Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14306 - 17 Sep 06 04:12 whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
kareltjuhh belanda Offline
Member+

Loc: belanda
I was raged in anger when I heared first of the road construction works Ladia Galaska. Fortunately I was not alone, unforunately Indonesia's government only looked at the short gains and ,God forbid ,they even had the plan of legalizing logging in parts of the Leuser ecosystem to build houses???!?

Ladia Galaska is a roadcontruction project that will cut the gunung leuser ecosystem in half. It will cut right through the heart of the last pristine rainforests of Sumatra forming a direct danger to all animals within it.

Direct implications will be illegal logging, poaching and landburnings. also a direct degrading of the forests which will shrink the habitat of all endangered animals in half. Leuserpark is already a last stronghold of the sumatran tiger, elephant, orang-oetang and rhino and thousends of other species and plants.

When I was in Sumatra a month ago I heared some people Ladia Galaska was canceled. If was really thrilled! could it be that the Indonesian government finally had some common sense???

The bigger my dissapointment I cant find any article on this. frown who can help me out here and knows whats the status on the ladia galaska project?

#14307 - 17 Sep 06 08:32 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
this is the last article i have ob the subject, from The Jakarta Post 20 July 2005:

Govt urged to halt road project

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

A number of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) reiterated their demand on Tuesday for the government to cancel the controversial Ladia Galaska road project in Aceh due to its
adverse impact on the environment.
"We made the appeal once again amid reports that three ministries had agreed to proceed with the project," Indro Cahyono, director of the Workers Union for the Conservation of Indonesian Forests (Skephi), was quoted by Antara as saying,
following a meeting with State Minister of the Environment Rachmat Witoelar.
The government decided two weeks ago to resume the construction of the 470-kilometer Ladia Galaska highway, but will create a new route that will not cut through the pristine, protected forest and conservation areas. The decision was reached during a meeting between Minister of Public Works Djoko Kirmanto, Minister of Forestry M.S. Kaban and State Minister of the Environment.
According to the new plan, the project will not go through the 45-kilometer section connecting Pinding and Lokop, located in the
middle of the Leuser Ecosystem, as originally planned.
As an alternative, they will construct a road connecting Peurelak.
The government has maintained that the Ladia Galaska highway, which will link the west and east coasts of the province, is expected to stimulate economic activity in the province's western coastal areas.
But environmentalists in Indonesia and abroad have been concerned about the adverse effects of the project, which was started in 2002, cut through a large swathe of the delicate Leuser Ecosystem.
They also doubted the economic benefits of the project as it would only pass through villages a with limited number of people.
The NGOs also said on Tuesday that the resumption of the project would open the way for people to illegally cut down timber in the protected forest areas and hunt down protected
orangutans as well as other species.
"After the tsunami, there will be another environmental disaster (if the project is continued). So we appeal to the State Minister of the Environment to halt the project," Indro
said.
The activists had also launched an international campaign to put pressure on the Indonesian government to abandon the project,
calling on foreign donors to stop the disbursement of funds for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of Aceh until the government improved on its commitment to protect the environment.
Meanwhile, Greg McDonald of the Sumatra Orangutan Society claimed that the organization had collected signatures from approximately 80,000 people from 40 countries, appealing to the
government to drop the project.
He added that the organization had also sent a letter to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono with a similar plea.
"We hope the President realizes that the Ladia Galaska project has become an international issue," he said, describing the project as a vandalism against the environment.

#14308 - 17 Sep 06 08:35 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
morning semar!! sore di sini...i see you online now..lol!! *smoochez*

off to mandi!! 45 min...wish me luck! :p

#14309 - 17 Sep 06 08:40 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
JakChat Recent Visitors: 15
wallet-digga', KuKuKaChu, and 13 guest(s)

yep, it's you, me and 13 lurkers!

#14310 - 17 Sep 06 08:48 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
oildude is on! selamat pagi oildude..how was your sleep? did you get any luck? :p

#14311 - 17 Sep 06 08:52 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Slept like a log! Had some urgent business to attend to yesterday! (Its called Beer).

#14312 - 17 Sep 06 11:00 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Good morning All,.sun is shining,.birds are singing and I feel like shite,.........to many voddies last night laugh laugh laugh

(George Bernard Shaw)

#14313 - 17 Sep 06 11:03 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Too many voddies - No shit Sherlock! Thats not like you!

#14314 - 17 Sep 06 11:05 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Balibob Offline
Member**

Still plenty of shite Dilli,........so had to do something to take my mind off it,.....whatr the fuck's Dilli done with the gremlins??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#14315 - 17 Sep 06 11:09 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I had an interesting night out with the Pope!

He got caught short in the Blok!

#14316 - 17 Sep 06 11:10 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Balibob Offline
Member**

I think KUKU is still fucken aboot we this software,.as not a lot working this am

(George Bernard Shaw)

#14317 - 17 Sep 06 11:11 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Morning Dilli, Pak Bob and Semar! Off for catching some works now...c u!

#14318 - 17 Sep 06 11:13 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Balibob Offline
Member**

Morning Lu LU,.it's sunday dear,.day of rest and recharge batteries dear,.....not working ,.I m off to ACE hardware to buy some rubbish

(George Bernard Shaw)

#14319 - 17 Sep 06 11:15 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Forgot to add the picture of the Pope. Scroll back three posts

#14320 - 17 Sep 06 21:24 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Member+

uhh, can we go ontopic??? thnx for the info kuku! apparently , the rainforest is still in danger, although, fortunately theydecided to cancel at least one part of the construction

#14321 - 17 Sep 06 23:25 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hey Karel! Get real! Posting on JC will neither raise awareness nor change Govt policies!

Of course the fucking rain forest's are in jeopardy! How to change this situation! Give the poor money to replant and stop the "big fish" chopping the tree's down!

Answer me in an essay of not more than 250 words how we are going to achieve this!

#14322 - 17 Sep 06 23:37 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Rant Part 2.

Fucking Tree Hugger's!

Give me a fucking break. I've been places the environmentalist's dont go, want to make a difference! Do it yourself!

The powers that be in both Sumatra & Kalimantan will eat you for breakfast!

Dont get me wrong, I tried and got fucked!

Over to you - Big Boy!

#14323 - 17 Sep 06 23:51 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Member+

what do you mean? the government now has abit more control it seems, just expell all logging companies from the country. and put high punishments for anyone that is involved in logging , or destruction of the forest.

#14324 - 17 Sep 06 23:55 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
but they still keep cutting the trees from my jungle, I still can see the trucks full loaded with logging frown

#14325 - 18 Sep 06 00:05 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
Member+

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Rant Part 2.

Fucking Tree Hugger's!

Give me a fucking break. I've been places the environmentalist's dont go, want to make a difference! Do it yourself!

The powers that be in both Sumatra & Kalimantan will eat you for breakfast!

Dont get me wrong, I tried and got fucked!

Over to you - Big Boy!
well is that a reason just to let them destroy everything forever?? i dont think so, as long as there is forest and animals left there is a reason to protest it from its destruction. Better let your voice hear then just let it go silently.

#14326 - 18 Sep 06 01:22 Re: whats the status of Ladia Galaska ??
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Karel, your interest and passion in saving Indonesian (actually Aceh's) forests are commendable. I give you my full moral support.

But I will also tell you that 99.9% of Indonesians, as nice as they are, really don't give a flying f&*k about the sanctity of trees or forest animals. I've never met a group a people more cruel to animals actually.

BUT, you really need to think about our societies in N. America and W. Europe -- we didn't care about forests or wild animals 300~400 years ago, but very slowly we've come to realize their importance and great value to the Earth's ecosystem. Well now, 99.9% of Indonesians still don't realize these things and almost all of the local eco-NGOs are just scamming American and European donors. All they have to do is pay lip service to the donors, make some official statements and viola, money pours in. (And they all say, "hee hee hee, we are so clever"), BUT they also make deals with the govt and big companies and eventually the result is the forests still get chopped down. The NGOs get their Euros and dollars and the govt and logging companies get their Euros and Dollars, so everybody here is happy and gay about the whole arrangement.

At the End of the Day all you can really do is try to "speed up" that 300~400 year understanding gap by educating Indonesians about the value of caring for our Earth's forests and animals.

But be prepared, because some learned Indonesians might argue that "when the West was developing, everybody exploited the land and became rich, and now you Europeans and Americans want to tell us we should not do as your grandparents did in order to get rich and become developed."

Moderator:  NetCop