Are the bars open today?

#13463 - 17 Aug 06 09:53 Re: MERDEKA!
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Are the bars open today?
you philistine! how can you even think about drinking on a day like this?

#13464 - 17 Aug 06 10:28 Re: MERDEKA!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
What are the options?

or

Difficult choice!

#13465 - 17 Aug 06 10:33 Re: MERDEKA!
Pooh Bah

go with

it's more in accordance with national norms.

#13466 - 17 Aug 06 10:38 Re: MERDEKA!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Hmmm, not too many around in Jkt. Looks like its going to have to be the pub!

#13467 - 17 Aug 06 11:31 Re: MERDEKA!
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
I only wish I can be merdeka from my long constant horniness!

#13468 - 17 Aug 06 12:34 Re: MERDEKA!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

A suitable time to consider the question - has the life of the average Indonesian got any better since throwing off colonial rule?

Of course lifestyles are better now than in 1945, but this would happen with or without independence.

So what did the struggle achieve?

Would little Fera begging on the side of the freeway have been any worse off if you were still under Dutch rule?

#13469 - 17 Aug 06 16:29 Re: MERDEKA!
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Kamu belum MERDEKA Kuku sayang!
apa kabar jalan jaksa?
apakah semua terkendali dengan baik..

#13470 - 17 Aug 06 16:41 Re: MERDEKA!
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I had a bizarre experience last night coming home from the pub. When I was driving through the entrance gate to my complex, which is like 99% Chinese-Indo and 1% foreigners (no muslims or pribumi except maids and drivers), the pribumi Muslim security guard gave me this evil glare and pointed at the Merah-Putih flag and shouted "MERDEKA" while pointing a hand-shaped 'gun' to his head and gesturing violently at me. I stopped and asked "what merdeka? What are you free from? Here you are at 2a.m. opening the gate for foreigners, your country has not given you an education, your country has not raised you out of poverty and you rely on foreigners and chinese to pay your bowl of rice a day. Ya that flag and independence have helped you, mate, you should hold your head high and salute the merah-putih again"

The other security guys, who have known me for years, stepped in and stopped the "discussion" when they realized both of our temperatures were rising to a boling point...and so I drove off to my nice house, ate a ham and cheese sandwich and climbed into bed in my air-conditioned room with my lovely chinese wife. He remained sitting there all night, presumably very proud of his "independence".

This is the "success" of the ultra-nationalist propaganda over the years, in that it keeps these poor, uneducated people thinking they are happy achievers and not actually miserable.

Finally, any ideas Kuku et al, as to why he would've made that gun-to-the-head gesture at me? Some kind of threat or reminder that his people kicked the Dutch out at gunpoint??

#13471 - 17 Aug 06 18:06 Re: MERDEKA!
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Jokie Jokie Girl:
Kamu belum MERDEKA Kuku sayang!
apa kabar jalan jaksa?
apakah semua terkendali dengan baik..
semua sangat meriah di jalan jaksa.

there's lots of children's races and stupid competitions. some of the bule tourists are thinking they are getting a taste of local culture by getting involved, which is always a tad embarrassing. but nonetheless, it's a pity the jalanjaksa.com reporter wasn't here to cover the events ...

#13472 - 17 Aug 06 18:15 Re: MERDEKA!
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by riccardo:
Finally, any ideas Kuku et al, as to why he would've made that gun-to-the-head gesture at me? Some kind of threat or reminder that his people kicked the Dutch out at gunpoint??
we always need to remind ourselves that the whole idea of "indonesia" is an artificial construct. indonesian nationalism is also forced and constructed, but it does serve a purpose in giving a sense of identity. if people stopped believing in indonesia -- and yes, there is a quasi-religious element there -- then the country would simply collapse into dozens of fragile and nonviable fragments. thus, the non-negotiability of NKRI, the unitary indonesian state, at least as far as the national elite are concerned.

and your security guard? well, there are weak-minded individuals the world over who need nationalist crutches, not just in indonesia (the US springs to mind wink ), however to some extent i think it could come down to a sense of dignity. being colonised is undignified and shameful.

#13473 - 17 Aug 06 18:48 Re: MERDEKA!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ricardo is on the same path I am on. I watched Rhodesia, richest country in Africa, throw out its colonial rulers, and slide ever quicker into famine and poverty. It took just 25 years.

What is better, a full belly and work, or freedom from colonial rule? Shameful but alive at 50 is better than no shame but dead at 30.

And all that happens is one bunch of colonials are replaced by internal colonials. Bureaucrats, powerful families, gangsters and criminals…

My daily battles with the tax department, with the local authorities, government bodies, politicians, and other such idiots, would be no different if they were Martian colonialists.

#13474 - 17 Aug 06 18:51 Re: MERDEKA!
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

And of course, Dutch colonialists were indeed replaced with Chinese ones....... What the Dutch did at gunpoint, the Chinese did with bribery.

Rick - my advice, you should have beaten the crap out of the security guard. He would respect you more.

Moderator:  NetCop