Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105287 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Laughterwards
A TV show, Film or situation that was not really funny or marginally funny that for whatever reason is much funnier aftwrwards.
You have to watch Portlandia, but it's a laughterwards, so just give it a chance to kick in.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22107 - 16 May 06 07:05 Mixed couples find help at hand
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Anissa S. Febrina, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Many transnational couples feel as though they are adrift far from home in the early years of marriage.

In Jakarta, Japanese married to Indonesian Muslims often turn to the Japan Muslim Association (JMA) for advice.

"Most of our members are mixed couples. In the end, aside from holding religious discussions, we also help them learn about each other's culture," JMA Jakarta representative Shochi Oni said.

Some 90 percent of the 60 members of the association converted because they wanted to marry Indonesian Muslims, he said.

"Those who plan on marrying Muslims will most likely encounter problems with their spouses' extended family," Oni explained. "Indonesians often have fixed ideas about what a Muslim should be like."

Such a view often puts pressure on the newly converted husbands or wives.

Betrothed couples often attend the monthly gathering, which is held in different places, to get an idea of issues they might later face.

Topics of discussion range from religious values to practicing Islam to the everyday sociocultural conditions encountered by members.

"One of them asked if Islam allows corruption," Oni recalled a man naively asking "if not, why is corruption rampant in a country where most people are Muslims?"

The gathering occasionally invites foreign mualaf (converts to Islam) to share their experiences in adapting to both Islam and the local culture here.

Most of the Japanese Muslims in the city are either businesspeople or scholars. With a population of no more than 200 -- as compared to 2,973 Japanese recorded by the Jakarta Japan Club -- they are minorities among minorities.

In Japan, there are an estimated 7,000 Japanese Muslims, most of whom live in Tokyo. The entire Muslim population in Japan, inclusive of non-nationals, extends to 100,000.

"It is not easy being a Muslim in Japan," Oni said. "Sometimes, for business purposes, they hide the fact they are Muslims."

Japan's business culture, for example, requires men to spend late nights with clients drinking sake, which is considered haram (prohibited in Islam).

"The wives complain to their Japanese husbands. These kinds of arguments often end in divorce," Oni said.

And when couples bring their problems to gatherings or personal consultation sessions, the association seeks to bridge the cultural gap.

The divorce rate is higher among couples who choose to live in Japan. "The cultural pressure is so strong the wives would rather return to Indonesia," he said.

Oni himself converted in 1995, the year when he changed his name to Arif Rahman Oni. He later married lawyer Ike Faridah and decided to resign from his position as general manager at Japanese company Marubeni to take care of the JMA.

"I am a businessman, a Japanese and I know about Islam. I feel that it is my duty to provide the service," he said.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailcity.asp?fileid=20060515.C02&irec=2

Peter Kay

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#22108 - 16 May 06 12:57 Re: Mixed couples find help at hand
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
"The cultural pressure is so strong the wives would rather return to Indonesia," he said.
BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!

Everyone in Japan knows that Muslims are desperately trying to get in, and NEVER go back.

One of my best friends is a Tokyo homicide cop. Since 2002 half of the crimes he investigates involve Muslims, mainly Middle Eastern men. Take a walk down Ginza any night and see them hanging around the street girls……

#22109 - 16 May 06 13:04 Re: Mixed couples find help at hand
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
They (Middle Eastern visitors) sit in cafe's smoking hookahs while the foreigners are in the bar along the street thinking about the opposite!

#22110 - 16 May 06 13:11 Re: Mixed couples find help at hand
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Is that true Dilli? I just posted it because I thought it would be of interest. I can actually seeing lots of indonesian women getting sick of Japan, their husbands and the cultural difference, and buggering back off to Mummy and Daddy, but that is only an opinion formed on the basis of some indo girls I have met. Do you think the cultural differences between indo's and japanese is a lot more complex and harder to get over than Indo to Bules???

Peter Kay

#22111 - 16 May 06 13:16 Re: Mixed couples find help at hand
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
PB would know better than me. I have only visited japan once, not enough time to have a considred opinion, however,I did notice (as in Thailand) a large number of ME visitors in Tokyo

#22112 - 16 May 06 13:18 Re: Mixed couples find help at hand
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

But I honestly don’t understand something. Maybe one of the readers here can enlighten me, because I really want to know:

Why if you live in an Islamic country, and you are a committed Muslim, would you want to go and live in a non Islamic country?

You think the West is so bad, so corrupt and morally bankrupt, so WHY move here?

Perhaps deep down you accept that Islamic country ALL tend to be corrupt shitholes where life is cheap, women are treated like cattle, no one has any rights and depot tinpots make rules that everyone has to follow.

O5r maybe you are really invaders, who are determined to colonise my western worlds and make it Islamic (and turn it into the same shithole you came from).

Or maybe the Muslim men just want to fuck a lot of girls, and when they get here they find the stories about free sex are not true and so they turn to rape gangs…..

Can someone please tell me…..

#22113 - 16 May 06 13:33 Re: Mixed couples find help at hand
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
PB would know better than me. I have only visited japan once, not enough time to have a considred opinion, however,I did notice (as in Thailand) a large number of ME visitors in Tokyo
It is a huge and growing problem. Japan is obliged to take in Refugees, even though culturally and geographically it is not disposed to do so. There is a huge shortage of liveable land (4/5 of Japan is uninhabitable mountainous country).

These refugees do not, and cannot assimilate, so they have formed ghettos. They have moved into small scale crime, running prostitution, small time protection rackets, etc. Many have joined the little league Yakuza – the Boyrokudan. The Yakuza have brains (many have MBAs) and good connections. They stay above the law. The Middle Eastern members of the Boyrukudan end up running into the Tokyo (and now Yokohama) cops, usually ending up in running gun battles. Tokoy cops keep a running score on how many Islamic Buyrokudan they have shot.

Wherever these Middle Eastern Muslims go, they bring trouble. Japan will not tolerate it.

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website