Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10658 - 20 Jun 06 06:10 Prosecution demands Saddam death
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
The defendants could face death by hanging if found guilty
The prosecution in the trial of ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has called for his execution as it delivered its closing arguments.
The prosecution said Saddam Hussein and two of his seven co-defendants should be put to death for war crimes.

The trial has now adjourned and judges will consider their verdict after final defence arguments on 10 July.

The defendants deny being responsible for the deaths of 148 Shia Muslim villagers in the 1980s.

The men are accused of launching a crackdown in the village of Dujail after a failed assassination attempt on Saddam Hussein.

In other developments:

An insurgent group linked to al-Qaeda says it is holding two US soldiers seized south of Baghdad on Friday
US and Iraqi troops push further into the western city of Ramadi
The UK says its troops will hand over security duties to Iraqi forces in the southern province of Muthanna next month.
Leniency

In the trial of Saddam Hussein and seven former aides, all defendants were in court as proceedings resumed on Monday.

Chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Mussawi said: "We demand the maximum punishment for Saddam, [his half-brother] Barzan al-Tikriti and [former vice-president] Taha Yassin Ramadan."

"They were spreading corruption on Earth... and even the trees were not saved from their oppression," Mr Mussawi said.

Trial timeline

Saddam Hussein, dressed in a black suit, muttered sarcastically from the dock: "Well done."

Mr Mussawi asked for charges against one defendant, Baath party official Mohammed Azawi Ali, to be dropped and for him to be freed.

The prosecutor also asked for three other defendants - Baath officials Abdullah Kadhem Ruaid, Ali Daeem Ali and Mizher Abdullah Ruaid - to be treated leniently.

Mr Mussawi made no specific calls on the fate of Awad Hamad al-Bandar, former chief judge of Saddam Hussein's revolutionary court.

Another prosecution lawyer, whose name has not been released for security purposes, had opened Monday's proceedings by saying defendants had "carried out a systematic, wide-scale attack" in Dujail.

"They carried out broad imprisonments of men, women and children, who were exposed to physical and mental torture, including the use of electrical shocks," he said.

The lawyer argued that the assassination attempt had been "fabricated" for "political aims".

Criticised

The defence has argued the crackdown was necessary in the wake of an attempt to kill Saddam Hussein.

It has also claimed that some of the 148 people the prosecution says were killed are still alive.

The trial has so far lasted eight months and has been criticised by some international legal experts.

Some said the defence had been given a disproportionately short period to present its witnesses.

The trial has also been marred by the killing of two defence lawyers and the resignation of the first chief judge in January

The law calls for the death penalty and this is what we ask be implemented

Jaafar al-Mussawi,
chief prosecutor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5093748.stm

Peter Kay

#10659 - 22 Jun 06 04:34 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
Magpie Offline
Member**

Saddam defence lawyer shot dead

One of the main lawyers defending former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein at his trial has been shot dead.
Khamis al-Obeidi's body was found dumped in the capital, Baghdad, hours after he was abducted from his home.

Defence lawyers have frequently complained that they have not been given enough protection, calling the trial's fairness into question.

Two other defence lawyers were murdered last year in the early stages of the trial, which is set to end next month.

Chief defence lawyer Khalil al-Dulaimi said Mr Obeidi was abducted from his home in Baghdad's northern Adhamiya district at about 0700 local time (0300 GMT) by men wearing police uniforms.

Police said Mr Obeidi's body was found with several bullet wounds near the Shia district of Sadr City.

Unlike Mr Dulaimi, who travels between Amman in Jordan and Baghdad for security reasons, Mr Obeidi had continued to live in the Iraqi capital.

In a BBC interview after one of his colleagues was killed last year, Mr Obeidi strongly denounced what he called the "assassination", and complained that the trial lawyers mostly had to organise their own personal protection.

Another lawyer on Saddam's defence team, Bushra al-Khalil, blamed US forces for Mr Obeidi's death, saying they had changed security arrangements for the lawyers, putting their lives at risk.

US sources say they have offered tougher security but that it has always been rejected, the BBC's Hugh Sykes in Baghdad says.

Trial criticism

Mr Obeidi was in court on Monday to hear the prosecution team make its closing arguments.

The prosecutors called for Saddam Hussein and two of his seven co-defendants to be put to death for war crimes.

The trial has now adjourned and judges will consider their verdict after final defence arguments on 10 July.

The defendants deny being responsible for the deaths of 148 Shia Muslim villagers in the 1980s.

The men are accused of launching a crackdown in the village of Dujail after a failed assassination attempt on Saddam Hussein.

The trial has so far lasted eight months and has been criticised by some international legal experts.

Some said the defence had been given a disproportionately short period to present its witnesses.

On 8 November two defence lawyers were shot in their car - one died. The previous month, one of their colleagues was abducted and was later found dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5101162.stm

Peter Kay

#10660 - 22 Jun 06 04:36 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
Magpie Offline
Member**

Saddam Hussein 'on hunger strike'

Saddam Hussein has begun a hunger strike in protest at the killing of a senior defence lawyer at his trial, members of his legal team say.
Khamis al-Obeidi's body was found dumped in the Iraqi capital hours after he was abducted from his home.

Saddam Hussein and his seven co-accused have vowed not to eat until their defence team received "international protection", Khalil al-Dulaimi said.

The eight are being tried in Baghdad charged with crimes against humanity.

The defendants deny being responsible for the deaths of 148 Shia Muslim villagers following an assassination attempt on Saddam Hussein in 1982.

Third victim

Khalil al-Dulaimi, Saddam's chief defence lawyer, said the defendants "went on a hunger strike today to protest the killing of Khamis al-Obeidi".

"They pledged not to end the strike until international protection is provided to the defence team," he told the Associated Press.

Defence lawyers have frequently complained that they have not been given enough protection, calling the trial's fairness into question.

Two other defence lawyers were murdered last year in the early stages of the trial, which is set to end next month.

In a BBC interview after one of his colleagues was killed last year, Mr Obeidi strongly denounced what he called the "assassination", and complained that the trial lawyers mostly had to organise their own personal protection.

Another lawyer on Saddam's defence team, Bushra al-Khalil, blamed US forces for Mr Obeidi's death, saying they had changed security arrangements for the lawyers, putting their lives at risk.

US sources say they have offered tougher security but that it has always been rejected, the BBC's Hugh Sykes in Baghdad says.

Stayed in Baghdad

Mr Obeidi was abducted from his home in Baghdad's northern Adhamiya district at about 0700 local time (0300 GMT) on Wednesday by men wearing police uniforms, said Mr Dulaimi.

Police said Mr Obeidi's body was found with several bullet wounds near the Shia district of Sadr City.

While Mr Dulaimi travels between Amman in Jordan and Baghdad for security reasons, Mr Obeidi had continued to live in the Iraqi capital.

Mr Obeidi was in court in Baghdad on Monday to hear the prosecution team make its closing arguments.

The prosecutors called for Saddam Hussein and two of his seven co-defendants to be put to death for war crimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5104286.stm

Peter Kay

#10661 - 22 Jun 06 05:22 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
hey my bro, how are you today? *hugs*
I slept like a corpse last night..*thanks*
and..I wasn't naked, I was a good gurl smile

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i33/baligirl_06/?action=view&current=meinBEDalone.jpg

#10662 - 22 Jun 06 05:33 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
Magpie Offline
Member**

Morning sweetness, hey have a look through the messages on JakChat....I left you a couple of notes that should make you smile!

And that picture is so cute! send to my private email??

Hugs and kisses for you today! And huge smiles, please! Oh and for future reference try "I slept like a log" I dont want you to be like a corpse, because I want you alive and well so I have someone to chat too! smile

Peter Kay

#10663 - 22 Jun 06 05:48 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

you slept like a log honey? damn.thats heavy! well, usually I sleep like this...

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i33/baligirl_06/?action=view&current=tami-passedout.jpg

see, I don't care a thing around me, those noisy friends snored like pigs!! laugh

notes on JakChat...lemme see...

#10664 - 22 Jun 06 06:58 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Godddammmm WD you are bloody cute. smile

#10665 - 22 Jun 06 07:27 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Thanks PB honey *kiss*
second pic, the passed-out one was taken yrs ago back at home in Bali. i was so drunk after partying with my friends. of course my parents didn't know smile otherwise we all dead!
we sneaked into the guest bedroom quitely and my brother took the pic! now i'm a good girl, no more party smile

#10666 - 22 Jun 06 10:37 Re: Prosecution demands Saddam death
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Saddam Hussein 'on hunger strike' ??

good! let him die or hang himself like his buds down in guantanamo!

Moderator:  NetCop