Rate This Topic
#10667 - 20 Jun 06 06:40 Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Daniel Taylor in Baden-Baden
Monday June 19, 2006
The Guardian

Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed Wayne Rooney will start England's match against Sweden tomorrow but the coach is considering a more radical alteration that would see an angry Steven Gerrard sit out the final group game.
Rooney was asked to partner Michael Owen in attack yesterday during England's final training session in the Black Forest before heading to Cologne, while Owen Hargreaves took the place of Gerrard in midfield. Eriksson also considered playing Tottenham's Jermaine Jenas in place of Frank Lampard, but in the end stuck to his assertion of Saturday that he would change no more than two of his starting line-up for a game England do not need to win.

The Swede has primed Hargreaves to play in a one-off 4-1-3-2 formation. The Bayern Munich player was handed a first-team bib in training and looks set to play in a holding midfield role that will give Lampard the licence to break forward and support the Owen-Rooney axis in attack.
Gerrard, among the reserves yesterday and reportedly none too happy about it, is expected to be left out to protect him from a second yellow card that would rule him out of the first knockout phase, when England will play Germany or Ecuador. Peter Crouch, whose place will be taken by Rooney, is in the same situation, although the biggest factor in Eriksson's decision to replace him is that he wants Rooney to hone his sharpness before the next round of matches.

"With our medical staff we've discussed it and they and I think he [Rooney] can play more than 45 minutes," Eriksson said. "And, if he can play more than 45, it is better that he starts the game rather than coming on."

Though Rooney looked conspicuously off the pace when he came on as a second-half substitute during the win over Trinidad & Tobago, the centre-half John Terry has been impressed by his performances in training: "I think he'd tell you he'd got 160 minutes in him. He does look very good. Marking him is a nightmare so obviously it's looking good. He's looking very sharp and very ready to go."

Jamie Carragher is likely to continue deputising for Gary Neville, although the Manchester United full-back has resumed light training and seems to be making encouraging progress from the calf injury that ruled him out of Thursday's victory.

Referee is familiar face

England will be refereed by a familiar face when they take on Sweden in Cologne tomorrow. Massimo Busacca from Switzerland was also the referee when Sven-Goran Eriksson's side were beaten 1-0 by Northern Ireland in Belfast in World Cup qualifying last September. Wayne Rooney was lucky to avoid being sent off when he hurled abuse at Busacca - and his captain David Beckham - after being booked during one of the most humiliating defeats of Eriksson's reign. This is Busacca's first World Cup and he also refereed Spain's 4-0 victory against Ukraine when he sent off Vladislav Vashchuk.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1800779,00.html

Peter Kay

#10668 - 20 Jun 06 06:43 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Hargreaves for Gerrard and Jenas for Lampard, even with Yellow cards Sven is showing that he just cant organise the team to their best advantage........and the Swedes can play very good football, and have shown us up in the past on two occasions.....oh I love the world cup.

Peter Kay

#10669 - 20 Jun 06 06:56 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Lulling you into a false sense of security are we..... smile

#10670 - 21 Jun 06 04:07 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Oh Shit, Owen out for probably the rest of the World cup, and possibly the first few months of the premiership. Sven now has Rooney (not looking too fit) Crouch (10 goals in a season) and Theo Walcott (never played a premiership game) as strikers....and Sweden are giving us a good game, as promised. England were winning 1-0 when I last got updated

Peter Kay

#10671 - 21 Jun 06 04:08 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

1-1 Marcus Allback for Sweden just equalised

Peter Kay

#10672 - 21 Jun 06 04:15 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Ferdinand has just limped off with an injury, Campbell has replaced him. I think this basically means we have a less mobile defender on, however I would always go for Campbell before Ferdinand, due to him being more of a dependable player, plus I never have been one to hand out compliments to Man Utd players.

Peter Kay

#10673 - 21 Jun 06 04:24 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Sweden are putting heavy pressure on England at the moment.

Peter Kay

#10674 - 21 Jun 06 04:29 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Rooney has just been replaced by Steven Gerrard up front. In all honesty I have more hope of Gerrard and Sol Campbell scoring, than I ever will of Peter Crouch...Lanky streak of useless pish.

Peter Kay

#10675 - 21 Jun 06 04:36 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

75 mins: "England have run out of steam after the break, and there is now genuine concern among supporters. Rooney looked exhausted when he came off and they will have to dig in now against a resurgent Sweden to earn at least the point they need to top the group."
Phil McNulty, BBC Sport in Cologne

73 mins: "Rooney's still giving off stink on the bench about being taken off. He's thrown his boots down on the ground. Wayne, it's for your own good!"
Alan Green, Five Live Sport commentator

72 mins: If the first half was England's, the second is undeniably Sweden's. Kim Kallstrom is next to threaten, with his goalbound strike being kicked off the line by substitute Steven Gerrard.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4853282.stm

Peter Kay

#10676 - 21 Jun 06 04:41 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

80 mins: Ten minutes remain, and a game in which England appeared so comfortable at half-time is set for a tense finish. Sweden need a goal to get the win which will make sure they top the group and avoid Germany in the second round. They have the momentum and they are certain to go for it.

Peter Kay

#10677 - 21 Jun 06 04:41 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

82 mins: Beckham gets a free-kick on the left and a rare chance to alleviate the tension. But the Real Madrid man hoofs the ball far too hard and it goes out for a goal-kick.

Peter Kay

#10678 - 21 Jun 06 04:44 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

85 mins: GOAL Sweden 2-1 England
Fans across the nation heave a sigh of relief as Steven Gerrard nets his second goal of the tournament. Joe Cole supplies a superb cross and Gerrard heads powerfully past Andreas Isaksson.

Peter Kay

#10679 - 21 Jun 06 04:46 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

86 mins: Steven Gerrard's goal appears to have made England's place at the top of Group B secure. And ensured that England will not be playing Germany.

Magpie comment (which means that a useless swedish adulterer gets another fitful night asleep)...think you owe Gerrard a lot of money, and more time on the field Sven

Peter Kay

#10680 - 21 Jun 06 04:48 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

89 mins: The win is still not secure. Tobias Linderoth has caused all sorts of problems with his corners and another one flashes across the face of goal.

Peter Kay

#10681 - 21 Jun 06 04:49 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

90 mins: GOAL Sweden 2-2 England
England are destined to never beat Sweden ever again. Henrik Larsson appears to get the final touch after a long ball into the box. The England defence is in disarray.

Peter Kay

#10682 - 21 Jun 06 04:54 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

FULL-TIME Sweden 2-2 England
England are confirmed as Group B winners after a hard-earned point. There were positives for England, particularly with their first-half display. But a worrying injury to Michael Owen, and some horribly inept second-half defending means the question marks remain.

Magpie comment England now go on to play Equador. Sweden will play Germany. Personally hope the Swedes stuff the German's then come back and show Sven how to play as a team, something he is yet to inspire in the current English shambles.

Peter Kay

#10683 - 21 Jun 06 17:16 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
ohhh nice reporting bro!

#10684 - 21 Jun 06 17:45 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

We keep getting through.

Qute a few teams seem to be going home...

#10685 - 21 Jun 06 20:24 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I am waiting until we meet Scotland...... smile

#10686 - 22 Jun 06 04:22 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Polar Bear:
I am waiting until we meet Scotland...... smile
laugh wink

Peter Kay

#10687 - 22 Jun 06 08:23 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Then yese will get good and gubbed!

#10688 - 22 Jun 06 11:02 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Then yese will get good and gubbed!
I'm still waiting for Scotland to qualify...it all went down hill when Andy Goram retired!

Peter Kay

#10689 - 22 Jun 06 12:15 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Possibly old, and you may have seen this joke before, but I am sure some people havent.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i83/Magpie101/whyturkeywillneverbeatbrazil.jpg

Peter Kay

#10690 - 22 Jun 06 12:36 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
LOL...I love those pics!
those are hot boobies! i love this girl for showing up her boobies! she got my "yeah..go girl"!

#10691 - 22 Jun 06 12:39 Re: Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
LOL...I love those pics!
those are hot boobies! i love this girl for showing up her boobies! she got my "yeah..go girl"!
I thought they were very nice too, little bit too big for me though, I like pert and petite! shocked

Peter Kay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop