Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11367 - 06 Jul 06 09:33 Tidak Emissi – No “fugging” chance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Green activists tried to put pressure on the Jakarta Police to make an emissions test certificate mandatory for car owners. This test would be made while extending their vehicle registration papers.

The city administration has attempted to enforce the air pollution bylaw in which there are two major points such as the smoking ban in restricted areas (Ha Ha – have a fag on Sudirman and watch the long arm try to nick you! I’ve watched the cops outside Ratu Plaza having a cigarette themselves, never mind the Mall Ban, Jakarta’s shopping areas are still redolent of clove’s, all that’s happened is that the inveterate tobacco addicts have moved to fire escapes).

More laughably as mentioned above, how do you ensure that the emissions tests for car owners is performed - legally.
It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that vehicular exhaust emissions greatly contribute to the worsening of Jakarta's air. The Police however, have not taken the regulation seriously as officers in charge of extending the vehicle registration documents have not asked car owners to submit emissions test certificates. (They do however, ask for the obligitary brown envelope in lieu of said certificate).

The problem seems to be that the centre for vehicle licensing (SAMSAT) still works under a 1980 law requiring public and commercial vehicles to have emission tests (another joke, tell me where you have seen a bus, with the exception of TransJakarta vehicles which do not belch forth the monoxide menace). The old law does not take account of private car owners.

It has been suggested that the relevant departments seek a solution to the differences in the 1980 law and the 2005 bylaw, however, as is always the way in the Big Durien, this will take time. Primarily this is due to the fact that an officer makes more money accepting the brown enevelopes than he would sitting in meetings to resolve “smoke related issues”.

The second option was for the police to adopt the bylaw without changing their present procedure. (Not a chance, this would mean the demise of their lunch money).

Jakarta Greenies responded with "This is the best alternative that can be done in a short time to boost public awareness of the importance of conducting an exhaust emissions test," Public Awareness my arse! Watch the motor brigade, the cholesterol of Jakarta’s arteries, each one sports the obligatory gas mask, well a handkerchief at least, while on the streets, pedestrians carry the mandatory face cloth as their principle defence against the “blue fug” . Educate the public, I think they already know quite well what the exhaust situation is!

Oh, while we are on the subject, there is a 1997 law on environmental management that stipulates that it is the responsibility of each individual to maintain a clean, pollution-free environment. Tell that to the bastard next door who insists on burning leaves, old Nasi wrappers, household waste, used engine oil and car tires. (Mind you, the tires only get burned when they have outlived their fiftieth retread).

Meanwhile, Jakarta's Pollution Control Agency (they have one?) acknowledged that the number of car owners performing emission tests had continued to drop in recent months.

Auto workshops throughout the capital tested at least 50 cars a day in February when the administration first enforced the bylaw. Currently, on average auto workshops test only 30 cars every day. So that’s about 20 vehicles a day getting registered now without testing at the garage and with the aid of the brown envelope.

Eighty auto garages have been authorized to conduct emissions tests.

Hmm, 1600 brown envelopes a day, seem’s like a nice little earner!

To highlight this problem our pollution control police sent a letter to Jakarta Police, highlighting the many problems. The boys in brown, as always rise to the occasion!

When asked to comment on the letter of the green activists, Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. I Getbyequitewell said he had not heard about it.
"I must not have not read the letter, that is, if it was really sent to us," he said.

Yippee, meanwhile Jakarta chokes!

#11368 - 06 Jul 06 09:42 Re: Tidak Emissi – No “fugging” chance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

This bus just got registered! Tidak Emissi

#11369 - 06 Jul 06 10:07 Re: Tidak Emissi – No “fugging” chance
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
The city administration has attempted to enforce the air pollution bylaw in which there are two major points such as the smoking ban in restricted areas (Ha Ha – have a fag on Sudirman and watch the long arm try to nick you! I’ve watched the cops outside Ratu Plaza having a cigarette themselves, never mind the Mall Ban, Jakarta’s shopping areas are still redolent of clove’s, all that’s happened is that the inveterate tobacco addicts have moved to fire escapes).
i never figured out why the city administration tied cigarette smoking with vehicle exhaust emissions. dumb. smoking should be attacked as a health issue primarily.

btw my browser spell checker keeps wanting to change "Dilli" to "Gilligan". there's a message in there somewhere ...

#11370 - 06 Jul 06 10:29 Re: Tidak Emissi – No “fugging” chance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

He was the guy with all the good looking girls chasing him! Figures!

#11371 - 06 Jul 06 10:40 Re: Tidak Emissi – No “fugging” chance
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
umm yeah ok whatever ........

Moderator:  NetCop