot underestimate language barriers in indonesia. even though many indonesians can put up a very good appearance of understanding what you are saying, their level of comprehension is very often poor, even amongst those who are supposedly educated.

if you are selling into the domestic market, you *must* use bahasa indonesia. anything else and you'll be pissing in the wind, and the only people who will attend your seminars will be those wishing to appear "keren".

seminar selling is not easy in indonesia. you would have to provide a powerful incentive for people to come to your venue through hours of traffic for the privilage of being sold something they probably don't want anyway! and why should they give their free time to you when they could be window shopping and parading at the mal?

Jakarta Post? forget it. circulation 25000, almost exclusively western expats, diplomats and western wanna-be's. if you want to market seriously, you *must* use Kompas.

phone canvassing? forget it; you only succeed in annoying people.

#27765 - 14 Sep 06 15:03 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I have met a few companies that use the method of selling you are talking about with various degrees of success. The language barrier depends on what industry and level of person you are inviting and what your product is. If its a B2B thing for director level people and Multi-nationals you have no problem in using English.

You will find attendance will be good in numbers but the quality of person you attract might not be great as anybody with the power to make a decision over here have better things to do with their time.

Companies who manage to sell this way usually have already done a fair amount of groundwork with clients before the seminar.

My advice is to get the B2B database for Indonesia and mail shot the companies. Then get on the phone and book a weeks worth of appointments - fly over and close the deal.

#27766 - 14 Sep 06 20:19 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Fuck me! Is it that easy? I have been here for two years and never thought of that! I'll have to try this novel approach and see how rich I can get quickly!

Prick!

#27767 - 15 Sep 06 13:35 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

actually in my experience it is that easy ..

#27768 - 15 Sep 06 13:49 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
Pooh Bah

many indonesians at "high-levels" in multinational firms are expert at giving the impression that they are "westernised" and understand everything that is being said to them. westerners who come here -- esp. those on short term assignments -- find themselves wanting to believe that someone, somewhere here has all the answers, and has all their shit together. sadly, this is never the case.

#27769 - 15 Sep 06 20:30 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:

Jakarta Post? forget it. circulation 25000, almost exclusively western expats, diplomats and western wanna-be's. if you want to market seriously, you *must* use Kompas.
According to the latest research I have in front of me now, by the #1 int'l research/survey co. and their local partners:
JP has just 6,510 readers in Jkt (a 0.22% share of the newspaper market), 3,970 in Bali and a virtual 0% in all other cities except Semarang and Palembang, with about 500 each, the trend is going down slightly.

Kompas, OTOH, has finally succeeded in surpassing that hideous rag Pos Kota, and has over 6 million readers nationwide each day, but Pos Kota still leads in jakarta.

#27770 - 15 Sep 06 21:05 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I have in front of me a Bintang! What are the stats on that!

#27771 - 15 Sep 06 21:34 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Actually, Dill, I've got a Bintang in front of me too -- well it's just to the right connected to my hand. BUT, funny you should ask. Nationwide, the statistics have been 9-12% each year, of the entire population, drink at least one beer (of which Bintang is the market leader with about a 91% share) each week.

During KRISMON it went down from 12% to 9% in one year. Since that time it has come all the back to 12% in 1h2006, despite the fuel hikes and despite the growing religious conservatism. As the economy gets stronger, it is predicted to reach 15% by 2010 (a total of nearly 40 million people) --- AND what's interesting is that tourists or expats were excluded from the research, as its "assumed" that 100% of us infidels drink beer so what's the point in doing the research.

#27772 - 16 Sep 06 08:57 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by riccardo:
JP has just 6,510 readers in Jkt (a 0.22% share of the newspaper market), 3,970 in Bali and a virtual 0% in all other cities except Semarang and Palembang, with about 500 each, the trend is going down slightly.
JP has only 6510 readers in Jakarta? that's damn amazing! compared to 6 million for Kompas (yeah, i know, nationwide), JP just downright insignificant. supports my long contention that it's a mere semi-official voice of the government into the diplomatic community.

#112611 - 16 Sep 10 16:43 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia [Re: Pooh]
123445 Offline

Loc: india
ANY WAY THANKS LOT FOR SENDING,BUT WE ARE SORRY TO HAVE BUSINESS WITH YOU KISHOREKUMAR

#112612 - 16 Sep 10 16:52 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
123445 Offline

Loc: india
CAN YOU SEND YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS ITS ME KISHORE KUMAR

#112639 - 18 Sep 10 20:07 Re: Language Barrier in Doing Business in Indonesia [Re: 123445]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Eh?

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website