Take a look at the following advert.
Notice that it restricts applicants to the "old boys Club" of people with "At least 3 years experience working for humanitarian/development organizations in emergency, reconstruction or post-conflict situations".....
Then wonder why the relief work is fucked up, and remains fucked up. And will stay they way unless they throw this bunch of idiots out and bring in Professional Managers….
International Relief and Development, Inc. (IRD)
Location city: Banda Aceh
Location country: Indonesia
Closing date: 12 Jul 2006
Position Title: Project Manager, Rural Watsan Component
Posting: Banda Aceh, Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam, Indonesia
Duration: 1 Year with possibility of extension
International Relief and Development, Inc. (IRD) is implementing Phase 2 of the Small Towns and Rural Communities Water Restoration Program in various districts of Aceh Province. This program will be implemented for 12 months in Phase 2 and has 2 major components: the Small Towns (Urban) Watsan Component and Rural Watsan Component. The Small Towns component aims to rehabilitate at least 6 water treatment plants and 4 water distribution systems in Aceh Besar, Pidie, Bireuen and Lhokseumawe. The Rural Component aims to construct 38 Watsan facilities in 38 UNICEF schools and health centers located within Aceh Barat and Nagan Raya and implement 16 village Watsan restoration programs within Aceh Besar.
The Project Manager, Rural Watsan Component is responsible for providing technical and administrative leadership in the implementation of Rural Component of the Water Restoration Programme. Interacting closely with the UNICEF, PDAM, BRR, local governments, IRD contractors, community leaders and water users; the Project Manager shall take the lead in supporting grass-root level communities in participatory needs assessments, project planning and guiding them through small scale labour-based rural water and sanitation schemes. The Project Manager is responsible for the technical aspects of engineering assessments and designs for water, wastewater, drainage and sanitation in 54 villages in Aceh Barat, Nagan Raya and Aceh Besar, including the 38 villages with UNICEF Schools and Health Centres. He will ensure effective and timely implementation of the projects, and promote maximum participation and strengthening of local leaders and communities to take over and sustain the projects upon completion.
The incumbent shall have the following responsibilities:
- Supervise and train a team of 1 Community Development Specialist (international), 1 Distribution Systems Design Specialist (international), 5 national Project/Site Officers, 11 national Project Assistants including 1 AutoCAD operator, and 3 Community Development Assistants.
- Develop a detailed implementation plan for the Rural Watsan Component in close consultation with the Watsan/Infrastructure Team Leader, consultants, the national engineers and site supervisors, and counterparts from UNICEF, the PDAM, the local leaders, and other NGOs and agencies operating in the target areas;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of several teams deployed in various locations in the districts of Aceh Barat, Nagan Raya, Banda Aceh and Aceh Besar and ensure optimal participation and involvement of target communities and other key stakeholders in the project in close coordination with the IRD Infrastructure/Watsan Team Leader, UNICEF Representatives, BRR, Community Leaders and water users and other partners;
- Conduct site inspections and supervise the preparation of engineering plans and designs, bill of quantities, and cost estimates related to various projects under the Rural Watsan Component;
- Supervise and ensure fairness, transparency and accountability in the conduct of tendering, contracting and procurement procedures in accordance to applicable Indonesian laws as well as related policies, standards and procedures of UNICEF, IRD and BRR;
- Provide overall monitoring, supervision and technical assistance to the work of contractors, suppliers and partners;
- Design and conduct training sessions to develop the capacities of community leaders and water users and other partners in collaboration with the Infastructure/Watsan Team Leader, UNICEF, ESP and PDAM;
- Supervise the work of short-term international engineering consultants assigned to the Urban/Small Towns Watsan Component;
- Ensure the rapid and timely implementation of the workplans;
- Submit regular monthly reports and provide regular updates on the status of project implementation;
- Perform other tasks as maybe assigned by the Infrastructure/Watsan Team Leader and/or the IRD Director of Aceh Programs.
The successful candidate shall have the following qualifications:
- A licensed Engineer at the minimum and preferably with a master’s degree in civil, process engineering or a closely related field;
- Five to eight years broad based experience in design, planning and execution of works of social infrastructure schemes;
- A thorough understanding of community participatory approaches and natural aptitude for interactions at grass-root level;
- At least 3 years experience in managing an engineering/construction team and/or contractors;
- Has strong conceptual planning skills, and current knowledge of technologies, standards and best practice approaches relevant and applicable to conditions in the Aceh province;
- At least 3 years experience working for humanitarian/development organizations in emergency, reconstruction or post-conflict situations;
- A team player with strong experience in working with communities, nationals and a multi-cultural team/organization;
- Capable to doing multi-tasking roles under demanding field conditions;
- Conversational skills of Bahasa Indonesia will be a strong asset
Reference Code: RW_6QPU4A-48