Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13366 Topics
105283 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
baby in the closet
When a woman is pregnant and is keeping it a secret.
Don't tell anybody, but I swear Elena's got a baby in the closet.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25460 - 09 Feb 06 15:14 linux vs windows server
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i'm currently toying with the idea of setting up an dedicated server on my small business LAN (6 permanent stations).

has anyone had any experience in setting up a linux box that can be used as the central file server? client machines will be using windows xp.

what are the relative advantages of linux over windows in this situation?

note that although i am quite computer competant, i don't want to spend my life nursing a network!

any thoughts, anyone?

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#25461 - 09 Feb 06 17:37 Re: linux vs windows server
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Linux is a cut down UNIX - as such it is BLOODY stable. Unlike windows you can pull down individual kernels without crashing whe whole OS.

It also supports better multithreading and multitasking. Windows 32 bit (despite everything Microsoft says) uses timshare rather that true multitasking.

And its CHEAP.

#25462 - 09 Feb 06 18:01 Re: linux vs windows server
Pooh Bah

thanks bear, i was sort of waiting for your opinion. wink

cheapness and stability i can believe. but do you know, what about performance issues in terms of windows xp kliens accessing files/directories on the linux box? there would need to be some kind of driver to interface the differing disk operating systems and formats. What sort of performance hit would be involved with this "translation" layer (called "samba" so i hear)?

#25463 - 09 Feb 06 18:30 Re: linux vs windows server
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

The two main file servers for Linux are Samba and NFS. I have no experience with either. I believe both work pretty well.

In terms of performance every hit on the server will of course degrade its performance, although not as much as you might think.

I don’t know a lot about Linux, so my comments are based upon UNIX.

Windows Servers, like windows desktop OS, tend to be “one size fits all”. Straight out of the box it performs pretty well. You don’t have to configure it, or play with settings.

UNIX is a hard core OS. It has grunt. Out of the box it will run, but nothing like as well as a Windows server. Its big advantage comes with its configurability. You can set up the OS for optimum performance of the applications running on it.

Setting up Linux for optimum performance may take some time. When it is done it will perform VERY well.

#25464 - 09 Feb 06 18:34 Re: linux vs windows server
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Chicha Lex may be able to offer better advice.

Goof dude, what you say smile

#25465 - 09 Feb 06 18:38 Re: linux vs windows server
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

One other thought. Sun now give away Solaris 10 free of charge. That’s s pretty heavy duty Server OS. Real pro rock solid stuff.

I saw a Sun Enterprise 64 bit server on Ebay for AUD700. Quad processors, 2Gb RAM, etc. The box even came with Solaris 9 on it. For 700 dollars that is a REAL grunt box. I almost bought it just to run in my apartment……….

#25466 - 09 Feb 06 18:47 Re: linux vs windows server
chicha_lex Offline
Member+

Loc: Saudi Arabia
Thank you PB. Not that I am any good in Linux, but my 1st Linux installation was in 1997, and the most beautiful one was in 1999 with 40 Win98 clients. The server were never shut down or got BSOD for a year, until I decommissioned that server. Seriously, Linux has evolved to a very stable OS since then. I am very comfortable with its developoment, until I wrote a proposal for the Government of Malaysia to change its Gov IT system to be based on Linux. It is being implemented not, slow, but probably surely. If I wanna list down all the good thing that Linux can give the user, probably it will become another few hundred pages of paperwork, so, let me make it simple, it is the way of the future. Take the opportunity to learn and familiarise yourself with Linux system and in the long run, you'll see that it has so much advantages over Windows.

I suggest you toy around with a small non critical group, then, when you already good at it, move that system into the main system. I believe in Linux, as much as I believe in MacOS, Solaris and all those OS that are not from Bill Gates...

smile

#25467 - 09 Feb 06 20:25 Re: linux vs windows server
Pooh Bah

thanks for your input. i'm a bit put off frankly, mainly because of support issues; i just don't have time myself to nurse a new system, and there's no-one else in the office who could possibly do it. calling in outsiders to maintain it scares me a bit; especially in Indonesia!

#25468 - 09 Feb 06 20:31 Re: linux vs windows server
chicha_lex Offline
Member+

Loc: Saudi Arabia
Owww, BTW, Indonesia is one of the cradle for Linux Experts and Hackers. The piracy programs in Indo is basically hopeless, so, these people work on Linux and Unix most of the time. I can give you 1 or 2 names that are 'evangelist' in Linux there.

Anyway, wait till I get back from the desert, chasing camels...

Chiaoooooo....

#25469 - 09 Feb 06 20:58 Re: linux vs windows server
Pooh Bah

smile i don't need an evangelist; i need someone to set up a stable file server and maybe come back every year or so to maintain it. is that so much to ask?? wink

my problem is that i just don't have time to do it myself, but the fact is i guess i'm gonna have to learn to delegate computer stuff, but without paying a fortune!

having only 6 work stations just doesn't justify employing a full time sysop ...

#25470 - 11 Feb 06 16:52 Re: linux vs windows server
Pooh Bah

i've just found a pretty good guide concerning using linux as a network file server with windows xp clients. it's a book called "Linux in a Windows World". i've put it on http://okusi.net/linux/Linux%20in%20a%20Windows%20World.chm for anyone who's interested. it's about 2.5MB in compiled HTML format.

#25471 - 11 Feb 06 17:25 Re: linux vs windows server
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Im excited about that.... smile

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website