Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 171 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
January
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105297 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Tyrannosaurus rump
T.rump is a tyrant lizard with small hands and an even smaller brain
Fossil evidence suggests that Tyrannosaurus rump used its ridiculously tiny hands to grab pussies
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15296 - 07 Oct 06 17:32 Weekend Quiz
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Since the US baseball playoffs are in full swing, it's appropriate that we have a couple of topical quiz questions. (NOTE: you do not need to know anything about baseball or sports in order to get the correct answer.)

1. Why do all professional baseball stadiums face northeast?

2. Why do they call the championship "The World Series"?

3. Why is a left-handed person (someone whose dominant throwing hand is the left) called a "southpaw"?

If you can answer those, I'll buy you a beer, or whatever your preferred beverage is.

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#33754 - 08 Oct 06 23:52 Re: Weekend Quiz [Re: riccardo]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
1. so the sun dont get to the players eyes
2. because someone else has used the title 'world championship' & series.. because it's to be continued ?
3. coz by the time he finished throwing he would spin to the south direction?

( don't laugh at me.. sport is not my thing, i'm just trying to get a freebie.. )

#33755 - 08 Oct 06 23:57 Re: Weekend Quiz [Re: Choc_Cow]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
1. yeah, probably sun issues
2. amerikan megalomania, probably
3. because a left-hander on a north-east facing stadium would have his throwing arm oriented on the south side of his body.

#33757 - 09 Oct 06 00:10 Re: Weekend Quiz [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
1)
If they did not face North East the the sun would at times be directly over the pitchers shoulder.

2)
Many believe that the name World Series is American hype or arrogance, but the other theory (much disputed) is that the Series was named after the New York World newspaper who sponsored the title games in the early part of the century, although this is unproven.

3)
When the afternoon and evening sun is at its brightest (when most games were played), due to the pitch construction it would not shine in the eyes of the batters. The western sky (where the low sun would be low and bright in the sky) is behind home the plate, therefore, the batter would be looking east. The pitcher's left side (and left hand) would be on his south side. Therefore, a left handed pitcher came to be know as a south paw.

Bintang Please

#33778 - 09 Oct 06 05:10 Re: Weekend Quiz [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Outstanding gang, but nobody really got #2 just right, although all of you were "in the ballpark" so to speak. Dill was closes

Answers:
1. Yes the sun, as most games, especially in the old days were played in the later afternoon.

2. It is an old baseball myth abouth New York World sponsorship. The postseason series between the two US league champs -- the AL and NL -- was originally known as the "Championship of the World" or "World's Championship Series." That was shortened through usage to "World's Series" and finally to "World Series."

This usage can be traced through the annual baseball guides. Spalding's Base Ball Guide for 1887 reported the results of the 1886 postseason series between Chicago, champions of the National League, and St. Louis, champions of the American Association, under the heading "The World's Championship."

As the editor noted, the two leagues "both entitle their championship contests each season as those for the base ball championship of the United States," so a more grandiose name was required to describe the postseason showdown between the two "champions of the United States."

But the Spalding Guide -- which, after all, was published by one of the world's largest sporting goods companies, with a vested interest in bringing baseball to other lands -- had grander ambitions.
By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."

This didn't happen, but the name "World's Championship Series" stuck --- so it wasn't really US arrogance, after all in 1903 the USA was just a bit player on the world stage -- it was more an aspiration/hope/goal to get the whole world involved. Alas, outside of Latin America and N. America, only a few East Asian countries are into it.

3.. Yes. A left-handed pitcher's delivery motion will be to the south.

#33781 - 09 Oct 06 05:12 Re: Weekend Quiz [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
OK, I'll split drinks with Choco and Kuku

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website