Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11077 - 28 Jun 06 04:41 CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Europe's human rights body has called for steps to ensure terror suspects never again "disappear into thin air" from European soil.
The Council of Europe accused states of colluding with the CIA on secret flights transferring prisoners to third countries where they could be tortured.

It urged governments and parliaments in each state to hold their own inquiries.

The US admits renditions have taken place but denies that people sent overseas are subjected to torture.

"People should not be allowed to disappear into thin air, regardless of the crimes of which they accused," said Council of Europe Secretary General Terry Davis.

"If we want to be safe we must be fair.

"The only effective measures against terrorism are those which stop more terrorists than they help to recruit."

Investigation 'duty'

Mr Davis said he would be making recommendations to the 46 member states later this year on how to introduce legal safeguards to prevent renditions or other human rights abuses by foreign security agencies.

Authorities in several European countries actively participated with the CIA in these unlawful activities

Draft report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/07_06_06_renditions_draft.pdf

Earlier this month, Swiss Senator Dick Marty published a report accusing 14 European countries of helping the CIA spin a "spider's web" of disappearances, secret detentions and illegal flights.

The report, based on air traffic logs, satellite images and personal testimonies said there was evidence that Poland and Romania had allowed the CIA to set up secret detention centres on their territory.

Most countries have followed Poland and Romania in denying any wrongdoing.

Critics have pointed out that the report provides circumstantial evidence rather than any hard proof.

But the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe approved on Tuesday a resolution based on the Marty report, which said it had been "demonstrated incontestably" that secret detentions and illegal flights took place.

It calls for:

In-depth inquiries at a national level
A review of the legal framework regulating the intelligence services
A review of agreements with the US on the use of military infrastructure to ensure they comply with human rights norms
Efforts to develop "a truly global strategy" against terrorism, with the US
Member states are obliged to respond.

'Scalpel torture'

EU Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini, who took part in the debate, also said the flights were a "fact" which the member states had a duty to investigate.

Mr Davis said his own questioning of member states had revealed that no European country currently had adequate legal safeguards to prevent renditions occurring.

He said foreign security agencies were not subject to effective control, and that countries currently had no way of knowing whether aircraft in their airspace were being used for purposes compatible with the European Convention on Human Rights.

He also said there should be exceptions to state immunity in cases of serious abuses of human rights.

A video put together by human rights group Witness, including testimony from men who say they were tortured after being detained by the CIA, was shown on the sidelines of the session in Strasbourg.

Khalid El-Masri, a German citizen, recalls waking up in a prison in Kabul where he was told by an interrogator: "You are in a country with no laws... We can lock you up here for 20 years or bury you, no-one would know."

Binyam Mohammed, an Ethiopian citizen arrested in Pakistan for travelling on a false passport, is still being held at Guantanamo Bay.

In the film, his brother reads from a diary entry which talks about Binyam Mohammed being systematically wounded with a scalpel.

Mr Marty's inquiry will now be continued by a sub-committee of the Parliamentary Assembly.

A parallel inquiry by a European Parliament committee will also continue its work for at least another six months.

"It is essential that the states concerned clarify the situation in their own countries in the light of the initial findings of the investigations carried out at European level"

Franco Frattini,
EU Justice Commissioner

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5119650.stm

Peter Kay

#11078 - 01 Jul 06 18:15 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I have no problem with the planes taking off full of Islamic fanatics.

I just object to them landing in the same plane...

#11079 - 01 Jul 06 20:39 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
U mean u throw them away while up high in the sky laugh

#11080 - 01 Jul 06 23:41 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I would rather think of it as "asking them to step outside".......

#11081 - 01 Jul 06 23:49 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
sort of "step this way for the bargains,.old chaps' sort of request u mean PB??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11082 - 02 Jul 06 00:01 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
*Attention please, this is captain speaking, we've been hijacked by a Polar Bear. We manage to keep him inside the cockpit and tied him down. However, I'm afraid that we cannot hold him much longer. So for your own ass safety, all of you have to step outside. The flight attedances will guide you to the all exits available. Please do this as soon as possible, as I know it's better to die rather have a Polar Bear screwing his huge sausage in your asses!!!! It's not kosher!!!!*

#11083 - 02 Jul 06 00:04 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

How do U know know it's better to die,.LL that have PB's sausage??..and if the terrorsists are "Ragheads" then the they want a sausage up the ass thats not Kosher,.no way you get them to jump of that plane if you offer that deal,,..sorry

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11084 - 02 Jul 06 00:26 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Hey I'm not the captain?! I just merely reply the black box. As for kosher or not...I also don't know what in these "Ragheads" perspective about something kosher or not, I'm no mosleem either?!

Check this out, it's real story...

A Catholic Roman priest just landed in Cengkareng airport after his one month holiday, back at Italy, his home country. He has this one suitcase full of Crosses, religious books, Bibles that he get from Vatican; and also two bottles of liquor for his own leisure (we do know priest is allow to drink alchohol). Anyway, someone steal the suitcase. The priest doesn't inform the police about incident as he knows of the Indonesian police beaucracy. He went home and start calling stores in Jakarta which supply christian merchandises. He knows it's hard to sell the things in his suitcase. So he ask the store management, if someone bring a large suitcase with the things he describe, please hold the person to stay there as long as they can while the management would inform him right away. After few days, he get the call and go to the store asap. He meet the thief and find his suitcase back. However, he quite surprised that the alchohol is untouched. He asked the thief why you did not sell these bottles or just have it for your self? The thief answer, please Sir, it's a sin and not kosher for me to consume alchohol or try to make any other mosleem get drunk.......
So stealing is fine then????!!!!!

#11085 - 02 Jul 06 00:34 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

remember where u are dearest?? .it's fine to steal if you are a moslim,..look what's happened to Indo,.they all stealing laugh

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11086 - 02 Jul 06 00:36 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Yeah that's why....as I said, I just merely replay the blackbox, Bapak Bob! :p

#11087 - 02 Jul 06 00:39 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

Yap I understand dear,....U just the person who find the black box,..... so anyway how's your weekend been so far??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11088 - 02 Jul 06 00:41 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

It's okay! You should bring me asinan bogor for my oleh2, then it would make my day! laugh

#11089 - 02 Jul 06 00:44 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

u should have told me about that before i left dear and i would have got it for u,....now too late,.next week balikpapan and manado,.u need any oleh x2 from there??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11090 - 02 Jul 06 00:50 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

I don't know what's good from those two places.
Anyway, just bring me some yummy foods!...ah yes, don't forget to get some cute sheeps for Dilli too... :p

#11091 - 02 Jul 06 00:55 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

no sheeps in where I am going dear,.but i am sure I can find him something interesting,....will bring you back some interesting local foods for sure,.especially from Manado,.hope u like it Padas

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11092 - 02 Jul 06 00:57 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

I like hot foods, just don't bring me the manado dog meat!

#11093 - 02 Jul 06 01:01 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

hehehehe,..no dear,.dogs are Dilli's 2nd choice after the poor sheeps laugh

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11094 - 02 Jul 06 01:06 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

eek then you better watch your russian lovers closely if Dilli visit you!

#11095 - 02 Jul 06 01:10 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

for sure dear,.no way Dilli getting near Smirnoff or Gorbachov

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11096 - 02 Jul 06 01:18 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Good to know! As much as I sympathize Dilli's right hand, still I hate if Dilli get chance to screw their innocences.... :p
Am watching the soccer game now, then off to bed, need to catch my WD sista in the morning, LA time.

mad Damn the game is not finish! Just score a goal, boys!!!!!!! What the difficult thing about kicking ball anyway?! :rolleyes:

Good night Pak Bob, have a pleasant evening! smile

#11097 - 02 Jul 06 01:23 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

U too dear and sweet dreams,........I am sure Dilli will retaliate besok,.be ready,..good night laugh

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11098 - 02 Jul 06 10:22 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Why should I retaliate! I am in great mood this morning!

#11099 - 02 Jul 06 10:27 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
hehhe ... because of poor engerland?

#11100 - 02 Jul 06 11:13 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Balibob Offline
Member**

appreciate that Dilli, but every sheep has his day,...or is that correct??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#11101 - 02 Jul 06 11:42 Re: CIA flights 'must not reoccur'
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar

I’d like to inform you that I was absolutely delighted by England’s sensational extra-time dismissal by Portugal in the World Cup quarter final this morning.

I really wanted England to lose, in a veins-in-the-forehead-bulging "come on Portugal don’t let these Sassenach scumbags win" manner. I’m not proud of it, and I know such small-mindedness diminishes me as a human being.

And the most ridiculous part of this behaviour is that I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Scottish nationalist. I find it hard to believe that, almost 300 years on, some people are still questioning the value of the Union - and I have no respect for those who use the language of Bannockburn and Culloden, whether it’s to stoke up fervour for a sports fixture or as a rallying call for independence.

I also like the English. Some of them are friends and one or two are relatives. They’re our nearest neighbours, and together we’ve been the greatest force for civilisation and economic and social development the world has ever seen. So why is it, then, that I know deep in my heart that if the English football team played North Korea - a deplorable nation which tortures its own people and holds a nuclear threat over the rest of us - I’d be rooting on the boys from Pyongyang and chowing down on boiled Shih Tzu?

I’m not alone. When in 2004, the Scottish rugby team, flying back from Australia after their own routine humping in the Rugby World Cup, were invited to wish England well in their semi-final against France the players responded by belting out ‘La Marseillaise’. England manager Clive Woodward complained that he’d received good luck messages from the Welsh and Irish rugby teams, but that the fax seemed to be broken at the Scottish Rugby Union.

Remember Andrew Wilson? He was regarded as the brainiest man in the SNP until he famously called on Scots to back England at Euro 2000. And what happened to him? He was blown out, first by his own party and then by the voters. He was last seen working as a public relations man for a bank, which seems an excessive punishment even for that crime.

Not that it is acceptable to back England’s opponents just because so many other Scots hold exactly the same prejudice. In January 1973 more people bought ‘Long-Haired Lover from Liverpool’ by ‘Little’ Jimmy Osmond than ‘The Jean Genie’, by David Bowie. In sport as in music, comfort in numbers is no excuse for unacceptable behaviour.

Support Eng-er-lund, impossible... many have made passionate requests for me to do so, but, certainly not enough to persuade me to break the habit of a lifetime and root for the English.

I’m not proud of this, as every sensible, politically-correct fibre in my being tells me that I should put such petty prejudices aside. There have been many suggestions as to why I - like thousands of Scots - cannot do that. It’s small nation syndrome, say some, the product of centuries of domination by a bigger neighbour, first on the battlefield, then on the sports field. It’s plain old jealousy, say others. If true, neither theory says much about our self-esteem and world view.

But it would be so much easier to support England if they weren’t so English. They are patronising in victory and bitter in (recently rare) defeat. Centuries of pink bits on maps have left them with an out-of-date impression of their own importance.

Worse, they don’t see their own faults. I heard one of the English squad on the news this week enthusing about how nice it was to be part of a team which was doing jolly well, (SIC).

Thank F**k there will be no more 1966! At least for the rest of the year!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop